Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Spectacles by Sue Perkins

Not the sort of book I would buy for myself, but I got is as a gift. I like her TV appearances and this is exactly what you would expect - quite witty and well written. I came away liking her a little bit more. The chapter on TGBB is very good. No Pulitzer prize, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

conorhal wrote: »
    It's a cracking read. Even though it opens with an explicit instruction that this book should not be read in the context of modern history, nor is it about American hegemony... it so bloody is.
    I know it's often far too easy to draw lazy analogies between empires and their rise and fall, but reading the book you can't help but think, the more things change the more they stay the same.

It's funny he should put that in the introduction to Rubicon because in the introduction to 'Persian Fire' which lays the ground to the battle of Thermopylae he writes about 9/11, orientalism, the crusades and the language used by the west to discuss the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Severed: A history of heads lost and heads found by Frances Larson. Not nearly as gruesome as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In cold blood by Truman Capote.Like real life who done in reverse, builds backgrounds and shows how the investigation worked

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

In cold blood by Truman Capote.Like real life who done in reverse, builds backgrounds and shows how the investigation worked

Great read.. If you enjoy it, look up Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song, about the Gary Gilmore murders, and indeed Gilmore's brother Mikal's Shot in the Heart - both excellent books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ken Follett's Century trilogy - am on the last book, Edge of Eternity. I would not have thought that a series with so much politics and war would have kept me, but I am enjoying it, and have learned a lot too!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

2001: a Space Odyssey. I've never seen the movie so looking forward to working through this

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

2001: a Space Odyssey. I've never seen the movie so looking forward to working through this

You probably know this already that A.C Clarke was writing the book as they made the movie and by the time they had the movie half made they still didn't have an ending. The were making it up as they went along.
    The film is actually influenced by a short story called The Sentinel that was written by Clarke about ten years previous. It's great and it's really short, you'll finish it in no time at all.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah I knew that about the film/book :) Did not know about The Sentinel though, will check it out for sure.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

looksee wrote:
    Ken Follett's Century trilogy - am on the last book, Edge of Eternity. I would not have thought that a series with so much politics and war would have kept me, but I am enjoying it, and have learned a lot too!

I'm 300 pages into it too
    Great reading
    Looking forward to lots more Follett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Still reading Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan.Part 3 of a series,the reason it's taking me so long is that I forgot most the characters from the previous book.Can't remember who is who.Could have done with a character list in the book IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was too lazy to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" so I watched the film instead...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

'Lanterne Rouge'.

It's a collection of stories of cyclists who were the last finishers in the Tour de France and the stories around them and the races they finished last in. Really interesting take on cycling and I'm not even a big cycling fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

'Lanterne Rouge'.

It's a collection of stories of cyclists who were the last finishers in the Tour de France and the stories around them and the races they finished last in. Really interesting take on cycling and I'm not even a big cycling fan.

No way! I started reading that book tonight. Are you me from the future?

I've been struggling with life recently. So only about 20 pages into HhnH. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,612 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

maudgonner wrote: »
    No way! I started reading that book tonight. Are you me from the future?

It won't be long before I'm you from the past the rate I'm going through it :D

(That's not a comment on the book - I only really get to read on the way to work)

Just started Ruin by John Gwynne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've been struggling with life recently. So only about 20 pages into HhnH. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

I only got as far as the 10th page and just gave up with it.

Sounds like it could be a great book but I just didn't take to it.

It seemed to me to be making an attempt at deconstructing historical fiction as much as wanting to tell a good story which was the reason I gave up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The General Charles De Gaulle by Jonathan Fenby. Great account of the tall and brave French man who saved France twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I've started Stephen King's 11.22.63. I know this has received very positive reviews on this thread, but so far I'm finding myself a bit unconvinced...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

One flew over the cuckoo's nest.

I picked it up more or less by chance, one of those "Buy two, get the third free" deals. I knew it is a classic, so thought I'd give it a go.
    I have to say, I'm surprised and impressed by it. A seriously good book, written in a very interesting perspective, giving a very bleak insight into the way human beings will almost inevitably arrange their society, no matter where or under what circumstances.

I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd recommend the sequels as well.

Currently reading 'Gold Fame Citrus' myself, early days, interesting so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just started Ruin by John Gwynne.
    I just started Malice. Is the series worth reading?

I just started Malice. Is the series worth reading?

So far IMO its top notch series and well worth reading.Hopefully the last part will be as good as the first two and finish well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reading both 'Olive Kitteridge' by Elizabeth Strout and 'Gold Fame Citrus' by Claire Vaye Watkins, enjoying 'Olive Kitteridge' more at the moment, loved the mini-serious, loving the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Origin of our Species. Chris Stringer.

Very informative and easily read.

Natural Harvest by Paul Photenhauer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The 8th book in the Charlie Parker series...The Lovers

Only 2 chapters in so too early to tell....but I suppose it can't be too bad if I've already tucked into the first 7 offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

boobar wrote: »
    The 8th book in the Charlie Parker series...The Lovers

Only 2 chapters in so too early to tell....but I suppose it can't be too bad if I've already tucked into the first 7 offerings.

Thanks for that....

Just downloaded 11 ebooks of his, enjoying the first up until stupid-oclock reading it. If you like these, try James Lee Burke. e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadillac-Jukebox-James-Lee-Burke/dp/140912696X/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51c2HBzL9NL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_&refRID=032PJYE6CKFE6C7W92RT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement