Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Stolen by Sharon Bolton and Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

chops018 wrote: »
    I am thinking of reading Salem's Lot - is it good?

I have read the Shining before which I found good but it took ages to get going with excitement etc. I then read 11/22/63 which I thought was fantastic.
    I don't want another King novel that takes ages to get going so wondering if Salem's lot is more like the Shining or if it's a real page turner like 11/22/63.

I want to read either The Stand or IT soon too - what are they like? The over 1,000 pages turns me off, but I have read books near this long before but it was the likes of the Lord of the Rings just in one volume so I suppose it wasn't even one proper novel.

I didn't really get into the Stand, its immensely popular but didn't work for me. IT was fantastic. For me King shines when dealing with the interaction of children and teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just started Steve Coogan's autobiography Easily Distracted..

So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

High output management by Andrew Grove. Only just started it but came highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The road to little Dibbling by Bill Bryson, it a typical Bryson book a lovely light hearted read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    There's also Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Freak-Authors-Freakonomics/dp/0062218344/ref=pd_bxgy_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K18XFE2ED4H1MGSR3QQ

The Freakonomics podcasts are well worth a listen to.

Finished An Epic Swindle: 44 months with a pair of cowboys by Brian Reade.

It tells the story of Hicks & Gillette ownership of Liverpool which brought what was the No.1 club in Europe at the time, from a Champions League final to hours away from financial administration! Some great stories (Gillette introducing himself to Robbie Keane is hilarious) that leaves you wondering how in the name of God these 2 ever got to own a football club. One was from Texas, the other from Michigan but a fondness for wearing cowboy boots with the Liverpool emblem on them!

It's pretty accessible for a non Liverpool or indeed somebody with not much interest in soccer as it concentrates more on off the pitch stuff as much as possible.

The last few chapters read like a legal or Wall Street thriller, a small but dedicated fan group scaring the hell out of Wall Street financial institutions. Occupying Wall Street 3,000 miles away!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I've had a few books on the go recently. Just finished "A Star Called Henry" by Roddy Doyle. Decent enough comedic story of life in inner city Dublin & revolutionary Ireland from the perspective of a cynical communist from a broken home. In places the adventures of the roguish, sex-mad narrator read like those of a certain Harry Flashman but the overall tone is one of an individuals rejection of the lies told him by both the old system & the emerging new one. Not a perfect book by any means (some of the dialogue doesn't really convince) but there was clearly a lot of research gone into it.

Also reading "How Music Got Free" by Stephen Witt. It's an account of the development of digital music sharing from the invention of the MP3 in the 1990s to sites like Napster & Limewire & onto the development of torrenting software. Witt manages to track down people from inside the secretive "Scene" groups who compete to get hold of albums weeks before their official release dates - it's interesting to read about what drives such people & to contrast their lives with those of the mega rich record executives who largely failed to anticipate or understand the nature of the music sharing phenomenon & how it would impact upon their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

boobar wrote: »
    I thought Room was very cleverly written, the child's descriptions of his surroundings and the language especially.

Just finished reading Room too, thought it was good but could have done with a lot less references to breastfeeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Last night I finished "The Black Horse Inside Coolmore" by William Jones.
    You will probably not be able to buy this in your local bookshop.

A Sunday Times article three days ago says
    "A Dublin bookshop contacted by The Sunday Times last week confirmed it had The Black Horse Inside Coolmore in stock but was unwilling to sell any copies because of a letter received from Arthur Cox solicitors on behalf of the stud. Coolmore alleges the book contains defamatory material."

Coolmore say the book is defamatory, but in letters to the author their solicitors do not identify the defamation.
    The author says the book is factual, defamation is for a court to decide, and a defamation case has not been brought to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Over 2/3 on Revolutionary Road and I have the feeling nothing is happening. Strangely enough , I'm not disliking the book :confused:

But I keep picturing the Wheelers as Pete Campbell and Betty Draper from Mad Men ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

I'm currently reading Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. I quite like it but then again I'm a big fan of her previous series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Thinking Fast and Slow.
    By Daniel Kahneman.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0141033576?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
    It is a psychology book discussing intuition, biases, and decision making.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I've just finished "Why E=MC2" and really enjoyed it. I'm now on The 100 year old man who climbed through a window and dissappeared and I'm liking that also.
    I also recently finished Engleby by Sebastian Faulks and thought it was brilliant, I hadn't read any of his other novels. Does any one know if they are as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I've just finished "Why E=MC2" and really enjoyed it. I'm now on The 100 year old man who climbed through a window and dissappeared and I'm liking that also.
    I also recently finished Engleby by Sebastian Faulks and that it was brilliant, I hadn't read any of his other novels. Does any one know if they are as good?

They're good, but as with many authors get a bit samey after you read 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I also recently finished Engleby by Sebastian Faulks and thought it was brilliant, I hadn't read any of his other novels. Does any one know if they are as good?

I really liked his 'France' trilogy: Birdsong, The Girl at the Lion d'Or, and Charlotte Gray. The first and last books are especially good. It's a trilogy in a loose sense, with a few recurring characters.

Otherwise I also enjoyed his Human Traces, looking at psychiatry and psychoanalysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

In book form, I'm currently reading Michael Connolly's "The crossing" I love Harry Bosche
    In Kindle, I'm re-reading Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix" a second Korean war taking place in the late eighties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The rational male by Rollo tommasi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'Maestra', easily one of the worst books I've ever read. Onto 'I Am Pilgrim' today.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and Other Lessons from the Crematorium by Caitlin Doughty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and Other Lessons from the Crematorium by Caitlin Doughty

Is that a what it sounds like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mountain

Birneybau wrote: »
    Finished 'Maestra', easily one of the worst books I've ever read. Onto 'I Am Pilgrim' today.

Enjoy Pilgrim, its a cracking read

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mountain wrote: »
    Enjoy Pilgrim, its a cracking read

185 pages in, mediocre so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Just finished Room by Emma Donoghue, today is Little Women.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Is that a what it sounds like?

Yes what it says on the tin :) it's about the authors experience working in the death industry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Yes what it says on the tin :) it's about the authors experience working in the death industry

I might give a shot then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

The rational male by Rollo tommasi
    I've heard it's good - what are your thoughts on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

stannis wrote: »
    I've heard it's good - what are your thoughts on it?

How deep does a rabbit hole go? I think it's essential reading for men today.it touches on stuff that was always lurking beneath the surface until it joins up the dots.depressing in parts with its brutal honesty.the author is a smart person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

King Leopolds Ghost. The Congo, genocide, the Belgians with a bit of Roger Casement thrown in aswell.
    One of those cover to cover books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Vienna 1814 by David King. About the peace convention after the Napoleonic wars that forged a near century of peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished City Of Dragons by Robin Hobb an hour ago and have moved straight on to Blood of Dragons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement