Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

The Circle by Dave Eggers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Turtyturd wrote: »
    One down.

Next up is Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I'm reading that at the moment,only a hundred or so pages in but it's quite a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Simon Scarrow Britannia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Goal is 2 books per month this year ala A Year Of Books....with titles chosen by a friend. Which is great because I've a tendency to read the same genre all the time [thrillers/true crime]. Nice way to make me shake it up a bit!

First was The Design of everyday things: Don Norman.
    Currently reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh, fantastic, a modern day '1984'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way by Lars Mytting
    Chapters: the cold; the forest; the tools; the chopping block; the woodpile; the seasoning; the stove; the fire.
    Hardback, 191 pages with about 60 colour photos.

Fascinating.

Edit:
    I've googled the author. It looks like the book is a success.
    Author Lars Mytting have earned good money on the book "Hel Ved." What many thought was a narrow theme proved to hit wide population.
    Has earned 6.5 million kroner on "Hel Ved"
    Lars MYTTING vedbok has been at the top of the book lists in 38 weeks and sell equally well in summer and winter.
    The book inspired a 12-hour-long TV programme,
    Lars Myttings non-fiction book Hel ved («Solid wood») is one of the greatest publishing successes in Scandinavia ever. It is a «practical-lyrical» guide on the use and lore of firewood, based on Norwegian traditions and our modern science on stoves and renewable energy.

Since august 2011, over 230 000 copies are printed in Norway and Sweden alone. The book is also published in Denmark, Finland, Germany and Estonia. Czech and UK/US editions will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just finished reading 438 days which is about Salavador Alvarengo's tale of surviving for 438 days while drifting in the doldrums of the South Pacific.

Very very good read. Highly recommended.

Am actually on the look out for lots of ebooks to download, so if anyone has any recommendations, I would be very much obliged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Started Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" this morning.

Put it away. I loved reading it but it has caused me many sleepless nights needlessly worrying. Same for 1984.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm reading a YA book called Partials, enjoying it so far.
    Also reading Narrow Road to the Deep North, very good.
    And a book called 'The Wife of Jesus' which I'm just getting started so not sure what I think of it.
    Oh, and my college textbook on Human Resource Management.
    And a book called 'North Korea Undercover' which I find fascinating even if though I think the author is obviously biased and somewhat patronising.

A few more books waiting in the wings but these are the main ones I have on the go for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Kevin and Sadie series by Joan Lingard about the relationship between a Catholic and protestant in Belfast in the 70's. I think they are classified as Young Adult but I'm enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Birneybau wrote: »
    Oh, fantastic, a modern day '1984'

Oh that sounds right up my alley! I must add that to my Amazon wish list so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Kevin and Sadie series by Joan Lingard about the relationship between a Catholic and protestant in Belfast in the 70's. I think they are classified as Young Adult but I'm enjoying them.

I had forgotten all about these, I read the first 3 when I was a teenager. Spent a lot of time pining over Kevin :o Might give them another lash now for old times sake :D

Which reminds me, I also want to re-read Summer Of My German Soldier to see if it is as good as I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Alternating my reading between War and Peace, and Diarmuid Ferriter's Ambiguous Republic. Spending too much time on those, and not spending near enough time on the textbooks for my upcoming exams :o
    Memo to self: stop starting to read engrossing books right before your exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I never buy books, unless I have severe withdrawal symptoms when I cannot connect with the Mobile Library at one of its venues... We have an awesome service here; you can take as many books as you want for as long as you want, no fines. My sleeping pattern is different now I am older and I am off my feet a lot and hate TV and radio.. so BOOKS! Alternating between thrillers ( not horror) and romance... Finishing Stef Penney The Invisible Ones and hoping to catch the library today. THE STORY is what it is about for me and I learn so much along the way. Knitting as I read with the book held open with a clothes peg... I devour books...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
    http://www.amazon.com/Blacklisted-History-Senator-McCarthy-Americas/dp/1400081068/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1453108408&sr=8-6&keywords=blacklisted

Just finished Shantaram last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

eviltwin wrote: »
    I had forgotten all about these, I read the first 3 when I was a teenager. Spent a lot of time pining over Kevin :o Might give them another lash now for old times sake :D

Which reminds me, I also want to re-read Summer Of My German Soldier to see if it is as good as I remember :)
    Oh I loved these books when I was a young teenager, I must give them a re-read!
    I like Catherine Sefton's books too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, and loved it. I found it so moving in places, and it also made me fiercely angry.

Next up is probably Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, book one of the Neapolitan novels. It was given to me for Christmas, and I've been curious to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, and loved it. I found it so moving in places, and it also made me fiercely angry.

Next up is probably Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, book one of the Neapolitan novels. It was given to me for Christmas, and I've been curious to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Douglas Lindsay_We Are the Hanged Man_DCI Jericho
    Enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Civilization by Niall Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just finished reading ISIS: The State of Terror by J. M. Berger & Jessica Stern. Very interesting account of the emergence of the group from intra al Queda rivalries & the ideology which underpins it & other Salafist groups. Have started reading a collection of Icelandic Sagas - short stories composed in the Middle Ages about the harsh but heroic lives of the Norsemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ghost in the Wires - it's the story of Kevin Mitnick

I watched the movie "Hackers" or "Trackdown" years ago and decided to read this.. it's a good read but a lot of tech talk about phone systems.. some might find those parts boring.. but what he go up to back in those days is crazy.. very interesting.

i'd give it 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Little Red Chairs by Edna O'Brien.

I adore this writer anyway but this her latest book is simply stunning: I'm sucked into the (personal and universal) story and I'm wrapped up in the poetic prose like in a cashmere blanket.

I'm only half-way through, but from the first word up to now there was not one boring or unnecessary passage or character, it cuts straight to the heart of the story and at the same time conjures haunting images.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Currently I'm reading 'On Another Mans Wound' by Ernie O' Malley, about halfway in but am really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Another one which I carry in my handbag for times I have to wait somewhere (instead of reading silly magazines):

Little Tales of Misogyny by Patricia Highsmith.

It's a small book (pocket-friendly) with very short stories about hideous and/or stupid women who deserve to be killed or otherwise disposed of. Written in that particular laconic way of Highsmith.
    Very enjoyable and refreshingly non-pc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Giving the game of thrones books a whirl at the moment. Not awful but not exactly exhilerating.
    I'd wager that if you added up all the passages that contain something like <insert name here> first of his name, King of the sandals, first Lord of the momkeys, dececendent of the first loaf of bread, Father of Spoons

and

Ser John was there, as was Ser Burlington, Lord Dishwasher, son of Kettle scrubber, bethroth of Wendy, Lady akarash, Loed Bentley-Volkswagon, Jim the butcher, Sally the stable hand, Jhangar, Lord of Tumbleweed, etc, etc, etc...

You'd have 30 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Rubicon by Tom Holland. If you have even a passing interest in Ancient Rome or Classical history in general, you should give it a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

gutenberg wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how you find it. It was one I was considering as part of a special offer at our local bookshop - I needed one more book to avail of an offer. I held off buying, but if it's recommended I may reconsider!

Just reporting in on The Children Act. It is a short read and I enjoyed it, but it certainly isn't McEwan at his best. It centres around a character involved with family law and the author's research is literally dripping off every page.

Some of the cases referred to were in fact more interesting than the story being told. It tries (and fails IMO) to take a giant leap from dense clinical detail to emotional resolution via a clumsy nod to Joyce.

I enjoyed it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

stannis wrote: »
    Rubicon by Tom Holland. If you have even a passing interest in Ancient Rome or Classical history in general, you should give it a read.
    It's a great book. I really like his style of getting so much information effortlessly into each paragraph. Persian fire is great also.

I have Dynasty looking at me from the end of the bookshelf now, just begging to be read:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

stannis wrote: »

What type of book is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement