Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any lord Byron in it ?

He appears from time to time but it's mostly the scientists like Davy and Herschel.

Coleridge appears often.

Graces7 wrote: »
    sad man was that.. broke every vow he made. far better examples than that. You surely cannot separate life from faith as he did. By their fruits is the key...

His writings revived huge interest in Catholic practice and thought, and in the Cistercian vocation in particular. Anybody who enriches inter faith understanding and co-operation is to be applauded. I fault nobody for falling in love.

Pope Francis has said of him - "Merton was above all a man of prayer, a thinker who challenged the certitudes of his time and opened new horizons for souls and for the Church. He was also a man of dialogue, a promoter of peace between peoples and religions."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen. Very witty and funny in places.

...and so this is my 3,500th post.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm almost halfway through the Golden Fool and :eek:. Last nights read was a rollercoaster of emotions!

Robin Hobb tied in the The Liveship Traders wonderfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

"An Evil Mind" by Chris Carter.

Im only about 1/3 of the way in at the minute but its pretty decent so far.
    It's a crime thriller but the author, Chris Carter, previously worked as a criminal psychologist so he has a unique insight into the mind of serial killers and psychopaths. Plus, this novel is based on a real case from his time working with law enforcement.
    Worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm reading two at the moment. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I think it's my favourite of his so far. I'm reading them in order, so it's the third in the series.
    I'm also reading Children of 1916. Absolutely fascinating insight into The Rising, I have been shamed by how little I knew previously. I can't recommend it highly enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Graces7 wrote: »
    sad man was that.. broke every vow he made. far better examples than that. You surely cannot separate life from faith as he did. By their fruits is the key...

Sources please? As a huge fan of his work (which I assume you have read) he is very honest and open about his life but please let me know where you found out that he broke "every vow"

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Ivan Yates autobiography - only starting it now, looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Ye all need to man up and read The Road to Reality by Penrose which I'm working through

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

73Cat wrote: »
    I'm reading two at the moment. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I think it's my favourite of his so far. I'm reading them in order, so it's the third in the series.

You have so much fun ahead of you :D

I'm reading The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (George Cockcroft), pretty sure it was this thread I first heard about it. Enjoying it so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I've read the first chapter of 'We need to talk about Kevin' about 10 times and have got as far as page 30 in my latest attempt. I just can't get into it. Does it get any better?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

ken wrote: »
    I've read the first chapter of 'We need to talk about Kevin' about 10 times and have got as far as page 30 in my latest attempt. I just can't get into it. Does it get any better?.

In a word, no. I think it's the worst book I've ever read. I actually ploughed through the whole thing convinced that it would, that it had to get better. It didn't. Do yourself a favour and move on to something else. Loads of great recommendations on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jay_A7X

The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries Omnibus 2 by Charlaine Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In a word, no. I think it's the worst book I've ever read. I actually ploughed through the whole thing convinced that it would, that it had to get better. It didn't. Do yourself a favour and move on to something else. Loads of great recommendations on this thread.

Cheers HP, I'm closer to eating the book than reading it. My problem is if its there I'll keep trying to get through it(I'm sure we've all had that). I'll be in town Monday and I'm going to give it to the charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It's a long time since I read it , it's one if those stories that take a bit of perseverance, in my case because it is a grim story. But I enjoyed it and was glad I stuck with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I also stalled on my first attempt reading it, however I persevered on my second attempt and glad I did, I found it a good read (although as 73Cat say, quite grim). I think it's probably a bit of a marmite-type book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I loved it, it's a tough read and the writing is hard going but it's a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

After You by Jojo Moyes, the follow up to Me Before You and The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan which is exquisitely written.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This year there will be a BBC TV series based on The Night Manager by John Le Carré, so I've got the book and am about to start it. The series should be good, if the cast is any indication: Olivia Colman, Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Debicki, Tom Hollander ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

eviltwin wrote: »
    ......and The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan which is exquisitely written.

Reading that at the moment myself.

Asked for it for Christmas two years ago and only getting around to it now.

The author is from a neighbouring parish so in addition to the writing and am also enjoying the local references !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently four chapters into Caitlyn Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (& Other Lessons From The Crematory)". A bit of a morbid read if you're not familiar with her from her Ask A Mortician Youtube channel but a very engrossing, insightful and at times darkly humourous tome that is part memoir, part meditation on the often taboo subject of death. I love it so far! :D
    I also picked up "Spectacles" by Sue Perkins, so that's next on the list after this one. I like memoirs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Fortress Europe by Matthew Carr.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Flashboys by Michael Lewis, the story of high frequency trading and traders on Wall St. How they do their trading and that. Really interesting stuff and there's an Irish guy at the heart of it. Got it for a quid on kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Greenmantle by John Buchan. It's the follow up to his previous espionage thriller The Thirty Nine Steps. The plot revolves around German plans in WWI to manipulate the followers of an Islamic religious leader into attacking the Western enemies of the Kaiser en masse - not entirely divorced from real events of the time involving the German & Ottoman forces.
    It's not as gripping as 39 Steps but is fascinating in its own way as it's a snapshot of history. Written during WWI itself & published in 1916 the war & world Buchan writes about is one in which the British empire is still very much the British empire (there's a few reminicences by characters about putting down native rebellions in Africa & elsewhere which read quite dodgily today), the Ottoman empire still existed as did the German Kaiser, trench warfare had not yet been recognised as the life wasting folly which it now is & the Russian Bolshevik revolution had yet to happen.

Just started The American West by Dee Brown. Not far in to it yet but it seems a bit disjointed.

Not as compelling as Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bnt wrote: »
    This year there will be a BBC TV series based on The Night Manager by John Le Carré, so I've got the book and am about to start it. The series should be good, if the cast is any indication: Olivia Colman, Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Debicki, Tom Hollander ...

I'm in a phase of re-reading LeCarre. Read that one a few months, not bad, was his first post Cold War book IIRC.

Just waiting on an Omnibus edition of The Russia House, The Secret Pilgrim and a Murder of Quality, can't wait!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nora Webster by Colm Toibin. I'm nearly finished it. I have to say so far I think it's totally overrated. Nothing wrong with the book but not that great either. Next up is 'The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan. I hope that one won't let me down in the same way that Nora Webster has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Just started The American West by Dee Brown. Not far in to it yet but it seems a bit disjointed.

Not as compelling as Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee is an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Saddam: The Secret Life by Con Coughlin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am reading fortress Europe, a book about how European countries have been tightening borders due to the migration crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement