Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Fat Chance by Louise McSharry.

Pertty funny, and extremely candid about her cancer diagnosis. Harps on a bit too much about how much she loves being fat tbh (twice as long as the part about being diagnosed and treated for the cancer).. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Still, I recommend it. Feast, supposedly the nadir of the series, be the next one for me.

It's best to read Feast and Dance together, as for some stupid, completely nonsensical reason he split the narrative geographically rather than chronologically, so the books take place over the same time period. You can get reading lists online, I'm on my phone so can't link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you have any interest in History I'd recommend my current read. 1493 by Charles C. Mann . It's a look at how the world was changed by the linking of Europe to America post Columbus.

His 1491 on pre Columbus America is also excellent.

Both are easy reads and full of interesting insights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I've just started Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. It's been on my list for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Finished A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin.

Pointless book. 200 pages of good stuff; 500+ pages of padding. Big step down from the first three novels.
    The Cersai chapters are hilariously fun and over the top; the Brienne/Samwell chapters are boring, tedious, drawn out slogs (not to mention Brienne is the worst character in ASOIAF yet). I get what he's trying to do in terms of giving the reader a "how the lower classes are feeling the brunt of the wars" kind of thing, but it's still a ****ing murder to get through.

Also, the strange decision to split the book chronologically with DoD.

The writing is also much weaker. It feels ghostwritten at times, which is arse to say.

Anyone think I should try Dance with Dragons? **** if I'm going to put up with another FOC slog of a thing and Dance is much longer apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A little life by Hanya Yanagihara.

I have to admit, this book has shaken me more than any book I've read in a long, long time. Absolutely incredibly good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

United States Essays 1952-1992 by Gore Vidal

Beautiful writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Zxclnic wrote: »
    United States Essays 1952-1992 by Gore Vidal

Beautiful writing.
    Reading something similar, Christopher Hitchens, Arguably.

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Reading something similar, Christopher Hitchens, Arguably.

Just finished 'Hitch-22'...smashing read.

Just finished 'Hitch-22'...smashing read.

****ing shame he died so soon. His brother's such a talentless bastard in comparison.

• Advertisement

Nearly finished Make Something Up by Chuck Palahniuk. A series of short stories, I'm finding it a bit hit and miss, some are funny some are just crap. I'm not sure if I'd be bothered to read anything else by him afterwards yet.

Nearly finished Make Something Up by Chuck Palahniuk. A series of short stories, I'm finding it a bit hit and miss, some are funny some are just crap. I'm not sure if I'd be bothered to read anything else by him afterwards yet.

Been meaning to read something by him. Seems like my kind of author. I imagine Fight Club is well worth a read.

****ing shame he died so soon. His brother's such a talentless bastard in comparison.

Well I think his brother is a good writer, but very right-wing.

Well I think his brother is a good writer, but very right-wing.
    He's no Christopher! He is to his brother what Charlie Murphy is to Eddie Murphy, what Maggie Gylenhaal is to Jake, a poor substitute if I ever saw one. I want Christopher back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Been meaning to read something by him. Seems like my kind of author. I imagine Fight Club is well worth a read.

For me its one of those rare things where the film is better than the book.

Trying to read Guards! Guards! for my first Discworld book. Unfortunately I tend to read in fits and starts which isn't ideal for trying to read a book with no chapters when tired before bed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd recommend 'Survivor' and 'Choke' but to be honest I stopped reading mid way through 'Haunted', yonks ago, and have never gone back to him.

Samey old sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Reading at the moment:

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert.
    "Classic Irish Short Stories" by lots of famous Irish writers.

Just about finished "The century" trilogy. First two books were excellent and third was a bit pondering. Definitely recommend them for a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

20 pages left in Kings Bill Hodges trilogy and have downloaded the new Harry Potter cos yes I'm still a big kid at heart :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just about finished "The century" trilogy. First two books were excellent and third was a bit pondering. Definitely recommend them for a read.
    Stuck on page 300 of the final book ...
    Started game of thrones and through book one already ..
    Also reading the Mick Foley autobiography for light entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Just started Neil Gaiman's American Gods, it's been on my list for ages and I wanted to read it before the TV series.
    Just started this today as well. Been meaning to read it for years!
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Be interesting to know what you think, I found it really over rated

Finished this last night, I enjoyed it overall but it did meander a lot and it was quite portentous. I'm looking forward to the TV show though, looked up the cast list on imdb as soon as I'd fnished and watched the trailer. Disappointed I have to wait till next year.

I definitely preferrred Neverwhere although between the two books Gaiman either struggles with or doesn't like writing interesting leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Wrath of Angels .....11th book in the Charlie Parker series.

Excellent so far, can't get enough of it, hard to put the book down.

Detective story with supernatural theme....shouldn't work but does....well for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here. Untold Stories from the Fight against Muslim Fundamentalism. by Karima Bennoune

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

"The New Threat From Islamic Militancy" by Jason Burke. Brilliant, factual, unhysterical and accessible read on current events leading up to 2015. Burke is a favourite of mine, all his books are well worth a read on the subject if your into it, "The 911 Wars" is another good analyis and just as accessible.
    "Digging up Mother" by Doug Stanhope, next on the holiday reading list

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Lying in wait by Liz Nugent. She wrote Unravelling Oliver. Great second book. Her books leave the reader shook!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Little red chairs by Edna O'Brien - hard hitting & heart breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I just finished How To Be Good by Nick Hornby. It has to be one of the most pointless books I have ever read. Had heard great things about Hornby and was so disappointed to have wasted my time reading this. Should have probably started with About A Boy or High Fidelity.

I've made a start on Saturday by Ian McEwan after reading a recommendation of it here ages ago. Liking it so far!

Joining the library is really opening up my reading preferences! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I just finished How To Be Good by Nick Hornby. It has to be one of the most pointless books I have ever read. Had heard great things about Hornby and was so disappointed to have wasted my time reading this. Should have probably started with About A Boy or High Fidelity.

I've made a start on Saturday by Ian McEwan after reading a recommendation of it here ages ago. Liking it so far!

Joining the library is really opening up my reading preferences! :D

If I'm thinking of the same book...Saturday is a great read.

McEwan has a brilliant turn of phrase...there's a great description of a squash game and how the husband and wife synced their Blackberry phones so they both knew each others weekly schedule. Amazing what you remember....well maybe not.

Enjoy the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Little red chairs by Edna O'Brien - hard hitting & heart breaking.

I read that and I was really invested in one half of the story but not in the other half. I had a lot going on in my head that time so I must read it again and see if I can enjoy it more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement