Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding now. Given how famous the book is I probably should have read this years ago but hey! better late than never. Anyway it's a good oul read, but I can't stop thinking about that Simpsons episode when the kids get stranded on that island.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding now. Given how famous the book is I probably should have read this years ago but hey! better late than never. Anyway it's a good oul read, but I can't stop thinking about that Simpsons episode when the kids get stranded on that island.:D

Not sure if joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

An Affair With My Mother by Caitríona Palmer : It a very good book and really does show what a different country Ireland was even as little as 30 years ago.
    The author was adopted in the 1970s and it's the story of finding her birth mother who was now married with other children and wantd to keep her existence a secret. Her mother had been a young teacher in 1972 when she got pregnant and had to give birth in secret and hand the baby over to an adoption society.

There are great descriptions of family life and food in the book and of her birth mother living in a boarding house while working as teacher.

The children's home she was adopted from only closed down in the 1980s it was a training school for nursey nurses run by a religious order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've finished The Girl on the Train and I have to say I didn't care for it at all. Probably had too high expectations for it, but I didn't care for any of the main characters at all, I also though some plot revelations were a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

I finished a book a while ago that I really enjoyed for a fun, quick-witted, charming and lively read. I've never been on this forum and it may have been recommended before but if you are about to go on holidays or don't feel like a book that will take time to read, this is your bet... It's called The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

razorblunt wrote:
    I've finished The Girl on the Train and I have to say I didn't care for it at all. Probably had too high expectations for it, but I didn't care for any of the main characters at all, I also though some plot revelations were a bit silly.

I finished it out of curiosity but it was slog, surprised it was so successful in these progressive days when all the lead character were women whose lives revolved around men and having babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Currently reading The Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter.

About a third of the way through and enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I haven't been reading much for leisure lately (I submitted my PhD very recently, yay! :D ) but starting back tonight with 'The Dictionary of Mutual Understanding' by Jackie Copleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm just over three-quarters of the way through The Count Of Monte Cristo. I've found it to be a good read although I think it drags in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Nothing is True and Everything is Possible: Adventures in Modern Russia'
    by Peter Pomerantsev

Fascinating view of modern Russia and the corruption, censorship that permeates society. Pomerantsev worked in tv for many years, he follows gangsters, investigates the suicides of models, parties with avant garde promoters, talks to a falsely imprisoned business woman, tracks the rise of political technologists and the disintegration of the Moscow sky line as old buildings are torn down to give way to high rises etc., Reads like a thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Disappointed to hear I am pilgrim is terrible, I have it with me on holidays and the cover art was nice :P

girl on the train seemed to me like a complete coffee table book, grand to flick through. Felt it hard to sympathise with any of the characters though and the whodunnit plot line was a bit silly.

American gods I'm 1/3 of the way through. It's weird but I expected nothing less, high hopes.

I'd recommend Out Stealing Horses by Petterson if someone is looking for a new novel. Norwegian coming of age novel, told from the POV of the narrator as an old man. Beautiful little book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm reading IT, and also The Secret Garden to balance it out. :P Read both as a child. Still enjoying them.

I'm also reading The Lovely Bones, finding it hard to get into it. Just finished The Girl on the Train, thought it was OK, 6/10 maybe. And I'm rereading We Need To Talk About Kevin, really like that book.

Read the Elaine O'Hara book recently, can't say I enjoyed it, felt far too voyeuristic. :o And I've some Freud book out of the library about dreams, must get stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

madmaggie wrote: »

I liked it had some very interesting parts. but he did admit himself he was a bit grumpy writting this book , funny because i had thought myself that he came across in parts as A grumpy old man. Still a very good book but not his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

madmaggie wrote:

I liked it had some very interesting parts. but he did admit himself he was a bit grumpy writting this book , funny because i had thought myself that he came across in parts as A grumpy old man. Still a very good book but not his best.

I found it to be a bit too 'oh Britain and the British are wonderful' for my liking. Notes from a small island was better because he was still an immigrant, he's practically a native at this stage and it shows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Just about to start Gene Wilder: Kiss Me Like A Stranger: My Search for Love and Art. Love Gene Wilder and spotted it in a Charity Shop for €1 .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I just finished The Wicked Boy by Kate Summerscale and I would highly recommend it. Meticulously researched!

Currently reading I Saw a Man by Owen Sheers. For a thriller, it has yet to thrill at roughly a third of the way through it. I presume it picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

FunLover18 wrote: »
    madmaggie wrote:

I found it to be a bit too 'oh Britain and the British are wonderful' for my liking. Notes from a small island was better because he was still an immigrant, he's practically a native at this stage and it shows
    Yes, I feel it has the air of a tourist board promotion. I prefer Paul Theroux, no sentimentality there!

I'm about halfway through The City Of Mirrors by Justin Cronin. Very good, although some flashback chapters dragged a little bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I spent nearly 100 quid on books today even though I own a Kindle. Can't bate the feeling of a new book (or ten).

• Advertisement

Look who's back!

Hitler appears in modern day Berlin. Shenanigans happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Reading two at the moment: Gur Cake and Coal Blocks by Eamonn MacThomais and also a history of the Knights Templar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deedeemazzy

@Ladyandthetramp: brill twist at the end of We need to talk about Kevin :)

I'm reading a Colm Toibin book.. Brooklyn.. Not as good as The Master, which I loved ..
    Half way through Brooklyn..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Crumpets wrote: »
    I spent nearly 100 quid on books today even though I own a Kindle. Can't bate the feeling of a new book (or ten).

You can't pop in here and say that without telling us what you got...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Look who's back!

Hitler appears in modern day Berlin. Shenanigans happen.

Let me know how you find it - I wasn't impressed. Walter Moers' comic books on the same topic were way better some 15 years ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just finished the justin cronin trilogy - city of mirrors and also station eleven. I really enjoyed both books. So in a bit of an "end of civilisation as we know it" phase. Any good recommendations in this genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

joe40 wrote: »
    Just finished the justin cronin trilogy - city of mirrors and also station eleven. I really enjoyed both books. So in a bit of an "end of civilisation as we know it" phase. Any good recommendations in this genre.

Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy? I'm hoping to re-read them myself soon. The first one is Oryx & Crake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ellejay

Just finished reading Red Sparrow by Jason Mathews.

Addictive reading, really enjoyed it.
    It's a spy thriller book, Americans v Russians, pre mobile phone era.

A little slow in places but found it hard to put it down.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Let me know how you find it - I wasn't impressed. Walter Moers' comic books on the same topic were way better some 15 years ago ;)
    I'm about a thrd of the way through. I think a lot of the word play I am not quite grasping seeming as it has been translated to english if that makes sense. Like I think it would be funnier if I was german if that made sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

joe40 wrote: »

Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

That should bring that phase to a conclusion - it did for me. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement