Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finally it's been released and has surpassed my expectations.

Mississippi Blood, Greg Iles.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Just finished "The Wake" by Paul Kingsnorth. Set in England 1066 after the Norman invasion. Very good, takes a while to get the hang of the language but worth the effort. Crowd funded publish. A very different type of book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The Many Coloured Land by Julian May. It's the first book in a trilogy about people who use a one-way device to go back in time to the Pliocene era and when they get there find they're not the first. It's part sci-fi, part fantasy and takes a whole lot from Irish mythology.

First read it about 20 years ago and it's one of those rare series that I g back to and reread every couple of years.
    Oh I read that too many moons ago. Love it. Have you the hardcopy or have you been able to find a softcopy?

Amazon have New paperback versions from £3.67 :) Plus UK postage ::(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Six years" by Harlan Coben, and is disappointingly complicated and evasively sensational. Gives discomfort with too much violence and not enough.... hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

not reading anything at the moment but waiting impatiently for Assassins fate by Robin Hobb due in a months time.At which point I will be disappearing from the face of the earth for 4 or 5 days. :D

I can't wait for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. I've heard nothing but positive reviews of it so decided to give it a go. Just started but so far looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"Peace Kills", America's fun new Imperialism.
    By P J O'Rourke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clive Ponting's World History a new perspective. A fascinating look at the development of society through history.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Talking to serial killers, brilliant book but also sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The Tobacconist by Robert Seethaler, set in Austria around the time of the Anschluss, and following a boy apprenticed to a tobacconist in Vienna. It's very good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm re-reading 'The Thousand Lives of Jacob de Zoet' by David Mitchell, 'cause he's briliant, and I've also just started 'A God in Every Stone' by Kamila Shamsie - she writes so, so well, she's one of my favourite writers!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

hated Cloud Atlas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

hated Cloud Atlas

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Sorry

I like David Mitchell's books but there's something cold about them. The last one I read was the one with the entity that passed from person to person, and sort of reincarnated. I think was set in Tibet.
    I'll never get a job as a book reviewer...

Someone recommended a series called the Alex Versus Universe, has anyone read it? They're by Benedicta Jacka

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I like David Mitchell's books but there's something cold about them. The last one I read was the one with the entity that passed from person to person, and sort of reincarnated. I think was set in Tibet.

Someone recommended a series called the Alex Versus Universe, has anyone read it? They're by Benedicta Jacka

'The Bone Clocks'? Not his best, but it ties into his written universe. His next book, 'Slade House' was enjoyable enough.

Just finishing Simon Sebag Montefiore's The Romanovs 1613-1918. Although it has generally got great reviews it's far too much tittle tattle and Hello!-style for my liking. The emphasis is about 80:20 in favour of the private lives and loves of the family.

I was expecting the book to be about Romanov power, how it expanded, how native Tartars etc were treated, Russian colonialism and so forth. Very disappointed with the emphasis. The chapter on the emergence of Peter the Great was very informative, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ordinary Decent Criminals by Lionel Shriver. I've liked most of her stuff but this is tough-going. Set in the North during the 'Troubles'.

I have the new Claire North lined up for after this so I have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

John Connolly has a new Charlie Parker novel out - A Game of Ghosts. I shall be lashing into this next!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just finished The End of Eddy. I wouldn't bother, I'd say half of it was in his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    John Connolly has a new Charlie Parker novel out - A Game of Ghosts. I shall be lashing into this next!

Just finished it, not one of the better Parker ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Just started reading Defender by G X Todd, has started quite well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Birneybau wrote: »
    'The Bone Clocks'? Not his best, but it ties into his written universe. His next book, 'Slade House' was enjoyable enough.

In fairness, Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten had that 'theme' too, but I loved them too.
    hated Cloud Atlas

:( The book or the film? 'cause, although I loved the book, I haven't been able to watch the film all the way through.

Whatever you do, unless you love gruesome books, don't go near Number9Dream...

New Home wrote: »
    In fairness, Cloud Atlas and Ghostwritten had that 'theme' too, but I loved them too.

:( The book or the film? 'cause, although I loved the book, I haven't been able to watch the film all the way through.

Ghostwritten was the one I recently read. I read Cloud Atlas years ago. I found a scene in Ghostwritten rough enough and hate gruesome books, warning appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd forgotten about any gruesome bits in Number9Dream. I really enjoyed it, read it a couple of times but many years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm re-reading Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon". I read it many many years ago, but remembered very little about it, other than the story dealing with family and race but being occasionally a little surreal, though never in a very obvious way.

I really enjoy it this time around, and while it's not a book where I can really identify with any of the characters, I can "feel along" for them from the outside. The language and flow of the story are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm re-reading Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon". I read it many many years ago, but remembered very little about it, other than the story dealing with family and race but being occasionally a little surreal, though never in a very obvious way.

I really enjoy it this time around, and while it's not a book where I can really identify with any of the characters, I can "feel along" for them from the outside. The language and flow of the story are beautiful.

It's on my re-read list too. I always remember "Macon Dead"!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's on my re-read list too. I always remember "Macon Dead"!

Both of them :D
    I'm actually really fascinated by Pilate this time around. Last time I just found her odd and a bit scary, I never understood the "no navel" thing. Now I can see her growing into herself from scared orphan into this smart and wise strong woman who gets to unsettle others now just by being.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

New Home wrote: »

Never said they didn't? :confused:

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about any gruesome bits in Number9Dream. I really enjoyed it, read it a couple of times but many years ago now.

The bowling scene. Cripes...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement