Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm about a thrd of the way through. I think a lot of the word play I am not quite grasping seeming as it has been translated to english if that makes sense. Like I think it would be funnier if I was german if that made sense.

Makes sense. I only read it in English myself, but I didn't get the impression that a lot got lost in translation. I think the author was relying too much on Hitler's pretentious, over-heroic and over-polite way of speaking to seem funny when placed out of context.

Look who's back!

Hitler appears in modern day Berlin. Shenanigans happen.

There's a film adaptation of that on Netflix, very enjoyable, darkly funny film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

joe40 wrote: »
    Just finished the justin cronin trilogy - city of mirrors and also station eleven. I really enjoyed both books. So in a bit of an "end of civilisation as we know it" phase. Any good recommendations in this genre.

Douglas Coupland's 'Girlfriend In A Coma'

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Birneybau wrote: »
    Douglas Coupland's 'Girlfriend In A Coma'

Sounds serious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Just finished the justin cronin trilogy - city of mirrors and also station eleven. I really enjoyed both books. So in a bit of an "end of civilisation as we know it" phase. Any good recommendations in this genre.

Daniel Defoe - A Journal of the Plague Year.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Stephen King's The Stand, Robert McCammon"s Swan Song.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids is fantastic "end of the world" book, to add to some very good suggestions.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sounds serious

I know, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks for all the recommendations to my recent query. I will definitely check out a few. Some interesting suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fanatics2014

The Rise and Fall of Nations Forces of Change in the Post Crisis World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Just finished 'Now You See Me' by Sharon Bolton. Got it as one of those 3 for one deals in a glorified pound shop so wasn't expecting much from it. It was excellent! A very nice twist that I talked myself out of seeing coming. Edge of your seat creepy, but very flaming good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I took my little boy up to join the library last week and joined myself while I was there. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm having trouble getting used to reading physical books again :eek: I normally read on my kindle in the dark in bed but can't do that with a real book. Tried a booklight but it wakes my OH up. I keep trying to find time during the day but I can't. Aaargh!

On topic, after watching The Five, I'm trying to read Harlan Coben again and am halfway through 'Tell No One' but it literally puts me to sleep when I start reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I took my little boy up to join the library last week and joined myself while I was there. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm having trouble getting used to reading physical books again :eek: I normally read on my kindle in the dark in bed but can't do that with a real book. Tried a booklight but it wakes my OH up. I keep trying to find time during the day but I can't. Aaargh!

On topic, after watching The Five, I'm trying to read Harlan Coben again and am halfway through 'Tell No One' but it literally puts me to sleep when I start reading it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do this!

Finished Emma Cline's 'The Girls' which kind of left me a bit cold to be honest.

Currently reading 'War Of The Encyclopaedists' and really loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I finished it out of curiosity but it was slog, surprised it was so successful in these progressive days when all the lead character were women whose lives revolved around men and having babies.

My thoughts exactly.

Strangely enough the hotel room I was in last week had a bookshelf working a "take a book, leave a book" policy. Picked up The Missing by C.L. Taylor and it had similar device in using blackouts to drive the story and I actually found it a better read wit better characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

py2006 wrote: »
    You can't pop in here and say that without telling us what you got...

Haha true :pac:

The Year of the Runaways - Sunjeev Sahota
    The Light Between Oceans - M.L Stedman
    The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul - Deborah Rodriguez

just to mention a couple of them.

Also bought Me Before You because...well I wanna read it before watching the film. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

HS3 wrote: »
    Just finished 'Now You See Me' by Sharon Bolton. Got it as one of those 3 for one deals in a glorified pound shop so wasn't expecting much from it. It was excellent! A very nice twist that I talked myself out of seeing coming. Edge of your seat creepy, but very flaming good!

Her books are excellent. I'm on A Dark And Twisted Tide from the same series. Really enjoying it. You should also check out the M J Arlidge books as well, very similar and just as addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Crumpets wrote: »
    Haha true :pac:

The Year of the Runaways - Sunjeev Sahota
    The Light Between Oceans - M.L Stedman
    The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul - Deborah Rodriguez

just to mention a couple of them.

Also bought Me Before You because...well I wanna read it before watching the film. :pac:

And...

Are you somebody who can read more than one book at a time? Not sure I can but lots of folks do.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

eviltwin wrote: »
    Her books are excellent. I'm on A Dark And Twisted Tide from the same series. Really enjoying it. You should also check out the M J Arlidge books as well, very similar and just as addictive.

Loved MJ arlidge books , Anglea Marsons, Detective Kim stone series is good too.

And...

Are you somebody who can read more than one book at a time? Not sure I can but lots of folks do.

I have about seven books on the go at any time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Decided to re-read Arthur Golden's 'Memoirs of a Geisha' after I saw it in a charity shop and picked it up for 2 euro. I loved it as a teenager (and refused to watch the film in case it spoiled it for me), so I was a bit scared that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered. I'm about 130 pages in and loving it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Currently reading two books.

Night shift by Stephen King
    Real World by Natsuo Kirino.

Starting to much prefer reading short stories to novels. I like the quick interesting and to the point read these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Currently reading two books.

Night shift by Stephen King
    Real World by Natsuo Kirino.

Starting to much prefer reading short stories to novels. I like the quick interesting and to the point read these days.

King is at his best with his short stories

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A Wanted Man, a Jack Reacher novel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

On paperback I'm reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. It's about a woman who falls and hits her head and when she wakes up she's forgotten the last ten years of her life. On my phone I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. I've never read it before and love it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Flew through To Kill A Mockingbird, I couldn't put it down. It was very easy to read which I wasn't expecting and I loved the story and characters.

Similarly, found Wuthering Heights very enjoyable to read; another one I was expecting to be a slog.

Reread Catch-22 because I adore that book. It made me laugh and cry just as much the second time through!

Halfway through Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood now. I love Atwood's writing style and her dark humour; her descriptions can be very disturbing and very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

King is at his best with his short stories

Yeah. I have "Full Dark No Stars" on audiobook also. It is very good. What really got me into short stories was recently was the story collection "Young Skins" by Colin Barrett. Then I read Kevin Barry's "Dark lies the Island". Both are really good short story collections. As someone who lives abroad reading Irish short fiction takes me home.

I am looking forward to reading "There are little kingdoms" but haven't bought it yet. Also I've read half of the Sherlock Holmes Canon which is mostly short stories and they are all excellent. Will finish the rest of them before the year is out. It was great to discover Sherlock Holmes. I was in Taiwan and they had all the stories in 2 books for about 5 euro and it was among the only English language titles they had.

Anyone know any other good short story collections similar to the above.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I hope its a better read than American Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

eviltwin wrote: »
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I hope its a better read than American Gods.
    It's shorter, but I don't think any better for it. Anansi Boys is better, but the best of his books I've read is the short story collection Smoke and Mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deedeemazzy

The Girl with the Pearl Earring :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement