Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Anybody got any humorous book recommendations?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The series that started with 'A Year In the Merde' is very funny, it reminds a teeeny tiny bit of Ross O'Carroll Kelly, in a strange way. It's the 'real life account' of an Englishman's experience of working, living and loving in France, and the clashes caused by the cultural differences and the different approach to business and public service in England and France are priceless. There are three or four books in the series.

If you're looking for something hilarious which you could read in less than 5 minutes and it's perfect for this time of year, try with 'The Twelve Days of Christmas [Correspondence]' by a John Julius Norwich, and illustrated by Quentin Blake.

Another hilarious book, especially the first part, is Haven Kimmel's 'A girl named Zippy'.

And if you just want to be safe, go for any of P.G. Wodehouse books.

I'll probably think of a few more in a while, I'll post back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown.

Would probably be a good book if Tom Hanks didn't star in my imagination of the lead character Dr. Robert Langdon.

Have this strange opinion that once a character has been put to film from a novel then it's pointless carrying on with the books as all the readers see is the actors portrayal of their characters in their imagination and then all the fun is gone.

I get you. I hate when movies are made with characters from books I've read and they look nothing like you've imagined. Then you read a new book in the series and your image is just a bit tarnished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

madmaggie wrote: »
    I've read quite a few of his books. He is great at really capturing the atmosphere, and drawing the reader right into the travel experience. On the other hand, he can be a a self pitying, snobbish, arrogant twit. :)

I'm starting to see what you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

I started Deep South by Paul Theroux today. It's my first Paul Theroux book so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.
    You have got a superb back catalog to enjoy then.
    Pick up "The Old Patagonian Express" for your next read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy.

Great book. Half way through it struck me that Pat McCabe's Butcher Boy may have been influenced by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My first urban fantasy novel, Beyond Night's Dawn, now has a follow up available, Beyond Dawn's Light.

In the world a plague decimated humanity, and the witches revealed themselves to humans when they found a cure to the plague. In Beyond Night's Dawn, it was all about Grace dealing with vampires who were working magic to get their power during daylight. The second novel is a series of short stories, showing how the world is coping with the new revelation that not only are witches walking among humans, but also vampires, shifters and fae.

The first book is a pacy book, with something happening every chapter. The book of short stories definitely has pacy bits, but there's also contemplative stories such as a vampire returning to her family now they're out in the open, and seeing her mother for the first time in forty years, since she was turned.

The first book is available on Amazon for £1.99. So is the collection of short stories, but I'm trying to convince Amazon to make it free over the next few days.

The reviews for the first one have been good. And I think it's an exciting read, if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

cml387 wrote: »
    You have got a superb back catalog to enjoy then.
    Pick up "The Old Patagonian Express" for your next read.

Yep, that was a good one, though my favourites are Riding the Iron Rooster (by train through China), and The Happy Isles of Oceania. I worked in factory for nigh on 20 years, and on my break these books took me far away from the assembly line.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"The Dorito Effect" - basically how the food industry attempts to maximise profits by creating food that is of low nutritional value but quick to grow to market is at the root of the current obesity issue.

Any of the Sue Townsend books, my particular favourite is The Queen and I, where the Royal Family are sent to live on a council estate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You should check out the nursery crimes series by Jasper Fforde. He takes characters from nursery rhymes and puts them in the human world in modern day England. Very funny and guaranteed to bring back childhood memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just finished 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. I really enjoyed it, I haven't been disappointed that I had finished a book in ages.

It's a post-apocalyptic novel, very highly rated in reviews, but it follows a small group of people and their actions and reactions for periods before and after the worlds population was almost wiped out with a highly contageous flu.

Oh, and it's very reasonably priced in e-book form also.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Just finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. I really enjoyed it. Lots of 80's nostalgia in it. I've got his new book for reading after Christmas Slade House, which is a follow on from The Bone Clocks.

Just started reading the Goldfinch by Donna Tarte.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Just finished 'Spill Simmer Falter Wither ' by Sara Baume. Highly recommend it, a real page turner and thought provoker.
    I loved it.

Shop40 wrote: »
    Just finished 'Spill Simmer Falter Wither ' by Sara Baume. Highly recommend it, a real page turner and thought provoker.
    I loved it.

Thanks Shop40, I downloaded the sample on Kindle, and was hooked. Looking forward to reading it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have started For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gutenberg wrote: »

Love your username; that site has given me many a good read when I am too sick to get anywhere else. Zipping through paperbacks just now.... not at all well and it helps to read.. A Nora Roberts just started and a Harry Hole to come. Most charity shops now will sell these at 50 cents so I stocked up.. reading abed with 2 hot water bottles is sheer bliss...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Finished pet sematary - so creepy. Really enjoyed it. Went on and read cycle of the werewolf also by Stephen King and finished it in about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

gutenberg wrote: »

Let me know what you think of it.
    I have to admit I never really enjoyed any of Hemmingway's books, and I'm very curious about why so many people do - I feel maybe they understand something I don't, and I try to find out what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Just bought it,(station eleven) thanks for the recommendation- looks like it got great reviews, and its been awarded a lot of awards. I wonder is it a bit like the stand by Stephen King which is one of my favorites.
    WINNER OF THE ARTHUR C. CLARKE AWARD 2015
    Longlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2015
    2014 National Book Awards Finalist
    2015 PEN/Faulkner Award Finalist
    Thanks. I've just read Patrick Ness-The knife of never letting go. It was very good.

• Advertisement

Oh by the way, I found this great website that lets you know of all the ebook offers online and some are free albeit mainly thrillers ect. :
    you have to sign up but you could always use a disposable email address or a temporary one. https://www.guerrillamail.com/
    https://www.bookbub.com/home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading a book called the seeds of contemplation by catholic Trappist monk Thomas Merton.An excellent book for anybody wanting reconnect with their faith, or do anybody who wants to understand contemplation in a Christian sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Richard Holmes. The Age Of Wonder.

History of science in the 18th and early 19th centuries coupled with the Romantic poets. Bold adventure and inspired people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I always associate Christmas with books, books are a great gift.

I am reading a banquet of consonances by Elisabeth George at the moment, its not bad but not fantastic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Richard Holmes. The Age Of Wonder.

History of science in the 18th and early 19th centuries coupled with the Romantic poets. Bold adventure and inspired people.

Any lord Byron in it ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started reading Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles this morning. I remember reading some adaption (may have been a condensed version?) and enjoying it as a child so looking forward to reading the proper thing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Reading a book called the seeds of contemplation by catholic Trappist monk Thomas Merton.An excellent book for anybody wanting reconnect with their faith, or do anybody who wants to understand contemplation in a Christian sense.

sad man was that.. broke every vow he made. far better examples than that. You surely cannot separate life from faith as he did. By their fruits is the key...

KH25 wrote: »
    Finished pet sematary - so creepy. Really enjoyed it. Went on and read cycle of the werewolf also by Stephen King and finished it in about 30 minutes.

Hated that book. Never read another Stephen King after that.The difference between thriller and horror...

Started reading Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles this morning. I remember reading some adaption (may have been a condensed version?) and enjoying it as a child so looking forward to reading the proper thing.
    Ah yes,
    you can't beat a bit of Sherlock Holmes... now that's something as much as I love my Kindle that I would prefer to read on paper. Preferably a battered old copy of the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Eleven Rings by Phil Jackson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement