Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished Irvine Welsh's latest offering....The Blade Artist.

Very interesting to see where the infamous Frank Begbie ended up in life. The Trainspotting psychopath living a teetotal life in California, family man with a beautiful home and a bright future.

The murder of his son sees him back in Scotland using his other "skills".

Although farfetched, I still finished it in 2 days, enjoying Welsh's switch to the Scottish dialect at various stages.

Not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Jessica "Decca" Mitford's memoir Hons & Rebels. I am somewhat obsessed with the Mitford family, so this was something I had to read. Lots of information I already know from having read The Mitford Girls by Mary S Lovell, but I love getting Decca's perspective on events and on her relationship with her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I started Unravelling Oliver at lunchtime today and was halfway through by the time the kids woke from their naps. Riveting stuff!! Will probably finish in bed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I read the first four of Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books during my holidays. They're really fun reads and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the remaining books in the series. I only heard of them because Film 4 showed the Odd Thomas movie after Anton Yelchin died.

Just started "Strengths finder 2.0" by Tom Rath. Finished "Fall of Light" Steven Erikson this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I just finished it recently (relatively) but Arnold Schwarzenegger's biography Total Recall was brilliant.

Really inspiring to see how far he came in life. He might be stroking his own ego a bit in parts, but I can't blame him really, as he really did get to where he is through hard work and a practical outlook on life. Definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

I read the first four of Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books during my holidays. They're really fun reads and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the remaining books in the series. I only heard of them because Film 4 showed the Odd Thomas movie after Anton Yelchin died.

Didn't realise the film was based on a book set. Will definitely give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Man Who Made Things Out Of Trees by Robert Penn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I've just started Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It has my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm reading The Ice Child by Camilla Lackberg. I'd never heard of this author before, but the book caught my eye when spending a book voucher. I'm enjoying it very much and would recommend it to anyone who likes psychological thrillers/crime novels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.

Downloaded it a few years ago but never read it as felt I had read enough of the 'self help' genre. Came across it on my Kindle in the last week and can't put it down. Find it excellent and will definitely learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Reading the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. My brother has been at me for ages to read it. I am about 5 books in and really liking it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished Dean Koontz The Husband

I always thought he was a horror author but if thrillers are your thing, this is very good. Lots of twists and full of suspense.

Can anyone recommend another Koontz novel that I should read?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through It. Not really feeling it compared to the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Dublin Tenement Life, anyone interested in local history I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dublin Tenement Life, anyone interested in local history I would highly recommend it.

Kevin C Kearns? I read that one recently too. Great oral history!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Jonathan Franzen's Purity.

I really enjoyed his other books, and I do like this one. I think his writing is actually getting better, he doesn't seem to focus that much on the cringey aspects of his stories quite as much any more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

About halfway through Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. The language is a little challenging at times, but I'm really enjoying it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

boobar wrote: »
    Just finished Dean Koontz The Husband

I always thought he was a horror author but if thrillers are your thing, this is very good. Lots of twists and full of suspense.

Can anyone recommend another Koontz novel that I should read?
    Odd Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am on book 10 of the 13 books on the 2016 Booker long list. Decided to start doing something a bit more productive in the bus than reading the Daily Mail.

This is the toughest one yet "Serious Sweet". It is just irritating the life out if me.

My favourites so far have been "The North Water", " His Bloody Project", "Eileen" and "All that man is". I hated "Hystopia".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent. Very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Papillon at the moment, really loving it. No doubt plenty of fiction in it but it's just a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Enjoying Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens very much right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Wool by Hugh Howly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished 11.22.63 by Stephen King.

Once again proves what a great writer King is, he can basically write about anything and make it enjoyable. I also found it to be an extremely moving book
    with a beautiful love story

Very long book but always entertaining and he paints a brilliant picture in your mind of the characters and everything that is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which I'm nearly finished. Planning to follow that with Blood Meridian which I started years ago but lost it or left it somewhere. Maybe I shoud try to read something lighter in between before starting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Shint0 wrote: »
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which I'm nearly finished. Planning to follow that with Blood Meridian which I started years ago but lost it or left it somewhere. Maybe I shoud try to read something lighter in between before starting into it.

One day in the life is a brilliant book not for the faint hearten though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

How I lost 100 pounds - Penn Jilette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Shint0 wrote: »

I read this on a long bus journey over twenty years ago. The bleak descriptions of the freezing condition stayed with me for years. Also the fish eye soup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The Children of Men by PD James.

Best known for the movie version with Clive Owen a few years back.
    The book is quite different, the lead character is certainly not at all like in the movie, although the basic dilemma in the story is the same.

Well worth a read if you enjoy distopian fantasy/misery!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement