Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

neris wrote: »
    The russia house by John Le Carre. Started reading it between christmas and new year and barely over halfway through it. its not a bad book but i just cant get my head into reading alot in one go since i started it. Also have a 500 page book on Trotsky that Ive been peeking at for few years. about 200 pages left to go but its heavy reading.

Try something lighter in this nice weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Explorers of The Nile by Tim Jeal - a good history book on the search for the Niles source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wheel of Time book 5 The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan. Second read, my favourite series by an absolute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ATM I'm reading "A God in Ruins" by Kate Atkinson. I loved "Life after Life" but find this sequel hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I've started reading Bogmail by Patrick McGinley. It's set in Donegal. First published in the late 70's. It was excoriated by the Donegal Democrat but it was high praise from the New York Times and Time Magazine. Looking forward to getting stuck into this book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Bloody Red Baron now by Kim Newman. His writing grates at times but he wrote one of the most epic chapters I've had the joy of reading towards the end of Anno Dracula.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, like a teen-age version of Jane Austen. Very sweet :)

The Alchemist. Is it any good?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Alchemist. Is it any good?

No. But at least it's short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, like a teen-age version of Jane Austen. Very sweet :)

I loved that book :)

I am rereading Once by James Herbert, first read it years ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading 'The Lieutenant' by Kate Grenville, set in the first years of the Australian penal colony.

"God is not great" by Christopher Hitchens.
    Highly recommended to Atheists, Agnostics and doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

The Limits of Glory: A Novel of Waterloo
    by James R. McDonough

A multi-viewpoint novel of the four-day Waterloo campaign in 1815, a bit like Tom Clancy might write it, but staying with the points of view of the upper ranks of all three armies. It's not bad, but Clancy would have done a better job, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Reading 'Skippy Dies' and don't really know what to make of it. Set in a boarding school in Dublin but really it could be anywhere, I don't get a particular sense of Irishness from it and the fact that the author uses American terms like 'mall' or has the kids hang out in a donut shop doesn't really help. I enjoyed the first few chapters but struggling at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Wild Ride by Ann Hagedorn Auerbach
    The rise and tragic fall of Calumet Farm Inc, America's premier racing dynasty

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Reading 'Skippy Dies' and don't really know what to make of it. Set in a boarding school in Dublin but really it could be anywhere, I don't get a particular sense of Irishness from it and the fact that the author uses American terms like 'mall' or has the kids hang out in a donut shop doesn't really help. I enjoyed the first few chapters but struggling at the moment.

Oh Skippy is amazing, stick with it! So many narrative threads and characters to unravel.. Murray really goes places I've not seen other authors go near. He's brilliant. I remember especially the dialogue between the gang of school friends, hilarious. And yet the tone can change on a sixpence. Brilliant book, his debut An Evening of Long Goodbyes is excellent too, but he really stretched his ambition with Skippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Surviving Ireland by Colm Tobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FunLover18 wrote: »

Not worth finishing, seriously. And how he thought he could get away with naming a character Ruprecht. There's only one Ruprecht. "Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not worth finishing, seriously. And how he thought he could get away with naming a character Ruprecht. There's only one Ruprecht. "Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma"

tumblr_m5fy6oG3Gy1qi66kho1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He's one to watch that Milton lad, he'll go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That was a tough one to read

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wheel of Time book 5 The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan. Second read, my favourite series by an absolute mile.

A good series ruined by his bizarre obsession with describing clothes and stout shoes every two seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MMB11

I am pilgrim - terry hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

A good series ruined by his bizarre obsession with describing clothes and stout shoes every two seconds.

I've gotten to a point where I can sort of block out the dress smoothing and braid pulling so that it won't detract from the plot. Works okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I just finished No Safe House, a crime thriller by Linwood Barclay. An enjoyable read. Clipped along at a nice pace and kept the interest levels up all along. The kind of book you'd look forward to picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Anna Karenina, started in January. Am at 72% on Kindle (Its free). Great writing IMHO, but not a lot happening.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The Millers something or other..it's a Poldark novel I bought when I was stuck for something to read. I've never really watched the tv series. It's not the first book in the series which might be why I'm finding it a bit of a slow book to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings
    I have really fond memories of these books; I read them over 30 years ago now and I'd re-read them every couple of years. Have you got to the scene in the Vale of Aldur with the rock? I still laugh at that.

Avoid the sequel series The Malloreon, it lacks any of the charm of The Belgariad and effectively ruins some of the best characters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement