Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The Three-Year Swim Club by Julie Checkoway. It follows a group of Japanese-American kids in Hawaii in the late 1930s as they train for the Olympics, and how WWII etc. gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Latest Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo, ' The Thirst'. Cracking start, has never written an un-enjoyable book.

One previous was ' The Spinning Heart' by Donal Ryan that I was very impressed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

A Dance With Dragons. Now I'm going to be one of those uppity pricks.

Anno Dracula next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Reading IT by Stephen King
    Listening to Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban audiobook when doing chores, driving and jogging.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    A Dance With Dragons. Now I'm going to be one of those uppity pricks.

Anno Dracula next.

They all die

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My Story by Jack Nicklaus (1997, 505 pages)
    This is my second or third time to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Another Coben that even I can hardly endure. Need to be more choosy at the library methinks. Just a good wholesome story please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Sweet Jesus, just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods! That was a fantastic book. Loved the whole premise of it - any God that had believers come to America becomes flesh and blood, but also poor and destitute as the belief in them fades.

The main character Shadow enlisted by 1 as an assistant plays the perfect role of exploring this world.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Patser wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods! That was a fantastic book. Loved the whole premise of it - any God that had believers come to America becomes flesh and blood, but also poor and destitute as the belief in them fades.

The main character Shadow enlisted by 1 as an assistant plays the perfect role of exploring this world.

Really fantastic book.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett takes a more humourous approach to a similar concept and is well worth reading if you haven't already.

Good Omens, co-written by both Pratchett and Gaiman is also essential reading.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really fantastic book.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett takes a more humourous approach to a similar concept and is well worth reading if you haven't already.

Good Omens, co-written by both Pratchett and Gaiman is also essential reading.

Thanks. Hadn't read a Gaiman novel before this - only some of the Sandman series - so good to know there's more to look out for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thanks. Hadn't read a Gaiman novel before this - only some of the Sandman series - so good to know there's more to look out for.

Anansi Boys is also a really good read, it also involves Gods :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Just about to start this, glad to see the recommend! Only Gaiman I had read before is the Graveyard Book. This one I'd say is a bit more meaty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. I read it years ago and remembered really enjoying it. Enjoying it again now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Laughing In The Hills by Bill Barich
    The trainers, jockeys, characters at racetracks in California, and the highs and lows of their lives, and of the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Conclave by Robert Harris, very different am really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Rereading Terry Pratchetts "Mort". His books just get better with each read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

73Cat wrote: »
    The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. I read it years ago and remembered really enjoying it. Enjoying it again now :)

Bit of an odd book, but good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Conclave by Robert Harris, very different am really enjoying it.

It's pure schlock, but Harris knows how to write a page turner. His Cicero books are great.

Reading Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari.

His last book is about how Sapiens came to be the dominant force on this planet. This one is about where we go from here. Artificial life, the end of humanism, the continued drive for immorality, happiness and the idea that we as a species now strive for our idea of divinity.

It's a wonderful book that asks questions of the reader on every page. It's not highfalutin stuff though - very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Onto another Pratchett, next in his "death series" Reaper Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Finally it's been released and has surpassed my expectations.

Mississippi Blood, Greg Iles.

Just started it love the first 2 of the trilogy so have high hopes for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Book 7 of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series. Really?

Recently turned into a t.v. show, 1st episode was on Sunday/Monday. Available where all good t.v. shows are...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

beans wrote: »
    Book 7 of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series. Really?

What do you mean? I love that series, starting a reread soon just to remind myself of when reading fantasy used to be an amazing experience compared to the dumbed down mush that modern authors release.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm re-reading 'The Solace of Leaving Early' by Haven Kimmel - a touching, poetic book. I'm also reading 'A Gift Horse' by Kate Cruise O'Brien, it's lovely so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Thargor wrote: »
    What do you mean? I love that series, starting a reread soon just to remind myself of when reading fantasy used to be an amazing experience compared to the dumbed down mush that modern authors release.

I loved the first 4 books, but after that... I'm not sure. I'm not sure at all! Nearly finished book 7, I'll pop over to the Dark Tower thread once I'm done :) See what everyone made of the meta-thing that he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

John Connolly's new Charlie Parker book, A game of ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Defence of the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5 (Christopher Andrew)
    https://www.amazon.com/Defence-Realm-Authorized-History-MI5/dp/0141023309/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494227045&sr=8-1&keywords=defence+of+the+realm

Interesting and well written

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Finished The choice by Samantha King. Very good intrigueing read, definitely recommend this book.

Have now started Into the water by Paula Hawkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Thargor wrote: »

It's such a pity but I never got round to finishing it. It was a fascinating series (Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass in particular) which I loved but I fear Stephen King rushed it out after his accident and The Song of Susannah destroyed what up to that point had been my favourite series of books. So sad at the direction he took that I stopped reading and never made it to The Dark Tower. I've often considered a reread though to see if it can be salvaged (and it was a long journey I had invested in it's a shame not to see it through to its end).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The russia house by John Le Carre. Started reading it between christmas and new year and barely over halfway through it. its not a bad book but i just cant get my head into reading alot in one go since i started it. Also have a 500 page book on Trotsky that Ive been peeking at for few years. about 200 pages left to go but its heavy reading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement