Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Vanished Years by Rupert Everett. He writes like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm approaching the end of "The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot.
    https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Chessboard-Dulles-Americas-Government/dp/0062276174/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481548595&sr=1-1&keywords=Talbot%2C+David-The+Devil%27s+Chessboard_+Allen+Dulles%2C+the+CIA%2C+and+the+Rise+of+America%27s+Secret+Government
    An explosive, headline-making portrait of Allen Dulles, the man who transformed the CIA into the most powerful—and secretive—colossus in Washington, from the founder of Salon.com and author of the New York Times bestseller Brothers.

America’s greatest untold story: the United States’ rise to world dominance under the guile of Allen Welsh Dulles, the longest-serving director of the CIA. Drawing on revelatory new materials—including newly discovered U.S. government documents, U.S. and European intelligence sources, the personal correspondence and journals of Allen Dulles’s wife and mistress, and exclusive interviews with the children of prominent CIA officials—Talbot reveals the underside of one of America’s most powerful and influential figures.

Dulles’s decade as the director of the CIA—which he used to further his public and private agendas—were dark times in American politics. Calling himself “the secretary of state of unfriendly countries,” Dulles saw himself as above the elected law, manipulating and subverting American presidents in the pursuit of his personal interests and those of the wealthy elite he counted as his friends and clients—colluding with Nazi-controlled cartels, German war criminals, and Mafiosi in the process. Targeting foreign leaders for assassination and overthrowing nationalist governments not in line with his political aims, Dulles employed those same tactics to further his goals at home, Talbot charges, offering shocking new evidence in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

An exposé of American power that is as disturbing as it is timely, The Devil’s Chessboard is a provocative and gripping story of the rise of the national security state—and the battle for America’s soul.

A fascinating read, for those whose boat it might float, but obviously not for all. And its loooooong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I tried reading it a few times before but just couldn't get into it. It's going a bit better this time, I wouldn't say that I love it, but it's not bad. Maybe I'll love it by the time I've finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Trying to get into 'Permutation City' by Greg Egan, tough going so far.

Also have latest Rebus book by Ian Rankin from when I need a rest from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Just finished 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville. Epic.

• Advertisement

Reading finders keepers at the moment. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Reading Bolloxology, it's a right laugh!

Reading finders keepers at the moment. Really enjoying it.

The Mark Bowden one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

9or10 wrote: »
    Came across this in one of my aimless browsing sessions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101613307&postcount=1

I've just finished the free simple and its hooked my attention. Quite spicy in places :).

Plus he's "one of us" and its nice to show a little love ;)

I read the sample too and very enjoyable, very dark first chapter but next two were interesting and have me thinking which i like in a book
    I contacted jonathan through here and he's send me a copy of the book so I'm looking forward to it after the sample
    Well done Jonathan
    #oneofourown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I got 'Almost The Perfect Murder' at christmas. Wouldn't normally be a big Paul Williams fan but jaysus, it's compulsive reading :eek: I feel a bit guilty at how fascinating I'm finding it :o

I also got Lying In Wait by Liz Nugent so looking forward to getting my teeth into that.

What books did santa bring everyone else? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished two of the Rebus series by Ian Rankin

Knots & Crosses
    Hide & Seek

Very gritty, set in Scotland with the troubled Rebus immersed in solving crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

boobar wrote: »

Knots & Crosses
    Hide & Seek

Good books alright.

Those are only 2 of his I've read but I plan to get round to reading the rest of them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I got 'Almost The Perfect Murder' at christmas. Wouldn't normally be a big Paul Williams fan but jaysus, it's compulsive reading :eek: I feel a bit guilty at how fascinating I'm finding it :o

I also got Lying In Wait by Liz Nugent so looking forward to getting my teeth into that.

What books did santa bring everyone else? :)

Lying In Wait is fantastic! Did you read her first book, Unravelling Oliver? It's a fantastic read also.

I bought myself a few books for Christmas. I usually read in the Kindle but I bought actual books when I was buying books for others. I'm on Talking To Strangers by Michael Harding, I really enjoy him.

Next one lined up is Bruce Springsteens autobiography.

I didn't do much reading last year so I'm going to set myself a challenge of reading a book a week for 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Good books alright.

Those are only 2 of his I've read but I plan to get round to reading the rest of them eventually.

The Kindle version of A Question of Blood is 99p on amazon at the moment...just bought it. Book 14 in the series

boobar wrote: »

Knots & Crosses
    Hide & Seek

Only finished the 22nd and latest in the series last night (having read the other 21 obvs).

Onto 'Ready Player One', which after 2 chapters is already very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall
    https://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Geography-Everything-Global-Politics/dp/1783961414
    All leaders are constrained by geography. Their choices are limited by mountains, rivers, seas and concrete. Yes, to follow world events you need to understand people, ideas and movements - but if you don't know geography, you'll never have the full picture.If you've ever wondered why Putin is so obsessed with Crimea, why the USA was destined to become a global superpower, or why China's power base continues to expand ever outwards, the answers are all here.In ten chapters (covering Russia; China; the USA; Latin America; the Middle East; Africa; India and Pakistan; Europe; Japan and Korea; and the Arctic), using maps, essays and occasionally the personal experiences of the widely travelled author, Prisoners of Geography looks at the past, present and future to offer an essential insight into one of the major factors that determines world history.It's time to put the 'geo' back into geopolitics.

Very interesting and an easy read despite its seriousness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A Day in the Life of the Brain. Not light reading, but fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The latest Jack Reacher novel, Night School. I got it for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. The writing's not that spectacular so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Simon Kernick: The Witness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just finished after the affair by our own boardsie Jonathan Kaye

Really great read. A page turner that kept me reading well past bed time. Starts with a really dark and engrossing first chapter that grips you and drags you in. The prose moves along at a steady rate building to an absorbing climax which you can't put down. Just when you think you have an idea there's another lair of intrigue is peeled back and revealed.

Please go and buy this and support one of our own. It's less than €5 in the Kindle store so it's well worth it. Make sure and rate and review the book too so he can get it out and about in the public domain.

To Jonathan, congrats and looking forward to your next book already.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Read a few things over Christmas -

* Relentless Spirit by Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin;

* The Secret River by Kate Grenville, a novel about early Australia;

* currently reading East West Street by Philippe Sands, about the origins of crimes against humanity & genocide at the Nuremberg trials. Sounds very heavy but it's actually a combination of memoir, family history, narrative history, and legal theory/history. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Started reading those Classics we all knew as children - Dickens, Robert Louis Stephenson, Dumas...

so, right now I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" on Kindle. I thought it was going to be boring, but in fact I'm quite enjoying it.

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. It's very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Started reading those Classics we all knew as children - Dickens, Robert Louis Stephenson, Dumas...

so, right now I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" on Kindle. I thought it was going to be boring, but in fact I'm quite enjoying it.

It is fantastic!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The last book I posted about here 'EYES IN GAZA', well I needed a break from it and have just started again.

Maybe because I've a number of tours of duty in Lebanon when the south was under Israeli occupation, but I found the Doctor Gilberts account of the war in Gaza a little overwhelming.

The book is wrote like a journal and his description of child injuries and death kinda knocked me sideways so I put it down and said I'd finish it in the new year ~ so here I am again. My second attempt to read 'Eyes in Gaza' by Doctor Mads Gilbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I finished that a few days ago, took me over a year to read and by the end it was a chore. I don't think it's dated very well and it definitely dips in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I finished that a few days ago, took me over a year to read and by the end it was a chore. I don't think it's dated very well and it definitely dips in the middle.

You're entitled to your opinion and reading is subjective but you're just plain wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

gutenberg wrote: »
    Read a few things over Christmas -

* Relentless Spirit by Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin;

* The Secret River by Kate Grenville, a novel about early Australia;

* currently reading East West Street by Philippe Sands, about the origins of crimes against humanity & genocide at the Nuremberg trials. Sounds very heavy but it's actually a combination of memoir, family history, narrative history, and legal theory/history. Highly recommended!

I'll look out for that. You might enjoy The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo - how evil people are made not born

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Great Breeders and Their Methods by Abram S Hewitt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement