Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just finished "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden" by Jonas Jonasson. I think it might be the most bizarre novel I've ever read. I enjoyed it but it's so farfetched, one utterly mad idea after another. There's probably some social commentary in there too, but I'll have to reread with my disbelief fully suspended next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

About a third of the way through "The Butcher Boy", excellent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    About a third of the way through "The Butcher Boy", excellent so far.

Cracking book. I love Pat McCabe's stuff. Dark, but extremely funny. I was only thinking yesterday that a re-read of the Butcher Boy was in order.

I'm reading "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - magical realism type book. Not usually my cup of tea, but I'm 3/4 through it and enjoying it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Reading "Mr Nice" by Howard Marks. Enjoyable so far but hard enough to keep track of all the names of his friends and contacts. McCann is hilarious though.

Reading "Mr Nice" by Howard Marks. Enjoyable so far but hard enough to keep track of all the names of his friends and contacts. McCann is hilarious though.

Interesting read, terrible film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Interesting read, terrible film though.

Ah no really? never seen it was gonna give it a go.

Ah no really? never seen it was gonna give it a go.

Well, it's watchable I suppose. And that is just my opinion. One or two funny bits in it, but it could have made a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've just started I Am Pilgrim after several people recommended it, it's told from the first person perspective which was grand for the first few chapters but then it flashes back in time. I don't think the author is familiar with the phrase 'Show, don't tell', I'm finding it incredibly tedious and if it keeps up like this I may put it back on the shelf.

Finished it myself, I don't know how many times an author can finish a chapter with the same cliffhanger 'It was something I'd regret forever', 'Little did I know...'. Execrable.

I'm going to read 'Ruthless' by Ron Miscavige, son of the head of Scientology David Miscavige, next. About getting out of that cult and what happened inside. Having read (and highly recommend 'Going Clear'), I'm looking forward to it.

I'm reading "The Martian". One of the best best books I have read in a while. About 3/4 of the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Just started reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Fantastic book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Just finished reading The Light Between Oceans. It was a nice easy read. Hooked me about halfway through and had a few late nights where I didn't want to put it down.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Started reading "A Decent Ride" by Irvine Welsh. So far, so good.

Hopefully a return to form, away from the poor "The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

byte wrote: »

Hopefully a return to form, away from the poor "The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins."

Are those two books about the same thing? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

reading Perfume - Patrick Suskind, very good so far 60% through

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK well I started I am Pilgrim on the plane to me holliers in March. Great stuff, pacy, entertaining. Three days into the break and once the vials scene emerged with the Terrorist, I thought, feck this, it's over now, too predictable. That was a good bit in and I haven't picked it up since.

In fairness, it was an easy read for holliers if you get me, did not have to think about it too much, just went with the flow. I think I will have to finish it to find out how the world was not infected with a virulent strain of smallpox in the end. LOL.

At the moment it is "Spanish Steps" by Tim Moore. I am going to do a little stage of the Camino, and this is about his pilgrimage with a donkey on the Camino de Santiago. OMG I was in stitches. A very entertaining and funny read. Especially since I knew all the places he mentioned, just by working out where I would go myself!

Next up is The Rose of Sarajevo by Ayse Kulin. About the Bosnian war (novel). Read a bit of it and it seems to be very interesting, although I heard parts of it are quite gruesome. Anyway we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Just finished Victim without a Face - Stefan Ahnem, Scandinavian crime drama similar in style to The Killings. Highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Caesar chavez. Excellent. Also a ross o Carroll kelly one for light entertainment. He is very funny paul howard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

byte wrote: »

I used to like ervine welsh but i have gone off him. Is this one any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just started reading "The Hurley Makers Son" by Patrick Deeley

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm a little over halfway through "Fool's Assassin" by Robin Hobb.

I'm going to be utterly miserable when I finish this series of books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'Digging up Mother' by Doug Stanhope. Only a couple of chapters in but pretty funny so far.

Was really enjoying 'Aurora' but hit a brick wall over half way through and was struggling to go back to it so decided to change pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
    The sad tale of how the American Indians lost their land to White settlers.

In all the Westerns ever made I don't recall ever seeing this side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

OK well I started I am Pilgrim on the plane to me holliers in March. Great stuff, pacy, entertaining. Three days into the break and once the vials scene emerged with the Terrorist, I thought, feck this, it's over now, too predictable. That was a good bit in and I haven't picked it up since.

In fairness, it was an easy read for holliers if you get me, did not have to think about it too much, just went with the flow. I think I will have to finish it to find out how the world was not infected with a virulent strain of smallpox in the end. LOL.
    A shame because I am Pilgrim had the potential to be a good book but there were too many coincidences and it did stretch credibility at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Currently 100 pages into What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro, a former FBI agent. Super easy read but I've found myself highlighting things on nearly every page so far. Incredibly insightful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Halfway through Alan Cummings autobiog 'Not My Fathers Son' its excellent. I got it from the new Borrowbox app from the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Who Rules The World by Noam Chomsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Revenant

Not very far into it but it isn't blowing me away thus far. Punke seems to be trying to channel Cormac McCarthy but he hasn't got the language skills for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Re-reading the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman for the first time in years. I finished Northern Lights earlier today, and am onto The Subtle Knife now. So far the books are even better than I remember them to be! Preparing myself already for the emotional roller-coaster that is the Amber Spyglass, though. I always cry my eyes out at the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

pavb2 wrote: »
    A shame because I am Pilgrim had the potential to be a good book but there were too many coincidences and it did stretch credibility at times.

It was rubbish. Worst plot line amongst many was a down syndrome kid with a noose around his neck, perched atop an obese nanny, with a gun aimed at the aforementioned nanny. Folks that haven't read it, that's actually a plot line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

melissak wrote: »
    I used to like ervine welsh but i have gone off him. Is this one any good?
    It's OK so far, but I'm not too far through it. I thought Skagboys was good, a prequel to Trainspotting.

I might read Blade Artist after this, seems to revolve around Francis Begbie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement