Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

Naked Statistics

Unreal book!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Flanagan's The narrow road to the deep North (excellent), and followed it up with watching Bridge on the river Kwai (1958) which cheered me up a bit.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K Rowling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just finished The Drop by Dennis Lehane.

A short book only 200 pages but absolutely top quality.Dennis Lehane is such a brilliant writer the characters he creates and sense of place are what make his books what they are.There isn't a whole pile of plot in the book and yet it's a very enjoyable read

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 American Pie

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right - by Jane Mayer.

Has turned out to be a fascinating book, especially with everything that is happening in US politics at the minute. Don't be put off by the title, it appears to be well researched. If only a half (or even a quarter for that matter) of it turns out to be true, it still doesn't bode well how much both the public and politicians have been swayed by the exceptionally rich in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Comfort reading! Annie Murray "Soldier Girl". I joined the library here; they let you renew online so I did that and have back up books from the local charity shop at 4 for a euro.... Books to knit to and to take the mind off the weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Reading William MacAskill's "Doing Good Better". It is a really interesting read so far, covering the concept of effective altruism, trying to maximise the benefit provided by good deeds using evidence, whether that be through one's career, charitable donations or ethical consumerism. I'm enjoying it so far, it's definitely making me consider things from alternative perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I reread Trainspotting in light of seeing T2.

It really is one of the great novels of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mrs keano got me Paul O'Connell's autobiography for Valentines. Looking forward to starting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Bought IT by Stephen King just now.

I read it in my teens and loved it. Still have that copy but it's not in best condition. So bought a fresh, juicy copy that has bigger text. Sweet jesus is it a thick book.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Alexandra Heminsley's Leap In the other day. I liked it but it wasn't as good as her Running Like a Girl.

I'm now about halfway through 1666: Plague, War and Hellfire, which is pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

keano_afc wrote: »
    Mrs keano got me Paul O'Connell's autobiography for Valentines. Looking forward to starting it.

I read it over Christmas. Great book, enjoy it.

I've just finished reading The Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Page turner.

I've started the latest of the Jack Reacher books, Night School. They're my guilty pleasure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

wrmwit wrote: »
    I read it over Christmas. Great book, enjoy it.

I've just finished reading The Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Page turner.

I've started the latest of the Jack Reacher books, Night School. They're my guilty pleasure!

agreed
    Paulie's book is a bit meh TBH.. about 100 pages in and no depth or insights i've noticed, a bit sports biography formulaic type read

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I'm almost finished 'Before The Fall', Noah Hawley. Excellent stuff. I'm sure there are many here who've already done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Reading The Physician by Noah Gordon.

Set mainly in Medieval Middle East , it's one man's quest to study medicine in Asia at that time. Great atmospheric recreation. Long but gripping read.

Part of a trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Reading The Physician by Noah Gordon.

Set mainly in Medieval Middle East , it's one man's quest to study medicine in Asia at that time. Great atmospheric recreation. Long but gripping read.

Part of a trilogy.

It's a bit iffy on the historical detail in places but I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lisa Gardner; "Catch Me." an unusual thriller.. must get back to it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ian Rankin's latest Rebus novel. Rather Be The Devil. Moves along nicely. Helps to imagine Ken Stott (who played Rebus on TV) in the role in order to get the flow of the dry banter between the characters.

I must read more Rankin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have just finished "The Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled from India to Europe for Love" by Per J. Andersson
    This is based on real events and a very touching book, a mix of history, philosophy and the tale of a long journey. It also shows how much the world has changed since the 1970s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

py2006 wrote: »
    Bought IT by Stephen King just now.

I read it in my teens and loved it. Still have that copy but it's not in best condition. So bought a fresh, juicy copy that has bigger text. Sweet jesus is it a thick book.

Enjoy! I have almost all of his books, some since I was a teenager, which wasn't exactly yesterday:). I plan to re read some if I ever get round to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm reading Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves.
    Fascinating autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Your Face wrote:
    I'm reading Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves. Fascinating autobiography.

Try Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel if you could put two ww1 books back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Went to see the film Denial a few weeks back and enjoyed it. It deals with the libel case David Irving brought against Deborah Lipstadt over her book Denying the Holocaust, in which she names him as a Holocaust denier. I had previously read Lipstadt's book based on the case, History of Trial, but I had never read the book that caused it all in the first place. So I'm currently reading Denying the Holocaust and finding it fascinating, if grim. I think it is a book that has a renewed importance and relevance in today's political circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haven't been well this week and not much energy to read so I've been listening to the audiobook of Winnie the Pooh narrated by Judi Dench, Stephen Fry, Jane Horrocks among others and its been a joy to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Try Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel if you could put two ww1 books back to back.

Nice one. I was looking for something from the German side.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Got into audio books a few years ago (www.audible.com) and now it's part of my daily routine - driving to work with the headphones in.
    Just finished Moby Dick and started Don Quixote this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seaba wrote: »
    Got into audio books a few years ago (www.audible.com) and now it's part of my daily routine - driving to work with the headphones in.
    Just finished Moby Dick and started Don Quixote this week.

I hate seeing people do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Your Face wrote: »
    Nice one. I was looking for something from the German side.

All Quiet on the Western Front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Birneybau wrote: »
    I hate seeing people do that.
    I used to be skeptical about it also until I tried it. For me it's no different to listening to the radio. I can hear everything that I used to hear with the radio on.
    I plug my headphones in to my phone and listen via the app. I travel an hour to work and back again. I have young kids at home and it's difficult to read/do anything when I get home - this has opened up a new world to me! Raging I did not come across it sooner!

I would never use it if I thought it put me in greater danger on the road.

Edit: I live "down the country". There is not as much traffic on the roads. On the odd occasion I do drive to Dublin I take them out as you really have to concentrate in the city with cars switching lanes etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement