Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I am reading The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. Very good so far, but finding the font change a little contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

sadie06 wrote: »
    I am reading The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. Very good so far, but finding the font change a little contrived.
    I read this on the Kindle and I couldn't get the font thing to work.. the option didn't seem to be available for me. So I'm not sure what I missed out on!

But I enjoyed it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Another in the Charlie Parker Series...The Unquiet

Very much enjoying this one, a very good crime novel but with a supernatural theme neatly woven in as well. Doesn't sound like it should work but it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Finally finished reading Dublin Seven by Frankie Gaffney. I really enjoyed it, brilliant for a debut novel but I think it could have done with a better edit in parts. Also read Room by Emma Donoghue this week, harrowing but compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Re-reading Blackhawk Down - an even better read 2nd time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Finish reading "Because we say so " by the inimitable Noam Chomsky. He may be quite old, but his prose and sharp analysis has not faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I read this on the Kindle and I couldn't get the font thing to work.. the option didn't seem to be available for me. So I'm not sure what I missed out on!

But I enjoyed it regardless.

Ah you didn't miss much….I don't see the point of it at all.

I am reading on a Kobo eReader and I took the suggested advice at the beginning of the book and switched to the Publisher's Default Font. It promised an 'enhanced reading experience' but grown adults hardly need different fonts to figure what is happening to Matt.
    So far, there has been one font used to present all he is typing on the computer in the daycare centre when he is adhering to his medication programme. A second, far darker font has kicked in now that he is typing from home and is unmedicated. Maybe there is more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Reading The Birds Nest by Shirley Jackson! It's about a girl who has multiple personalities, not all of them very nice. Has a very classic Jackson feel to it - very weird and written in a similar style to the other books of hers I've read. Love her as an author- her writing is so distinctive!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Let me know what you think of it.
    I have to admit I never really enjoyed any of Hemmingway's books, and I'm very curious about why so many people do - I feel maybe they understand something I don't, and I try to find out what it is :)

I have to say that I actually really like this one, more than I did A Farewell to Arms. I can't pinpoint what it is that I enjoyed, as I'm still digesting the ending, but I like Hemingway's use of language, and the second half of the book began to ramp up the tension, with some excellent little vignettes in the first half too. His chapters that were non-stop dialogue, and the 'romantic' element to the book, did annoy me somewhat though (and often those two elements overlapped heavily).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reading The Birds Nest by Shirley Jackson! It's about a girl who has multiple personalities, not all of them very nice. Has a very classic Jackson feel to it - very weird and written in a similar style to the other books of hers I've read. Love her as an author- her writing is so distinctive!

Ooh, started my first Shirley Jackson book last night, 'The Lottery And Other Stories', short story collection, enjoyed the first 2 I read.

Also reading, slowly, 'The Making of Henry' by Howard Jacobson. It's good but not quite pulled me in yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I got Sean Moncrieff book the Irish Paradox as one of my Christmas books, its a good book but I would have a few quibbles with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Dictator.
    Not as good as lustrum or imperium imo, but still was a fascinating read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dictator.
    Not as good as lustrum or imperium imo, but still was a fascinating read.

Got Dictator for my husband as one of his Christmas presents, he is really enjoying the book so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is Evasion Kid around? Wondering what he thought of the Shantaram sequel? Apologies if I missed you posting about it already.

For me, four months and counting on Tommyknockers. Picked it up the other day for first time in weeks and realised I'd lost my bookmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

About Nigeria and the Biafran War. Set in the 60s.

Sounds grim, but it is a cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

A short introduction to Jung. Very interesting guy. I'm usually fairly sceptical so i thought his theories might be a bit mystical but his whole theory of archetypes and the collective unconscious is fascinating and really resonates.

Neurotribes by Steve Silberman. Interesting (if overlong) history of ASD/autism/Asperger's Syndrome and society's attitude to them (neurodiversity etc).

Also just started 48 laws of power by Robert Greene. Basically how to succeed in games of power (Machiavelli on steroids). Seems very cynical and vaguely evil so to be taken with a large pinch of salt. But enjoyable and a lot of truth in it tbh.

I love that book. Her other ones are very very good too.

I am reading Jojo Moyes' Me Before You. It's not my usual kind of book but friends (whose book opinions I value greatly) were all pushing it on me, as there's a sequel just come out. So far it's very good, and very engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones

A great read about one of my all time favourite bands, sad though how the group stayed together for over twenty years, functioning as a band despite intense personal differences/conflicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones

A great read about one of my all time favourite bands, sad though how the group stayed together for over twenty years, functioning as a band despite intense personal differences/conflicts.

check out johhny rottens "no irish,no blacks,no dogs".....hes a gas man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is one of my favourite books, a brilliant read. Americanah is also good but it will never beat this one.

I have just finished 'The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan set in rural Ireland. An outstanding book, emotional, dark and witty it's brilliant.

I enjoyed Jo Jo Moyes 'Me Before You' but thought the follow up book 'After You' was woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I'm reading "Black Mass - Whitey Bulger, The FBI and a Devil's Deal". Only a few chapters in buts it's good so far.

The next book I'll be reading is the latest Jack Reacher book, "Make Me". I have a soft spot for those books and thankfully I don't think of Tom Cruise when I'm reading them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Reading The Bone Tree by Greg Isles. It's a fantastic read. It's a follow up to Natchez Burning which was also amazing. Set in Mississipi in present time but dealing with the Klan from back in 60s to present day encompassing civil rights, organised crime, the Kennedy assination. I'm 450 pages into it and it feels like not a word is wasted and another 400 to look forward to. Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

wrmwit wrote: »
    I'm reading "Black Mass - Whitey Bulger, The FBI and a Devil's Deal". Only a few chapters in buts it's good so far.

The next book I'll be reading is the latest Jack Reacher book, "Make Me". I have a soft spot for those books and thankfully I don't think of Tom Cruise when I'm reading them!

I've the last 3 Reacher books to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Flashman and the redskins.
    Have read it before but this series of books crack me up.
    The usual mix of misogyny, racism, imperialism, infidelity entwined around historical events.
    Top notch. :)

appledrop wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite books, a brilliant read. Americanah is also good but it will never beat this one.

I have just finished 'The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan set in rural Ireland. An outstanding book, emotional, dark and witty it's brilliant.

I enjoyed Jo Jo Moyes 'Me Before You' but thought the follow up book 'After You' was woeful.

Oh no, I have After You waiting to be read... I am enjoying Me Before You a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm dipping in and out of a football book called 'Day of the Match' which has a different factual football story of some description for every date in different years so it might go from 1/1/1945 to 2/1/1976, 3/1/1984 and so on. Some very interesting snippets of useless information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

I picked up Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz from a hotel 'library' as a beach read and was really pleasantly surprised, while the premise seems old hat (psychic can see the dead and solves crimes) it was a really engaging read, very quirky and pacy. Most of all it had something I've not seen in a while in fiction, a main character who's genuinely likable and good natured who, despite the woes of the world on his shoulders, manages to maintain a positive, hopeful outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis

Utterly terrifying book about the build up to the credit crunch 2008. Definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I found a book today in the cheap section of the local book shop. It's called face off. It's a load of thriller writers teaming up and putting one each of their main characters in to a story. For example Dennis Lehanne vs Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin vs Peter James and about ten more stories. The stories themselves are only about 30-40 pages long. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Here's a link to the concept behind it for anyone interested.

http://thrillerfest.com/faceoff/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Mein Kampf by Rudyard Kipling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement