Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I only got as far as the 10th page and just gave up with it.

Sounds like it could be a great book but I just didn't take to it.

It seemed to me to be making an attempt at deconstructing historical fiction as much as wanting to tell a good story which was the reason I gave up on it.

HhH is a brilliant book. You need to give it a chance. He builds slowly - it's absolutely compelling and will stay with you long after you have finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

At the moment I'm almost finished reading a book of short stories called A Kind of Compass, edited by Belinda McKeon.
    The works are from a mix of Irish and International authors, some of the best writing I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I've just started to read a non-fiction book called The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. From what I gather, it's a book that explains violence in modern society and what steps one can take to identify subtle signs of violent intent, and take appropriate action. Between this and the serial killer book I read last, I should be a shutin in no time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I'm reading Easter Rebellion by Max Caulfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mentioned a while ago I was reading 2001: A Space Odyssey, needless to say I loved it. Are the sequels worth bothering with?

I enjoyed them, really deepened the mythology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭andrius.k

Fundamentals-of-Computer-Programming-with-CSharp-Nakov-eBook-v2013

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Going to start Go Set a Watchman tonight. I picked it up for a fiver in a charity shop after debating whether to buy it on several occasions previously (I love To Kill a Mockingbird), so I was very pleased! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Started Revolutionary Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Defending Jacob by William Landay. Unputdownable!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Barna77 wrote: »
    Started Revolutionary Road

Richard Yates was a master. If you can take the punishment of Revolutionary Road, I heartily endorse The Easter Parade as a follow-up. It's grim, but his style is so precise and truthful that it transcends that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Richard Yates is a great writer loved Revolutionary Road, the film shouldn't put people off - it's ok - but the book is brilliant.

Reading Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Finally finished GOW between, being sick a lot the last few week and doing my best to keep up with my studying, I barely found much chance to read for leisure.

Next up, I have just started " The Story of Kullervo" by "J.R.R Tolkein"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Stephen King: The Shining.. because I can't sleep LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Stephen King: The Shining.. because I can't sleep LOL

I really enjoyed that. Love the film but the book was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have been in a mood for old favorites so last week I re-read all of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books and this week I am reading Bujold's Vorkosigan books.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

KH25 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. Love the film but the book was excellent.

Exactly! Much intense in reading than watching the movie. :)

I've just started Magicians Of The Gods, by Graham Hancock. It's a non fiction examination of the beginnings of art, culture, storytelling, and organised belief systems.

I've only started it, but it's been interesting. It has the potential to take some silly turns, but I'll stick with it and see where he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm reading Marian Keyes new book, not terribly impressed. Ok, it's funny, but seems a bit cobbled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Notwithstanding by Louis de Berniers. Great read, semi-autobio ....... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

The Rural Gentleman by Delia Maguire.
    Amazing book, asks and answers a vast series of questions.
    It's about an English priest that moves to a rural Irish community.
    I'm almost finished, and don't want it to end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Stigura

" The Poacher Joseph Rushbrook " by Frederick Marryat.

Got it free, on Kindle. Bloody brilliant read! Period drama of the sort no one writes any more. Real page turner :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started my first ever Dickens Novel this morning, David Copperfield. Was recommended by a friend who's read a few so I put it on the wish-list for Christmas. Didn't realise it was so big :o.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Thanks for that, Sitgura. I downloaded it and look forward to reading it when I have finished 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel, which is also brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Confessions of an economic hitman.

Still reading Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman.

Also saw this article in the Guardian today about people 'curating' their bookshelves. Any thoughts?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't think it's entirely accurate, to be honest. Personally, I tend to keep only those books I liked a lot or loved, regardless of what they are or who's written them, and not simply all the books I've ever read. I also have a large number of books I haven't read yet, not only on bookshelves but on most surfaces around the house, and I think most people who do keep books are the same.

There's also a 'library' feel to charity shops. I buy something, then if I like it it's very likely I'll go and look for a better copy to keep (like the Sunday best :)), and either return the 'bad' copy to the charity shop or keep it to lend it to someone who might enjoy it as much as I did. I actually like the physical form and consistency of hardback books, but my favourites are kept in a wardrobe, not on the shelves, in case they get ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth - cracker !!!

• Advertisement

Finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, was excellent.

Have moved on to Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement