Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

David Attenborough's "Life on Air" - It was pretty much guaranteed that I'd love this because David is basically my favourite human, but it really is fantastic. Although I found out a few days ago that he narrates the audio-book and obviously that would be amazing, so I wish I'd gone for that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

A Man Called Ove.

Anyone here read it? What's their opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

David Attenborough's "Life on Air" - It was pretty much guaranteed that I'd love this because David is basically my favourite human, but it really is fantastic. Although I found out a few days ago that he narrates the audio-book and obviously that would be amazing, so I wish I'd gone for that instead.
    Loved that book. He comes across as someone who is aware that he has had an extraordinary life with extraordinary experiences but still manages to seem so unassuming and down to earth. It made me love him even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Not tonight, Josephine by George Mahood on kindle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Last few chapters of J.M. Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians atm, has been an excellent short, simple read :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

'Pour me a life' by AA Gill

Basically it is his bio with focus on his boozing years. It really is an excellently written book. He had such a way with words that you just want to read and read and read. His words are like a finely orchestrated symphony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sapiens - A brief history of humankind
    By: Yuval Noah Harari

Very good, thought provoking book about human evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    A Man Called Ove.

Very good book. On the surface seems light hearted, but has some depth and engaging characters. If you liked The Rosie Project or The Hundred Year Old Man, you should read this.

Just finished American Gods. At times spell binding, sometimes bewildering, it should be on everyone's must read list.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Chris Carter : The Caller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Graham Masterton : Dead Girls Dancing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

In not reading one at the minute, I'm typing this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I just finished Clive Barker's 'The Scarlett Gospels'.

Clive Barker returns to the Hellraiser series, which sees Pinhead is killing off magic users to acquire enough power to conduct a coup de etat in Hell and take over.
    To expand the universe away from the repetitive formula established by the films of 'idiot opens a puzzle box and has to figure a way to stuff the Cenobites back into it before they can find a creative way to make you eternally suffer', Barker introduces another of his cannon characters, the 'supernatural detective' Harry D'Amour as a competent foil for Pinheads machinations.
    To say I was excited for this novel is an understatement. I love the Hellraiser mythology and I've seen most of the movies, yeah, I've even subjected myself to the worst of that declining and abused series.

Well.... it's $h1t. Spectacularly bad. I can't quite believe Barker managed to write a novel about a coup in Hell by Pinhead that manages to be so boring, flat and uninteresting.
    I can see what he as trying to do, kick off a shared universe series with these characters and the novel feels like the intro for this. Sadly the execution is so breathtakingly incompetent I suspect we won't see any more from it. Of course barker has form for starting stories intended to continue and then just abandoning them.
    Pinhead's motivation makes little sense and D'Amour basically trails him through hell ... doing absolutely nothing that has any impact on the plot, which just sort of happens in a hell so dull that you wonder how the same writer that gave us 'The Hellbound Heart' could have written this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    A Man Called Ove.

I loved it. A complex man with a very sad story. I think he is on the autism spectrum myself. Routines and all that.

But the whole story is just amazing, funny in parts as in snort out loud, and in others very sad when you look at his life and background and all the awful things that happened to him.

But at the end of the day it is a really enjoyable read. Well to me it was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Bill Bryson's Down Under,about his travels around Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

wrmwit wrote: »
    I've started the latest of the Jack Reacher books, Night School. They're my guilty pleasure!

Finished Jack Reacher. It was good. The same formula as in all of the other books but I wasn't expecting anything different.

Just about to get my teeth into Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's been on the shelf for 2 years and I never got around to it. Seems to be a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A bit grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Just started 'The Bookseller of Kabul' by Asne Seierstad

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Inferno by Dan Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A bit grim.

I can imagine. I loved the movie. Grim as fcuk!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wrmwit wrote: »
    Finished Jack Reacher. It was good. The same formula as in all of the other books but I wasn't expecting anything different.

Just about to get my teeth into Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's been on the shelf for 2 years and I never got around to it. Seems to be a classic.
    Thanks for that. You reminded me that I have it and it will fit in nicely atm.

I was given Welcome to Night Vale the Christmas before last and I'm just getting around to it now.

It's bizarre in a way that I really like. I've never listened to the podcast but after finishing this I might look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Vojera wrote: »
    I was given Welcome to Night Vale the Christmas before last and I'm just getting around to it now.

It's bizarre in a way that I really like. I've never listened to the podcast but after finishing this I might look into it.

I've heard a couple of the podcasts. What's the book like?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aj89

Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn....

A long read but well worth it!

I've heard a couple of the podcasts. What's the book like?
    I'm not that far into it, but it has an eerie vibe, where everyone accepts the weirdness at face value but they know also that things are not normal but they're being monitored all the time so they can't say anything.

It follows two characters and how their lives change after they encounter a man in a tan suit whose name and face they can't remember as soon as he leaves. One of the women ends up with a piece of paper in her hand that keeps ending up back in her grasp, no matter how many times she burns it or shreds it so she decides to figure out what it is. It follows their lives and it's interspersed with transcripts from the nightly radio broadcasts.

I like the particular brand of weirdness (reminds me of the writing from the Fallen London and Sunless Sea games - I guess you could call it Lovecraftian?) but I can also see how it wouldn't suit a lot of people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm not that far into it, but it has an eerie vibe, where everyone accepts the weirdness at face value but they know also that things are not normal but they're being monitored all the time so they can't say anything.

It follows two characters and how their lives change after they encounter a man in a tan suit whose name and face they can't remember as soon as he leaves. One of the women ends up with a piece of paper in her hand that keeps ending up back in her grasp, no matter how many times she burns it or shreds it so she decides to figure out what it is. It follows their lives and it's interspersed with transcripts from the nightly radio broadcasts.

I like the particular brand of weirdness (reminds me of the writing from the Fallen London and Sunless Sea games - I guess you could call it Lovecraftian?) but I can also see how it wouldn't suit a lot of people too.

Sounds good actually! I must have a look on Amazon so. Thanks, V! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished 'Salem's Lot' last night, enjoyable enough.

Now reading Donal Ryan's 'All We Shall Know', like it, bit grim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

This was mentioned in another thread, I'm enjoying it currently
    https://www.amazon.com/Margrave-Marshes-SHEILA-RAVENSCROFT-JOHN/dp/0552551198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488578230&sr=8-1&keywords=margraves

DJ John Peel's autobiography, finished off by his wife after his death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

Very enjoyable read it sort of creeps up on you as it's a very simple book and nothing much happens in it and yet the more you read the more you realise how enjoyable it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

"a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" about 50 pages in and I'm struggling with it a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement