Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading a treatise on toleration by Voltaire - Sales of the book skyrocketted in France after Charlie Hebdo. One of the best books you can ever read in my opinon and is more potent now than ever before. You can find a lovely Penguin classic with this lovely painting by Francois Dubois on the cover.https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Francois_Dubois_001.jpg

Now that I look at the painting , I realise that it's not so lovely as its a depiction of Catholics gorging out the insides of protestants with swords and piercing weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Finished a novel and need more; easy reading. There is a huge bookcase here full of educative books but not my scene these days. Picked out one ."The Land I Live" by Stephen Longstreet, so will see what like it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

UsedToWait wrote: »
    If you didn't enjoy Pilgrim, you'll find it dull and repetitive.

Easily one of the worst books I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Just read Sense of an ending by Jules Barnes. Great book very tragic end.
    Would recommend reading it before the hollywood movie comes out.

Read that last year, it was so brilliantly written, fascinating to see the cause-and-effect of people's actions and reactions within relationships. Also, very ordinary main character but just portrayed so engagingly.

Am reading An Evening of Long Goodbyes; it's great, very like PG Wodehouse with a funny turn of phrase but also a sharp eye on modern Ireland. If it's even half as good as Skippy Dies I'll be happy, SD was amazing, I'm still gobsmacked over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

John Porter of Kingsclere, An Autobiography (publ. 1919)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just fine Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. One of my favorite books was his Prisoner of Birth and this was a really good long read too. Pure hard to put down page turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Waiting, waiting, waiting for amazon to deliver the 2nd book to The Three Body Problem...
    and re-reading all my Neil Gaiman books while waiting. American Gods was actually better the second time round, Neverwhere wasn't quite as good as I remembered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No easy day, the US Marine corp assault on the Iraqi city of Falujah.

Joined the local library which is incredibly well stocked.. AND visited the local charity shop who have books at 4 for a euro.. the library also had a great table of freebies..RICHES!

Started a Jodi Picoult but the subject matter of this one is not to my taste. We shall see. She researches in too much detail often I am finding. I read "Lone Wolf" recently and it became almost a text book on wolf behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Manach wrote: »
    No easy day, the US Marine corp assault on the Iraqi city of Falujah.
    Is No Easy Day not Seal Team 6 going after Bin Laden?

https://www.amazon.com/No-Easy-Day-Autobiography-Firsthand/dp/0525953728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm reading The Hobbit, starting Chapter 4 and enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

About one third of the way through Justin Cronin's The Passage. Thoroughly engrossed in it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

I've just started Win or Learn by John kavanagh. I'm enjoying it so far, the quality of writing is much better than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Bought "An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield. I'm delighted he so far has only spoken of what it takes to become an astronaut and his experiences in Space but I think it's meant to be a self-help book; how to be an astronaut in your everyday life kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Re-reading Catch-22 , a classic !

Ploughing through "The Son" by Jo Nesbro. Took a long time to get into with so many names...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I'm listening to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K Rowling read by Stephen Fry. I read them all years ago as a teenager but listening to the narration again is great. I am enjoying it as much as the first time through and understanding the plot much more. Actually my first time ever rereading a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Around 100 pages into "all hell let loose" by max Hastings. A complete guide to WWII. Very interesting and depressing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Night Watch, by the late great Terry Pratchett. I read it at least once a year. Still laugh at the jokes and see new nuances ) Its about an old cop (the legendary Sam Vimes) that goes back in time and meets his young self, just starting out as a cop. And he teaches him(self) how to walk a beat, see whats going on around him, and when to hold on to the beast within us all..... And when to let it loose.

Oh, and there magic, dwarves, and trolls (only in first chapter) and the birth of Sam's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Going to start The miniaturists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

GLaDOS wrote: »
    About one third of the way through Justin Cronin's The Passage. Thoroughly engrossed in it.

I finished the third book in the series, City of Mirrors, yesterday...I envy you just starting out :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kurtosis wrote: »
    I finished the third book in the series, City of Mirrors, yesterday...I envy you just starting out :pac:

Are the follow up books good?

I'd heard mixed things about the second one.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The third was a bit..ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I enjoyed them all, not necessarily gritty realism, but have to say they are serious page turners!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Paul Kalanithi - When Breath Becomes Air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Parchment wrote: »
    Paul Kalanithi - When Breath Becomes Air

It's a wonderful wonderful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Comrades, I am reading "all the kremlin's men-a look inside the court of Vladimir Putin

Another Picoult about whales but finding it a confusing read as it hops from one time to another....

Did not though know that whales do not sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I've started reading Digging Up Mother: A Love Story by Doug Stanhope. Only a chapter in but am enjoying it so far. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement