Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

gramar wrote: »
    I just finished No Safe House, a crime thriller by Linwood Barclay. An enjoyable read. Clipped along at a nice pace and kept the interest levels up all along. The kind of book you'd look forward to picking up.

One of my fav authors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I am pilgrim - terry hayes

Worst book I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
    I got it for my daughter last year and she recommended I read it. I like the writing, if not all the characters. It's quite a door-stopper. I'm getting through it at a snail's pace, but I reckon I'll finish it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A man called Ove, by Fredrik Backman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Just finished The 3G Way by Francisco Homem de Mello. Fantastic read for anyone leading functions or teams in a corporate environment. Quick easy read that shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Birneybau wrote: »
    Worst book I've ever read.

I enjoyed it for what it is. Not the best book I ever read, but certainly not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it for what it is. Not the best book I ever read, but certainly not the worst.

I thought it was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Autosport wrote: »
    One of my fav authors :)

The first of his I've read and really enjoyed it. I looked forward to a few chapters every night and look forward to reading more of his.
    I especially liked the Vince Fleming character. Definitely scope for a spin off there although but I think he's figured in at least one previous novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started reading George Orwell's 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Where There's A Will, by Matt Beaumont.

Nearly half way through and so far, it's pretty average at best. Nowhere near as good as his book, e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The History and Arts of the Dominatrix. Fascinating and very well written and presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No Country For Old Men, Cormac McCarthy.

Young people anymore they seem to have a hard time growin up. I don't know why. Maybe it's just that you don't grow up any faster than what you have to.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent

The Year of the Locust, sequel to I am Pilgrim, is out in 11 days
    https://www.amazon.com/Year-Locust-Terry-Hayes-ebook/dp/B00YK763WI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495311924&sr=8-1&keywords=year+of+the+locust

Allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm in the middle of Liz Nugent's Lying In Wait. Have to say I'm not loving it. I really enjoyed Unravelling Oliver and was hoping I'd enjoy this one as much but I just feel the characters are totally overdone in an 'Irish gombeen' kind of way. Some of it is really unrealistic and the twists are predictable too.

I seem to be the only one though as it has had rave reviews everywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm in the middle of Liz Nugent's Lying In Wait. Have to say I'm not loving it. I really enjoyed Unravelling Oliver and was hoping I'd enjoy this one as much but I just feel the characters are totally overdone in an 'Irish gombeen' kind of way. Some of it is really unrealistic and the twists are predictable too.

I've read Unravelling Oliver too and really enjoyed it. I think it's harder to trust reviews and ratings nowadays as so many of them are by people who get free books from NetGalley or other publishers and they nearly always give gushing OTT reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finished The Chosen Child by Graham Masterton. Meh. Wasn't great. He seemed to get confused at times and rushed the story.

Started Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. It's been a long time since I read King book but I'm liking what I've read of this so far. Was very surprised when I realised it was a sequel to The Shining which I consider one of the best horror stories I've read.

1494: How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half - Stephen Bown
    https://www.amazon.com/1494-Family-Medieval-Spain-Divided/dp/0312616120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496132794&sr=8-1&keywords=1494

Very entertaining and readable

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    1494: How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half - Stephen Bown
    https://www.amazon.com/1494-Family-Medieval-Spain-Divided/dp/0312616120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496132794&sr=8-1&keywords=1494

Very entertaining and readable

Sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

"The Crying of The Wind" by Ithell Colquhoun. Ithell Colquhoun was a British surrealist painter and writer. This brilliant little book details her own details and reflections on Ireland after she traveled around the country here in the mid-twentieth century. Fascinating descriptions of our landscape, habits and history. Makes you look at it in a new light yourself. Grand little book, around 200 pages, perfect read if venturing on a short holiday around the country, or like me, just lounging and reading it out the back garden when I should have been cutting the jungle grass.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've changed my mind about the Poldark book. Great fun. I've ordered the following two books in that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading 'The Power' by Naomi Alderman. It's really good so far - tore through half of it on a plane journey back from Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Just started Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. I've been wanting to get around to it for ages now. So far, pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Irish folk & fairytales by Michael Scott. Got this in my teens many moons ago & loved it. Really enjoying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Feast of Crows. By George Martin. Good & quick read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. The third in the Fitz and The Fool Trilogy. It's so good so far and I'm not even half way through. All of the pieces are falling together!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Death's End by Cixin Liu. It's the third book, following The Three Body Problem, and The Dark Forest, and I'm as hooked on it as I was on the other two. Reading them you get the feeling the author really wanted to write a non-fiction account of a potential future, and the characters are just there to bring a bit of colour - which they do splendidly. It's a very enjoyable read, scientific at times, then veering into sociology and psychology, then politics and strategy and tactics. Yet it's always surprising, and oddly optimistic, given the terrifying doomsday scenario at its heart.
    I do hope there'll be more books in this series. Or even better, another and different series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Give A Man A Horse by Dianne Haworth
    The remarkable story of Sir Patrick Hogan
    (owner of Cambridge Stud, new Zealand, and super sires Sir Tristram and Zabeel. His father emigrated from Galway at age 18)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement