Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We Believe The Children by Richard Beck. A fascinating book about the Satanic Panic of the 1980's and how the system at the time jailed innocent people for crimes that had never occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just started 'It' by Stephen King.
    Carrie is the only one of his that I've read so far and I enjoyed it from what I can remember so I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

"The Sympathiser" by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It's very interesting both in a historical context as well as from a cultural and social point of view. You can't help feel for the smart, witty narrator who is so aware of his own failings and those of the world around him, but still manages to care intensely for friend and foe alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Something Evil Comes This Way by Ray Bradbury, the Fahrenheit 451 guy.

Spooky rite of passage tale, set at Halloween in small-town America.
    Appropriate for all the times that are in it maybe.

Bit poetically wordy, but, as the lad in that RTE ad says,..."it draaahhws you in".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

delaad wrote: »
    Something Evil Comes This Way by Ray Bradbury, the Fahrenheit 451 guy.
    It's Something Evil This Way Comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Two books going at the moment:

Notes on a scandal - Zoë Heller. A rather excellent book.

Introduction to Buddhism - Geshe Kelsang Gyatso - started off as an interesting philosophical approach to life but as the book progressed has developed into dogmatic mumbo jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Two books going at the moment:

Notes on a scandal - Zoë Heller. A rather excellent book.

Introduction to Buddhism - Geshe Kelsang Gyatso - started off as an interesting philosophical approach to life but as the book progressed has developed into dogmatic mumbo jumbo.

I read Notes on a Scandal years ago and I'd have to agree. Brilliantly written and a great book. And, as is so often the case, utterly disappointing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Re-reading The Time Traveler's Wife at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

gutenberg wrote: »

Any good? Apparently its THE time travelling book to read?

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    It's Something Evil This Way Comes.

Thanks, knew I should have checked it:o

Thargor wrote: »

Dammit, so it is!:o:o

Thanks

py2006 wrote: »
    gutenberg wrote: »

Any good? Apparently its THE time travelling book to read?
    I enjoyed it the first time round and I'm liking it again now. Noticing lots of things on the second read that I evidently breezed over the first time, such as the discussions of free will etc. Give it a go! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Bio about Harry H Corbett by his daughter called the Front end of the Cow.
    Not long into it but seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Inferno by Dan Brown. I meant to read it before the film came out but hopefully I'll get through it fast enough while it's still out. It's really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've started Enchantress by James Maxwell. It's the first book from the Evermen Saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

buried wrote: »
    'Jerusalem' by Alan Moore. Moore's own love letter to his hometown of Northampton, and its absolutely brilliant. Moore tells various stories of characters, ghosts and centuries intertwined from a neglected part of England throughout this magical book in such a vivid magical way. I've been waiting over five years for this book to drop and I'm trying to slowly savour it all, which is difficult, as its so hard to put this book down. 1200 pages of this thing and nearly finished after a week. Perfect winter reading material, highly highly recommended.

I have just started this last night and enjoying it. Interesting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I always plough through a book even if I dont like it because I hate leaving something unfinished but my God Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell is going to defeat me I think, its won every award going but in my opinion it is borderline unreadable. It just never stops droning on, all the characters and conversations are the same. Worst of all it started out promising with the story of his youth as an abusive blacksmiths apprentice but after that it stalls and never recovers. I put it on my phone just so I can read it at work and get it over with.

Totally agree with this review from the Wiki link:
    ...dreadfully badly written... Mantel just wrote and wrote and wrote. I have yet to meet anyone outside the Booker panel who managed to get to the end of this tedious tome. God forbid there might be a sequel, which I fear is on the horizon.
    — Susan Bassnett, in Times Higher Education[10]
    I found it in a cage full of free books at the Bray recycling dump and thats where its going the minute its finished, not having an unfinished trilogy on my shelf and not a hope Im reading the second and third books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. Enjoyable as always, great for for escaping real life for awhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

I always plough through a book even if I dont like it because I hate leaving something unfinished but my God Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell is going to defeat me I think, its won every award going but in my opinion it is borderline unreadable. It just never stops droning on, all the characters and conversations are the same. Worst of all it started out promising with the story of his youth as an abusive blacksmiths apprentice but after that it stalls and never recovers. I put it on my phone just so I can read it at work and get it over with.

I used do that, now I think life is too short and if it's not gripping me I give up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just started Holding by Graham Norton and so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I have just started this last night and enjoying it. Interesting style.

Cool B, hope you have a great time reading it! I'ma give it (Jerusalem - Alan Moore) another recommendation here because I finished it recently and the first thing I did was purchase the Audiobook narrated by Simon Vance on audible.co.uk. just so I can swim through the dimensions of it again. This book is so good, great escapism. Will make an outstanding Christmas present for anyone interested in reading books that are modern, magical and original without it being too highfalutin.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

...dreadfully badly written... Mantel just wrote and wrote and wrote. I have yet to meet anyone outside the Booker panel who managed to get to the end of this tedious tome. God forbid there might be a sequel, which I fear is on the horizon.
    Susan Bassnett, in Times Higher Education[10]
    I found it in a cage full of free books at the Bray recycling dump and thats where its going the minute its finished, not having an unfinished trilogy on my shelf and not a hope Im reading the second and third books.
    It's a shame you aren't enjoying Wolf Hall. I really loved it when I read it though I do agree that the first book is very tough-going in places, especially the first half. It does pick up though I think, and the second book is simply spectacular.

Susan Bassnett, in Times Higher Education[10]
    It's a shame you aren't enjoying Wolf Hall. I really loved it when I read it though I do agree that the first book is very tough-going in places, especially the first half. It does pick up though I think, and the second book is simply spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I finished The Girl on the Train. It took me a week to read the last 50 pages as I was struggling to summon the will to do so. Absolute rubbish from start to finish. It moved as slowly as the commuter train that annoying woman travelled on every morning.

There are no twists or if there are they are so slow to materialise they don't count as being twists. There are ridiculous amounts of repetiton and the book reads in monotone. There is no suspense. There are no surprises. There are no cliff hangers at the end of any chapter. The characters and I mean each and every one of them are unlikeable.

I don't know where the hype came from but it is completely unwarranted.
    On the back of the book Stephen King wrote 'kept me up most of the night'.
    I can only imagine that was due to the horrible bout of diarrhoea reading it caused him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ Totally agree, I found it really rubbish. I absolutely did not care what happened in the end.

I've just started The Girls by Emma Cline. I'm only a chapter or two in but the writing style is really distinctive; I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    ^^ Totally agree, I found it really rubbish. I absolutely did not care what happened in the end.

I've just started The Girls by Emma Cline. I'm only a chapter or two in but the writing style is really distinctive; I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

Didn't care for 'The Girls' myself and enjoyed 'The Girl On The Train'. I dunno, if you've ever been blackout drunk, some things ring true in it.

Currently 800 pages into 'It', chipping away, and have the latest Rebus book from Ian Rankin coming up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Read The Thrill of it All by Joseph O'Connor.
    Love JOCs writing and it was all present and correct, but I just couldn't warm to the characters for some reason. Maybe because the members and music of the fictional group, The Ships, were never clearly defined. From the description in the book they seem to be an ugly hybrid of The Pogues, Queen and old Fleetwood Mac.

Currently half-way through The Good Liar by Nicolas Searle - better than I'd hoped actually, with a well-constructed story told partially in reverse (every second chapter uses flashback, getting progressively earlier each time). I hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

Reading A. Roger Ekirch's At Day's Close: A History of Nighttime. Fascinating stuff so far, looking at ideas of darkness and night in pre-industrial society, and also what people got up to during the hours of darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I've a bit of time off now so I've taken on a bit of a challenge. Gardens of the moon by Steven Erikson! 4 chapters in and I've not a clue what's going on but from the reviews I've read that's normal! Hope it's worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement