Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Now reading The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. Interesting so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm 3/4 through "The 3 Body Problem" by Cixin Liu, and I have to say it's one of the most engaging books I've read in a long time.
    It's been a while since I last read a first-contact style sci-fi book and I felt they were getting a bit same-y, but this one is different and certainly worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm 3/4 through "The 3 Body Problem" by Cixin Liu, and I have to say it's one of the most engaging books I've read in a long time.
    It's been a while since I last read a first-contact style sci-fi book and I felt they were getting a bit same-y, but this one is different and certainly worth a read.

Oooh I think I bought that over xmas. Can't wait to get stuck in

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Former Dublin BlowIns

Ordinary Men - Reserve police battalion 101 and the final solution in Poland - Christopher R. Browning

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Got Bret Hart's autobiography as well as the full 3 of Chris Jericho's ones for Christmas. However I'm currently reading through Death of WCW by R.D Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez before I get to them. It's a great read, though you'll be tearing your hair out at the stupidity of people behind the scenes at World Championship Wrestling during the 90s and early 2000s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Doors Open by Ian Rankin

Thriller set in Edinburgh where a heist of some very expensive art takes place.

Gripping from the start, very interesting plot and some very scary characters make this book difficult to put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've just started on "Jews, God and History" by Max I. Dimont. So far it's interesting and a different slant for anybody into popular history.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Im usually 90% sci-fi/fantasy but after my brother twisted my arm into reading his previous one The Corrections he's becoming my favourite living author. Both novels are just random family dramas between not very likeable people but the writing is so indescribably good and insightful theres really nothing else like it that I've ever read, sometimes I reread a page just because it was so well written and I want to absorb it some more, I only ever really did that with the Grapes of Wrath and maybe a bit in Game of Thrones before now. I wish he'd try his hand at a bit of sci-fi/fantasy or else sci-fi/fantasy authors would try their hand at developing the characters and writing instead of just churning out the usual "X travelled to Y and did Z" monologue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Rereading 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch.
    Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Finished "Dead Connection" by Alafair Burke (James Lee Burke's daughter), partway through Angel's Tip, also by Alafair. Very readable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Reading 'Banished' by Lauren Drain and Lisa Pulitzer at the moment. It's about Lauren's life in the WestBoro Baptist Church. It's an interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Think on these things - Jiddu Krisnamurti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »

Im usually 90% sci-fi/fantasy but after my brother twisted my arm into reading his previous one The Corrections he's becoming my favourite living author. Both novels are just random family dramas between not very likeable people but the writing is so indescribably good and insightful theres really nothing else like it that I've ever read, sometimes I reread a page just because it was so well written and I want to absorb it some more, I only ever really did that with the Grapes of Wrath and maybe a bit in Game of Thrones before now. I wish he'd try his hand at a bit of sci-fi/fantasy or else sci-fi/fantasy authors would try their hand at developing the characters and writing instead of just churning out the usual "X travelled to Y and did Z" monologue.

I've read both and heartily agree - both books cost me valuable sleeping time on work nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

How Long Will South Africa Survive?: The Looming Crisis by R.W. Johnson. It's decent enough, largely descriptive but with some of the writer's personal anecdotes. The ANC and it's leaders corruption is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Rereading 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch.
    Love it

Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies last month, got Republic of Thieves at Christmas :D

Currently reading Angels of Caliban, and got The Name of the Wind as a present too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just finished "Lone Wolf" by Jodi Picoult and am deep in "Remember Me" by Mary McCarthy. Love a good story. I get my books at charity shops then give them back so they can sell them on, Have a Baldacci waiting...l

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Distress signals by Catherine Ryan Howard. Page turner but a bit daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Finished John Grishams, The Whistler. A good read now starting I Am Pilgrim.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've started Enchantress by James Maxwell. It's the first book from the Evermen Saga.

How are you finding this? I am about 50% through it and finding it a little on the boring side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thargor wrote: »

Been a big fan for years. Also like Dave Eggers and a the odd bit of Michael Chabon, 3 great modern U.S. writers.

Speaking of which, have started reading 'The Secret History' by Donna Tarrt. Good stuff so far.

Finished 'Ready Player One' by Ernie Cline over the weekend, recommend it as a light enough read for those into gaming culture/the 80s. Spielberg currently filming an adaptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If you enjoy Pilgrim there's a new Terry Hayes book due in March
    Year of the locust

Year of the locust

Year of the locust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

brinty wrote: »
    Year of the locust
    Year of the locust
    Year of the locust

If you didn't enjoy Pilgrim, you'll find it dull and repetitive.

UsedToWait wrote:
    If you didn't enjoy Pilgrim, you'll find it dull and repetitive.

Sorry was on my phone and multi posted

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

Just read Sense of an ending by Jules Barnes. Great book very tragic end.
    Would recommend reading it before the hollywood movie comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.
    Such a good book. The judge is a fantastic character.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How are you finding this? I am about 50% through it and finding it a little on the boring side.

I liked it. I went straight to the second book and finished that and I've taken a break for the moment to read other books. It's not exciting but I didn't find it boring either.

• Advertisement

I've just finished Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. It was a Christmas present and the first discworld book I've read, it won't be the last!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement