Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Reading "Jeder stirbt für sich allein" by Hans Fallada. Trying to improve my German. English Title is "Alone in Berlin".
    For jogging I am listening to an audiobook of Dracula.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I finished Fahrenheit 451 last night. Really thrilling and captivating, with a great message as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭stefan.kuntz

Just finished 'The Lady from Zagreb' by Philip Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Reading "Jeder stirbt für sich allein" by Hans Fallada. Trying to improve my German. English Title is "Alone in Berlin".

Just an idea for you - when I was learning French, I bought a few French novels, and really struggled with them, resorting to the dictionary several times per page..

Then, rummaging in a second-hand bookshop, I found French versions of books I'd already read in English (some of the John Irving books as it happens), and I flew through them - as I already knew the stories, I was able to fill in the gaps in my vocabulary much easier..

I got through whole chapters in the time it had been taking to work through a few pages of the 'unknown' books, and it was a much more enjoyable experience..

(Maybe your German is a lot better than my French was, and you're having no issues with vocabulary, but just thought I'd mention it :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've started reading The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian.Good stuff so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I would not recommend I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak at all. Very disappointing.

Just starting A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The nowhere men by Michael Calvin.
    It is an indepth book about the behind the scenes life of (soccer) football scouts.
    Only small bit through it but already it is a very enjoyable read.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I just started Infinite Jest

Give me some words of encouragement, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading a posthumous publication of a collection of Christopher Hitchen's essays entitled "Chrisopher Hitchens and Yet..."

Never read Christopher Hitchens prior to this, but have seen some of his talks on Youtube. He was one of the most Important Intellectuals of our time

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Helpful Engineer

I recently finished Station Eleven and enjoyed it alot.

I am now half way through reading the spy thriller I Am Pilgrim. It's a long book at 892 pages. I really enjoyed the first half of it, but I am starting to lose interest now. The lead character is just a little too perfect and all knowing. Will keep going though.

• Advertisement

I've been struggling with life recently. So only about 20 pages into HhnH. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

I left this book on the long finger for a while. It really picks up after those first 20 pages.. About 3/4s the way through having read. It's has a strange style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"Nightmares & Dreamscapes" by Stephen King...a collection of short stories rather than a novel.

Really enjoying them and falling back in love with The Master of Horror after struggling through the turgid pile of crap that was "The Tommyknockers"..been a long time since I wanted to finish a book as much as that one and can't even remember how it ended even though it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, finished Anansi Boys last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I am now half way through reading the spy thriller I Am Pilgrim. It's a long book at 892 pages. I really enjoyed the first half of it, but I am starting to lose interest now. The lead character is just a little too perfect and all knowing. Will keep going though.

Loved that book considering I only bought it blind for £1.50 or something to bump me over the free delivery threshold on Amazon. Good old fashioned, switch-your-brain-off, holiday page turner.

Thanks for reminding me to check out any other books of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I just started Infinite Jest

Give me some words of encouragement, please.

Coincidentally, so have I.

The only advice I've been given is to not be overwhelmed by the length of it. Just concentrate on making sure you read something of it Every.Single.Day. That way you'll eventually get through it, well hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Started "I am Pilgrim" yesterday, might be good. So am saving it for the sunny days to come next week when I am away.

Could be a beach/brain turning off read when away, I dunno. Has anyone read it?

edit, just read another post that crossed with mine. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Started "I am Pilgrim" yesterday, might be good. So am saving it for the sunny days to come next week when I am away.

I was thinking of starting this. So will be interested to see what you think. Its one of those books that everyone seems to be talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I was thinking of starting this. So will be interested to see what you think. Its one of those books that everyone seems to be talking about!

Loved it, took a while to get into it, but couldn't put it down when I did. Makes you think about things too & how much is realistically possible in bio warfare. AFAIK the follow up book is due out this year. Looking foward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Amazon cannot "process my order at this time" Feck.

Has anyone else had this message for Kindle?

Thanks.

Edit...I was ordering from the kindle device, and somehow the wifi has disconnected itself. Better re enter the code now.

Sorry for the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Gone with the wind. So far I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Thomas Telford: Master Builder of Roads & Canals by Anthony Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Oh dear, showing myself up here, but reading Don't Cry for Me Orgentina, Ross O'Carroll Kelly, aka Paul Howard. Laughing on every page. Next up is When Breath becomes Air.

Gonna try Lord of the Rings again. Failed to get through it in 3 attempts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gonna try Lord of the Rings again. Failed to get through it in 3 attempts so far.

Skipping the songs and poetry helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Just started reading The Taliban Shuffle by Kim Barker.

About a female journalist embedded in Afghanistan in 2001-2003.

Good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Arghus wrote: »
    totally agree! they get annoying very quickly. Also you could skip the whole tom bombadil Part its just random and serves no real purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

totally agree! they get annoying very quickly. Also you could skip the whole tom bombadil Part its just random and serves no real purpose
    Oh I don't know about that, I thought the effect of the Ring on him was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch. I started last year and only got about a third of the way through so hoping to actually finish it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Don't forget to skip the Council of Elrond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Arghus wrote: »

On this topic, there must be loads of books wherein a bit of judicious skipping makes them more enjoyable.

For all means, read the 'Eng Soc Principles' in '1984' the first time you read it but never again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement