Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Just finished Beyond Belief, My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill. Highly recommend, one of those ones I couldn't put down. Going for something lighter this time round, it gets fairly dark in parts as ya can imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. About halfway through and loving it so far. Isn't the kind of book I'd usually read (it's set in Western-era America around the time of the Gold Rush) and I've never read any of deWitt's books previously but if it keeps up this pace I'll be working my way through his back-catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. About halfway through and loving it so far. Isn't the kind of book I'd usually read (it's set in Western-era America around the time of the Gold Rush) and I've never read any of deWitt's books previously but if it keeps up this pace I'll be working my way through his back-catalogue.

Nice one - have it lined up to be read..

I'm reading Dirt Music by Tim Winton - similarly, the first of his I've read and unlikely to be the last.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Starting Catch-22. I've never read funny books before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Reading Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall
    Peregrine wrote: »
    Starting Catch-22. I've never read funny books before!

I'm one of the haters. Couldn't even read more than 1/3 of the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Barna77 wrote:
    Reading Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall

That is dense, you'd want to have a fairly good knowledge of the history going in as there isn't much explaining of who's who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

'The Profound Dharma of Self-Liberation through the Intention of the Peaceful and Wrathful Ones'

Heavy going at times, but really worthwhile in the end....perhaps even the very end. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Killing Of Bobbi Lomax. Really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Turtyturd wrote: »
    'Digging up Mother' by Doug Stanhope. Only a couple of chapters in but pretty funny so far. .

50 pages so far, very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just started Neil Gaiman's American Gods, it's been on my list for ages and I wanted to read it before the TV series.

• Advertisement

Started listening to The Long Mars by Terry Pratchett.

It's tough reading/listening to his later work, because you can really tell when his Alzheimer's started to set in when he was writing.

Just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill.
    entropi wrote: »
    Flying through The City Of Mirrors, by Justin Cronin. Holds up well against the first two in the trilogy (The Passage, and The Twelve) and is really engaging. Time is passing quite fast as I'm lost in the story again :)

The narration on the first book is absolutely superb. Excellent story too. Are the next two books worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Just started Neil Gaiman's American Gods, it's been on my list for ages and I wanted to read it before the TV series.

Just started this today as well. Been meaning to read it for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A book about snooker player Jimmy White.

Titled: Jimmy White - second wind

It is full of contradictions and shows Jimmy White to be a big kid at at heart. But easily led astray by less well intentioned people.

Overall Jimmy White shows himself to be a bit of an eejit. However, it does give a flavour of the mindset of the environment he was brought up in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Be interesting to know what you think, I found it really over rated

A Clash of Kings by George R.R.Martin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished the most recent book in The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy and I don't know what to do with myself now.

Any recommendations for something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Reading "An utterly impartial history of Britain" by John O'Farrell.

Totally entertaining and informative. Not one for the Universities or sources though! Great for a humorous overview, I am racing through it.

entropi wrote: »
    Flying through The City Of Mirrors, by Justin Cronin. Holds up well against the first two in the trilogy (The Passage, and The Twelve) and is really engaging. Time is passing quite fast as I'm lost in the story again :)

I didn't know the third book was out! Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Just finished "catch me if you can".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Started The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Finished McMurtry's 'Lonesome Dove'. Fantastic. Third of the way through 'Streets of Laredo'. It's not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"The Dirtiest Race In History"

Was always intrigued by the back story to the whole Lewis-Johnson rivalry, never mind the rest in that final. It's one of those seminal moments in sports history and it's proving an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I've been really loving non-fiction books so far this year! I'm reading "Missoula : Rape and the Justice System in a College Town" by Jon Krakauer at the minute.

I'm 70% of the way through and it is just as fantastic as the other books I've read from Krakauer. Quite a frustrating read at times because of the content though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I've just finished When Breath becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi. He was neurosurgeon in the States, diagnosed with terminal cancer, treated in his own hospital, by his own fellow doctors. It is uplifting, brutally honest, heartbreakingly raw, but magnificently written. I'm struggling through The Girl on the Train, and also A Delicate Truth, by John le Carre. This book is just not gripping me like other le Carre reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

failinis wrote: »
    Just finished "catch me if you can".

Makes for very interesting reading, really enjoyed it. You'd have to have some brass neck to do what he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

That is dense, you'd want to have a fairly good knowledge of the history going in as there isn't much explaining of who's who.

It is! Know the basics alright, Henry VIII looking for a new wife etc, suppose all those BBC documentaries I've watched must help now.

What it's really bothering me is the writing style, that 3rd person in the present. It can be a bit confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Barna77 wrote: »
    It is! Know the basics alright, Henry VIII looking for a new wife etc, suppose all those BBC documentaries I've watched must help now.

What it's really bothering me is the writing style, that 3rd person in the present. It can be a bit confusing
    Using "he" all the time was a pain. She changed that in the following book.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Starting Dragons of Eden and The Demon-Haunted World. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Consider Phlebas - Iain Banks

• Advertisement

Currently reading "The Humans". It's ok for a humorous book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement