Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Freddie Mercury's biography. But I only read the prologue so far talking about their Live Aid perfromance and that Queen were on the verge of breaking up at the time, and their performance at the concert was by far the best performance of that event. They were the stand out act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

11/22/63 - Stephen King

It's very good so far and I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Slattsy wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and bought The Count of Monte Cristo this morning.

Sweet baby Jesus this book might take me 6 months to get through but I'll do it !!!!

Enjoy, that book is a journey and I didn't want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Sweet baby Jesus this book might take me 6 months to get through but I'll do it !!!!

Best book I have ever read... At times you think that it is going off on a tangent with the sub-plots, but then you realise that the sub-plots would be brilliant novels in themselves. I read it online, so I didn't realise how long it was til I was 70 something chapters in (119 chapters in total I believe), but when you finish it, you will miss it because it will suck you in so much!!!!

Anyways, I am now reading the Portrait of Dorian Grey. I have just finished "Call of The Wild" by Jack London. Kinda going for short novels to get over "The Count of Monte Cristo"

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Davyhal wrote: »
    Best book I have ever read... At times you think that it is going off on a tangent with the sub-plots, but then you realise that the sub-plots would be brilliant novels in themselves. I read it online, so I didn't realise how long it was til I was 70 something chapters in (119 chapters in total I believe), but when you finish it, you will miss it because it will suck you in so much!!!!
    I read most of Dumas' novels years ago. I'd stay up until really late at night becuase I couldn't stop reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

The Forgotten Soldier
    By Guy Sajer
    About a french teenager fighting in the Gross Deutschland division WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The last book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Halfway through this book and I think King has literally lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I finished The Stand by Stephen King last week. Was reading it for nearly a month and even at that I didn't want it to end! Definitely my favourite book of his so far.

Have Dracula downloaded to read next. I'm also thinking of getting The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, has anyone read it?

Loved the Stand! One of his very best, but I always reckoned that Needful Things was his very best. Absolutely love that one!

I loved Needful Things but found the end very disappointing! The Stand took forever to get through lol, I remember starting and re-starting it a few times. Series was excellent too and loved his cameo in it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

Brave New World

Aldous Huxley

So far so good ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

the_djoker wrote: »
    Brave New World

Aldous Huxley

So far so good ...
    Great Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I just started "limitless"
    You know, the one that was made into a movie. Didn't see the movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I know Ireland is famous for its literary giants - but the only one's I like really are Behand and Wilde - love american writers - Kerouac, McCarthy, Hemmingway - currently just finished Big sur (Kerouac)

p.s. my favourite book's are Brendan Behan - Borstal Boy and the old man and the sea (Hemmingway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Well, I'm re-reading it. William Shatner, "Tek Wars".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I started jung and the post jungians by andrew samuels yesterday. Jungian stuff usually has a positive effect on the mental health. The book is fairly abstract, i'd be wondering why i'm reading such esoteric stuff. The book will help you understand by confusing the bejaysus out of you. And whats it all about anyway? Nothing other trying to explain the things we do and the way we are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started Terry Pratchett's "Moving Pictures" the other day. Will move onto the new Robin Hobb book ("City of Dragons") once I'm finished.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Just finished Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, seriously funny book and very cleverly written

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Its okay

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

The case of the speluncean explorers.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Its okay

Is that the sequal to Mistborn? I thought Mistborn was quite good, the magical system was a bit too technical for my liking but as fantasy goes it's quite original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Way of Kings Part Two by Brandon Sanderson, First one was amazing it was a chore waiting from 9 last night till 9 this morn to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Is that the sequal to Mistborn? I thought Mistborn was quite good, the magical system was a bit too technical for my liking but as fantasy goes it's quite original

Its the first Mistborn book. Its okay, but I have read a lot of these supposed 'New Fantasy' books recently. I read Brent Weeks just before Christmas and I am a huge Mark Chadbourn fan so they start to blend into one another.

I think he released one last year though set in the same work. Its not a sequel but its after the first trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mark Z Danielowski's Only Revolutions. It's my second time reading it and I still have only the barest idea of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Joseph Heller's God Knows

It's no Catch 22, but it's got lots of funny bits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Alan Partridge's autobiography. Ridiculously funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jack Kerouac - On The Road

I think a film is in the works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Alan Partridge's autobiography. Ridiculously funny.

Noticed some readers having a good giggle around the pool last month.

He's a funny guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Assassins - Assassinations that shook the world: from Julius Caesar to JFK
    by Steven Parissien.
    Good historical read, lots of pictures too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just finished 'Fly away Peter' by David Malouf. A beautiful story about a young man and nature lover from Queensland and his brutal trench experiences during WW 1. Memorable.

Now reading Jon McGregor's 'if nobody speaks of remarkable things'. Beautifully written story about ordinary city people living ordinary lives in England. So far an absolute joy to read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Waylander by David Gemmell. Not a huge fan of his early books (he was a far superior author at the end of his career) but it's easy reading and I can read the Swedish version without too much difficulty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement