Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Enjoyable so far and I love the idea of Shakespeare surviving when most other writers have fallen away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

eviltwin wrote: »
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I hope its a better read than American Gods.

I think I preferred American Gods to Neverwhere. The Ocean at the end of the lane is still his best though imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've just started Neil Gaiman's latest collection of short stories, Trigger Warning. Enjoying them so far. First time I've read any of his short fiction, though I've enjoy several of his novels.

Personally ;) American Gods > Anansi Boys > Neverwhere > Ocean at the End of the Lane

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Just finished The Passage - Justin Cronin. Very enjoyable, couldn't put it down...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Keyzer wrote: »
    Just finished The Passage - Justin Cronin. Very enjoyable, couldn't put it down...

My all time favourite book. I still get chills thinking of the chase in the shopping mall. The Twelve, the second in the series, isn't as good but The City of Mirrors, the final one is back on form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The Red Moth, an Inspector Pekkala story, and The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

Reading After the crash by Michel Bussi atm.
    The dust jacket has a review referring to a Stieg Larsson comparison and I am usually wary of this pedestal as often a failed comparision, but nearly halfway through and still a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Lynne Cox's \Swimming to Antarctica, about all her long-distance ocean swims: she was the first person to swim the Strait of Magellan, and the Bering Strait, among others. I'm a swimmer too (though not open water) and I'm loving it, so much. I really don't think you need to be a swimmer to enjoy it, or even like sports - parts of it read like a thriller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'm currently reading Schindler's Legacy - True Stories of the List Survivors by Elinor J. Brecher. Brilliant book, I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Bob Bug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm currently reading The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's beautifully written but not terribly slow like some period novels tend to be (IME).

Previous to that, I gave up on The Girl on the Train about halfway through. Didn't get the hype around it, I didn't care for any of the characters. It felt more like a novel that was written to be a film than a novel for its own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

John Healy's The Grass Arena. Recounts his time as a homeless chronic alcoholic in London's parks.

It's an eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. Big brick of a thing, 900 pages long.

I think its a step down from the first book. A Game of Thrones was a big brick of a thing as well, but its a fast paced novel with very little filler and excellent character development; few problems getting through that one. In contrast, I could wipe three/four hundred pages off of this thing and very little, if anything really would be lost tbh.

Also, the quality of the writing is poorer than then first book. Reading A Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings back to back, you see the same sentences, same turns of phrase and same metaphors coming up again and again. Martin's a sparse enough writer; his strength lies in character development rather than world creating and this book suffers for it. Some naff things about Westros tbh.

Having said that
    the Tyrion Lannister chapters
    are fantastic and I'd still recommend it if yous like the first one. Moving on to book three now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. Big brick of a thing, 900 pages long.

I think its a step down from the first book. The first book was a big brick of a thing as well, but its a fast paced novel with very little filler and excellent character development; few problems getting through that one. In contrast, I could wipe three/four hundred pages off of this thing and very little, if anything really would be lost tbh.

Also, the quality of the writing is poorer than then first book. Reading A Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings back to back, you see the same sentences, same turns of phrase and same metaphors coming up again and again. Martin's a sparse enough writer; his strength lies in character development rather than world creating and this book suffers for it. Some naff things about Westros tbh.

Having said that
    the Tyrion Lannister chapters
    are fantastic and I'd still recommend it if yous like the first one. Moving on to book three now.
    Always felt the second book was the weakest of the series (so far!)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Always felt the second book was the weakest of the series (so far!)

That's really good to hear. I've heard a few horror stories about A Feast for Crows alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

30 odd pages into Stephen King's End of Watch, the last of a trilogy. I love it when you follow the characters lives through a series of books, the feeling of familiarity with them when you pick up the next book. I'm enjoying it very much so far, I'm very interested to see how it all ends:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Mr Darley's Arabian by Christopher McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm currently reading The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's beautifully written but not terribly slow like some period novels tend to be (IME).

Previous to that, I gave up on The Girl on the Train about halfway through. Didn't get the hype around it, I didn't care for any of the characters. It felt more like a novel that was written to be a film than a novel for its own sake.

I felt the same about the girl On the train
    . Am delighted to hear it from someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Lisha wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one! Really don't know what the fuss was about. I still don't know how it ends and I couldn't care less!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ilyana 2.0 wrote:

I'm sure you're aware theyre making a movie of it but I don't how it will work. Ideally it would have been made in the 90s with Ashley Judd in the lead role and would have gone on to be one of RTE's go to midweek movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am planning to read Europe in Autumn and Europe at Midnight by
    Dave Hutchinson.

Both books sound very interesting, looking at what is happening in the world at the moment. Has anyone read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

'Cricket's Strangest Matches' by Andrew Ward.
    Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Lisha wrote: »

I guessed it would just be a rush job written load of dross just like 'Gone Girl' so stayed well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Conan The Barbarian : 20 Tales by Robert E Howard.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am planning to read Europe in Autumn and Europe at Midnight by
    Dave Hutchinson.

Both books sound very interesting, looking at what is happening in the world at the moment. Has anyone read them.

They're both enjoyable reads. There's another good one by the same author , called ''The Villages ''.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bergmann

Just started "The Girl Who Played with Fire", sequel to "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" which I thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

currently, re-reading The Passage, then will re-read The Twelve, in advance of reading City of Mirrors - trilogy by Justin Cronin.

A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin.

Here's the thing. What is an absolute head**** about the first three books is that with a bit of tinkering and editing, you would have an outright classic.

What's going on with the editor, lads? Was he asleep at the wheel?

Part One is a meandering ****ing bore of a thing, but then Part Two is absolutely fantastic and is chock full of twisty, turny fast paced story telling. You cut down part one by about half, then you rewrite a few parts ("you know nothing Jon Snow", how many bleeding fecking times does that phrase occur in the book?) that don't seem to be well written (get rid of all that Bran stuff as well, its arse) at all; leaving yourself with a 900 page masterpiece; rather than a very good 1200 page book with 300 pages of waffle and some strange, oddly repetitive, sloppy writing. He's a damn good writer;
    The Red Wedding
    is testament to that. But then, some of the other parts of the novel feel like they didn't get past the first draft.

Maybe the guy is just a giant twat to work with in terms of editing.

Still, I recommend it. Feast, supposedly the nadir of the series, be the next one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Finished 'One Second After ', William Forstchen, an enjoyable post apocalyptic vision. Maybe just slightly too reminiscent of '80s movies like 'Red Dawn, but definitely worth a read.

Started 'The Stand '. As a sometime Stephen King fan I really don't know how I missed this. Shaping up really well. He really is one of the greats.

• Advertisement

Just read The Last Confession of Thomas Hawkins which was great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement