Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Started back into A Song of Ice and Fire after too long a hiatus. Reading A Feast for Crows currently.
    Also reading book 5 of The Dark Tower, Wolves of The Calla. Found the standard has dropped considerably from the previous books in the series. Hoping he'll pull it back before the end of this book or I may end up not finishing the series at all. Which would be a shame seeing as I bought a brand new copy of Wind Through The Keyhole in the hopes of flying through the rest.

Have the first 6 of The Wheel of Time lined up and good to go for after everything else. I also have the prequel novel. Can anyone suggest whether this would be better read before, or hang onto it until after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Currently reading "Stoner by John Williams" expected a bit more from the read considering so many recommended it.
    Maybe there is more in stock, about 45% way through it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Good Liar by Nicholas Searle, it is a very good thriller and a bit different, a good holiday read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

I have three books on the go at the moment:

"SPQR" by Mary Beard. A look at the history of Rome from monarchy to republic to empire. Very well written and entertaining.

"Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. A novel of the Vietnam War. I'm about halfway through, so far, so good. It's shaping up to be as good as James Webb's "Fields of Fire" which was excellent.

"Waterloo: Four Days That Changed Europe's Destiny" by Tim Clayton. Latest addition to my Waterloo collection. It gives a good overview of the preceding days and the progress of the campaign before diving into the battle itself. Good detail and well-written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Angels of Bataan, it is about the U.S. Army nurses who were in the Philippines when the Japanese invaded. Half of the focus in how on they held together and survived, and the other half is about the politics that really shafted the entire army group that was stationed in the Philippines.

Very interesting for another point of view on WWII.

• Advertisement

Currently about halfway through "Fall of Giants". Very good. Glad it is a trilogy as the writing is superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

storker wrote: »
    I have three books on the go at the moment:

"SPQR" by Mary Beard. A look at the history of Rome from monarchy to republic to empire. Very well written and entertaining.

"Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. A novel of the Vietnam War. I'm about halfway through, so far, so good. It's shaping up to be as good as James Webb's "Fields of Fire" which was excellent.

"Waterloo: Four Days That Changed Europe's Destiny" by Tim Clayton. Latest addition to my Waterloo collection. It gives a good overview of the preceding days and the progress of the campaign before diving into the battle itself. Good detail and well-written.

Considering you're reading that book, I would recommend Andrew Robert's" Napoleon The Great" its about 800 pages long but one of the best biographies I've ever read.It only came out two years ago but a seminal biography on Napoleon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Currently about halfway through "Fall of Giants". Very good. Glad it is a trilogy as the writing is superb.

It's a great read
    Suspend your disbelief about all the coincidences and it's a thoroughly enjoyable trilogy

brinty wrote: »
    It's a great read
    Suspend your disbelief about all the coincidences and it's a thoroughly enjoyable trilogy

Are his other books up to the standard in Fall of giants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Are his other books up to the standard in Fall of giants?

This is my first series of Follett books
    But I've another one which I'm looking forward to the next series of books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

To kill a mockingbird. Was always on my to read list but never got around to it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

At the moment I'm reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett. The Discworld novels just keep getting better:). Next to read is End of Watch by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'Stalker' by Lars Kepler which has kicked straight into the action, one of the most exhilarating scenes I've read in a very early chapter. Enjoyed all the other books, the most interesting "crime" books I've read.

'The Girls' by Emma Cline will be the one after.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Flying through The City Of Mirrors, by Justin Cronin. Holds up well against the first two in the trilogy (The Passage, and The Twelve) and is really engaging. Time is passing quite fast as I'm lost in the story again :)

entropi wrote: »
    Flying through The City Of Mirrors, by Justin Cronin. Holds up well against the first two in the trilogy (The Passage, and The Twelve) and is really engaging. Time is passing quite fast as I'm lost in the story again :)

Oh I loved The Passage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I heard an interview with that author last night on BBC 5Live. Haven't started it yet but sounded good.
    Nomad by James Swallow
    https://www.amazon.com/Nomad-explosive-thriller-youll-Rubicon-ebook/dp/B01BU0A3RS/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465869873&sr=1-6&keywords=nomad

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Just finished Freakonomics. Interesting and good to get a different perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Tried to struggle through The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. I had to give up about halfway through, I hadn't a notion what was going on!

I moved on to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and just finished it today. Absolutely incredible and terrifying, honestly, especially in today's world. I personally loved the style of writing used but many others don't, from what I read on Reddit. I think if you liked 1984 and Fahrenheit 451's writing, you'll enjoy Atwood's.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Tried to struggle through The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carr . I had to give up about halfway through, I hadn't a notion what was going on!

I moved on to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and just finished it today. Absolutely incredible and terrifying, honestly, especially in today's world. I personally loved the style of writing used but many others don't, from what I read on Reddit. I think if you liked 1984 and Fahrenheit 451's writing, you'll enjoy Atwood's.

I love Atwood. Planning to re-read her 'MaddAddam' trilogy soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Half way through 'Lonesome Dove' Larry McMurtry's western.

So far, so superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just finished Paul Murray's "The mark and the void". Lovely light-hearted book, full of unexpected smirks. Not quite as good as "Skippy dies", though, but that might just be because I had somehow higher expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Wiseman Drinkwater

The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It

A really enjoyable book. I think that the power of these popular psychology books is that they affirm something within you that you know you to need achieve anyway. It will never replace the hardest step of acceptance though. That is something that a book cannot tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Re-reading the Amtrak wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Just started reading Requiem For A Dream. Liking it so far and it doesn't appear to be as depressing as the movie. At least not yet.

Tried to struggle through The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. I had to give up about halfway through, I hadn't a notion what was going on!

I've read three LeCarre's book's. They all made me feel really thick. Hadn't a scooby what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm reading Complications, by Atul Gawande, an American surgeon. I have often wondered what doctors are thinking as they sit on the other side of the desk. What is a consultation like from their perspective. This is a very insightful and informative book, not written in medical speak, but not dumbed down either. To me, it is fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

beauf wrote: »
    Re-reading the Amtrak wars.
    Wow, that's a blast from the past:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

'Dandelion Wine' by Ray Bradbury. Only a few pages in, so far so good - very good, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail. It could actually be the story of this year. Hunter Thompson does more with words whilst drunk, angry and high than most writers manage sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just started "Satin Island" by Tom McCarthy - intriguing! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement