Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

boobar wrote: »
    If I'm thinking of the same book...Saturday is a great read.

I'd have to call it one of the most overrated books I've read. I could not stand the characters, their incredibly wonderful lives, each family member wondrously endowed with esoteric talents.

Slow, monotonous, self satisfied and bloated.

Maybe that was the point. It totally turned me off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

William Shatners Tech Wars.

It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

The Lives of Women by Christine Dwyer Hickey. Quite dark, but am very much enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rioghain

Just finished Dominion by C S Sansom. It's set in a world where Nazi-Germany was victorious, and centres on the resistance movement in England. I had high hopes, having previously read Fatherland by Robert Harris. However it was a bit disappointing and nothing in comparison to Fatherland, which was wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Rioghain wrote: »
    Just finished Dominion by C S Sansom. It's set in a world where Nazi-Germany was victorious, and centres on the resistance movement in England. I had high hopes, having previously read Fatherland by Robert Harris. However it was a bit disappointing and nothing in comparison to Fatherland, which was wonderful.

I actually got pretty bored during Dominion, and I gave up. For something that should have been fascinating, it just wasn't.

I got a present of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child that I can't wait to get started on. Apparently I'm still a big kid at heart!

• Advertisement

Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood By Fatema Mernissi. It's a memoir of the authors childhood, having been born in the fifties in a Moroccan Harem.

It's an brilliant book, and captures the mood and resignation of the harem women perfectly, and makes me think of some old saying about never being able to enslave the human mind, even if their bodies are imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Lying in wait by Liz Nugent. She wrote Unravelling Oliver. Great second book. Her books leave the reader shook!

Read it in less than 24 hours! Really loved it, she's an excellent writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Read it in less than 24 hours! Really loved it, she's an excellent writer.

Same here she is amazing. Just started Liane Moriartys new book, it's a bit if a slow start but looking forward to getting into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

In a dark dark wood by Ruth Ware. About half way through, quite slow so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

northgirl wrote: »
    In a dark dark wood by Ruth Ware. About half way through, quite slow so far.

I was going to get her book with yesterday but choose Liane Moriartys instead looks like i made the right choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Finished reading "Harry Potter & The Cursed Child". I enjoyed it immensely!
    About to start reading Sam Blake's "Little Bones".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

McChubbin wrote: »
    Finished reading "Harry Potter & The Cursed Child".

What's this? How did I not hear about a new Harry Potter book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Collie D wrote:
    What's this? How did I not hear about a new Harry Potter book?

They published the rehearsal script for the new play.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

McChubbin wrote: »
    Finished reading "Harry Potter & The Cursed Child". I enjoyed it immensely!
    About to start reading Sam Blake's "Little Bones".

I've read Sam Blakes "Little Bones" very enjoyable, great twists :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Charley Boorman.
    By Any Means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli

Physics explained to you as if you were a 5 yr old and let's face it for most of us we are permanently 5 yrs old when it comes to theories of physics.

Candie wrote: »
    Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood By Fatema Mernissi.

Finished that, absolutely enthralling book.

Now just starting Hotspot: The Chilling True Story Of An Ebola Outbreak
    by Richard Preston.

It examines the Ebolavirus outbreak of 2014 and traces it's path and impact. Looks like a promising read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. 30 pages in a pretty good so far.

Also just finished Behind closed doors by B.A Paris. Good read

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. Really enjoying it so far. Engrossing.

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. 30 pages in a pretty good so far.

Also just finished Behind closed doors by B.A Paris. Good read

Read both in a day, great reads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

Ian McEwan Sweet Tooth

I love the way he writes women... Atonement was wonderful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Content Provider by Stewart Lee. I love the notes that give an insight into how he writes. Highly recommend it to any fans of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

spud82 wrote: »
    I was going to get her book with yesterday but choose Liane Moriartys instead looks like i made the right choice

Read the second half yesterday and I actually really enjoyed it. Starting Dead Wake next.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Re-reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. Loved it when I first read it, and loving it again now that I'm re-reading: I'd forgotten how funny it is too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Just finished Liz Nugent's 'Lying in Wait'.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will read her first book next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just finished 'The Bone Clocks'. I should have read 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet' first (I started reading both at the same time and there's a recurring character) but it just confirmed to me once again that David Mitchell is amazing. The last part was eerily plausible and too close for comfort, but... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

New Home wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Bone Clocks'. I should have read 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet' first (I started reading both at the same time and there's a recurring character) but it just confirmed to me once again that David Mitchell is amazing. The last part was eerily plausible and too close for comfort, but... wow.
    I've never read any David Mitchell, but I'm aware of him. You've convinced me to check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Salems Lot. Felt like some vampire action and surprisingly whilst I've seen the movie (as a child which terrified me for weeks afterwards) I've never read the book and I've read a lot of King.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Chris Carter : The Death Sculptor, if you like crime/thrillers I recommend Chris to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

8mv wrote: »
    I've never read any David Mitchell, but I'm aware of him. You've convinced me to check him out.

Oh good!! :) Start with 'Ghostwritten' and 'Cloud Atlas'. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement