Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Flashman and the redskins.
    Have read it before but this series of books crack me up.
    The usual mix of misogyny, racism, imperialism, infidelity entwined around historical events.
    Top notch. :)

Flashman is great. He's such an arsehole. Genuinely laugh out loud books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Mein Kampf by Rudyard Kipling.

The what by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth by Jules Verne.

About halfway through. Enjoying it, but took a little while to adjust to the style of prose. I loved Around The World In 80 Days, and have read most HG Wells as well, so I've been looking forward to this. Not what I was expecting, but I'm actually really into it now and eager to see how it ends!

After that it'll be back to reading books about the Beatles - a re-read of "Tune In" by Mark Lewisohn is overdue. It's a huge tome, part one of a trilogy, and only covers the time leading up to the release of their first single.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Memoir by John McGahern.

God almighty you would want to absolutely murder his father. But those were the days.

Very moving and sad, but uplifting at the same time. Can't explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have started A Thousand Splendid Suns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've moved on to The Stand by Stephen King. I saw the miniseries back in the 90s when I was a teenager and I've always had it in mind to give the book a go.

I've moved on to The Stand by Stephen King. I saw the miniseries back in the 90s when I was a teenager and I've always had it in mind to give the book a go.

This is one of my favourite books :) I hope you enjoy it. Have you just started?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

I love this book. I've read it at least 6 times lol

Atm I'm reading Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. Scientologists are a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

I'm reading 'Lines of Vision: Irish Writers on Art'; it's not a novel but it's a fantastic read for anyone with a passion for both art and literature of all kinds. For the National Gallery's 150th anniversary in 2014, acclaimed Irish writers (including Colm Tóibín, John Boyne, Roddy Doyle, John Montague, and Seamus Heaney) were commissioned to produce a short piece of literature (from short stories and poetry to essays and biographical narratives) inspired by any painting in the Gallery's collection. These were all compiled with the artworks in an anthology-styled book. It's such a fabulously unique and diverse read; particularly John Banville's piece of the 'Taking of Christ' and Gerard Donovan's essay on 'The Sonnet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Just finished rogue lawyer by John Grisham, to my shame it was my first Grisham novel. I loved it.
    A brief summary would be it's about a lawyer who defends some undesirables. Some are innocent. Some guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

This is one of my favourite books :) I hope you enjoy it. Have you just started?

Yep, just started last night :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" this morning.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have a goal to get through 20+ books this year, first up is Galveston by Nic Pizolatto.

Seems to be a very divisive book. I put off reading it for years because I had some notion that it was the basis for 'The New World' movie starring Colin Farrell but I loved it and would have it on the reading list of sociology courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 King of the Hotcups

My kindle broke about 3 months ago, so I decided to pick up an actual book for a change. Talk about a strange feeling, actually physically turning the pages. I joined the library in Ashbourne; and it brought me back to my childhood, when my mam would bring my sister and I to the library in Templeogue on a Saturday morning. Trying to get my kids to come to the library with me now [at least for the purpose of getting them to put down their damned tablets etc.].

I'm currently reading 2 books. I'm reading Simon Carswell's Anglo Republic on my lunch break in work [I had previously read Simon Kelly's Breakfast with Anglo which was ok]. I'm also reading David McWilliams' Follow the Money. Really enjoying both books.

Just before Christmas, I finished Killing Jesus and Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. If ound them to the be very easy and entertaining reads.

Next up after those is David Lagercrantz's The Girl in the Spider's Web. I really enjoyed the millennium trilogy, so I'm hoping that Lagercrantz hasn't made a mess of Stieg Larsson's creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Just came on here to say that I've just finished Brave New World! I enjoyed it personally, preferred 1984 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Halfway through Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath'- depressing as hell but wonderfully written.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Halfway through Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath'- depressing as hell but wonderfully written.

I love Steinbeck, and The Grapes of Wrath is on my to re-read list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

gutenberg wrote: »

He is definitely in my top-5 favourite authors. Everything I've read of his has been excellent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"The Holiday" by Erica James.
    My parents got me a few books for Christmas so I'm really loving reading again (haven't read in months).
    I just finished "The Long Weekend" by Veronica Henry; it was good but this new one seems to have drawn me in more and I'm only a few pages in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Every time I read this thread I add a load of new samples to my kindle :D

Just started The Dark by John McGahern. I expect it to be both heartbreaking and excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished The Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb. What a book! There is so much happening from so early in the book. I was thinking to myself at one point "I'm only 40% in to the book and this has happened already. Where can this possibly go and get better?!!"
    And it did. It did get better.

It boggles my mind how someone can create a world like that and link it all together.

I'm just starting The Broker by John Grisham. I'm expecting an anti-climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I've just started Room by Emma Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

gutenberg wrote: »

I remember The Pearl being on the Leaving Cert back in my day, way back in the last century.:D

Of Mice and Men is so bitter sweet, and the pathos of Cannery Row, the ending of The Grapes of Wrath...... what a writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

There are Little Kingdoms by Kevin Barry.

A series of very lovely short stories by some lad from Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

'An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth' by Chris Hadfield. Just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

There are Little Kingdoms by Kevin Barry.

A series of very lovely short stories by some lad from Sligo.

Was somewhat disappointed by that tbh. I liked him when he wrote in the back of the examiner, expected the book to be like that, but a lot more so, but it was only a little more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm reading The Children Act by Ian McEwan.

sadie06 wrote: »
    I'm reading The Children Act by Ian McEwan.

I'm curious as to how you find it. It was one I was considering as part of a special offer at our local bookshop - I needed one more book to avail of an offer. I held off buying, but if it's recommended I may reconsider!

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have a goal to get through 20+ books this year, first up is Galveston by Nic Pizolatto.

One down.

One thing that annoys me about the kindle is that it's hard to grasp the size of the book you're reading (yes I know you can google it), but I finished this in a couple of days so I am guessing it's not too big.

Decent enough and an easy read, although the pacing is really off. Season 1 of True Detective will always be a once off but you can see some glimpses of it in here.

Next up is Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement