Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. The third in the Fitz and The Fool Trilogy. It's so good so far and I'm not even half way through. All of the pieces are falling together!

I'm about halfway through it myself. Probably my favoutite of this trilogy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just starting Conclave by Robert Harris.

Only a few pages in and already hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shenshen wrote: »
    Death's End by Cixin Liu.

You've sold it to me. Finishing up a series at the moment but think I'll order the first one of these for when I'm finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

This is the Ritual by Rob Doyle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Bobby1981

Nothing But An Unfinished Song about Bobby Sands. I have a pain in my heart reading it. This island of ours has such a sad history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Swell by Jenny Landreth, about the history of women's swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just finished Bloodland by Irish author Alan Glynn. A very good Irish based (mostly) conspiracy thriller. Definitely worth checking out along with it's predecessor Winterland.
    I am now on The Road to Rome, the third in a historical fiction trilogy (got into historical fiction after reading Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom, highly recommended) by Irish author Ben Kane. Definitely worth a read, but he over does the whole ending a chapter on a cliff hanger thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb. The third in the Fitz and The Fool Trilogy. It's so good so far and I'm not even half way through. All of the pieces are falling together!
    Aw, excellent! I'm just about to start that trilogy; I prefer to wait until the three of them are out before I start. Can't wait!

I finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood last night. It's been on my to-read list for about ten years and, with the TV adaptation coming out, I figured it was time to get around to it. I found it an addictive read and pretty scary too. The description of the gradual rise of fundamentalist government (initially blamed on Islamic extremists) seems far too close to the bone for comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Last week I read "The Tesios as I knew them" (1979) by Mario Incisa della Rochetta
    I read it twice in two days. It is only 113 pages.
    Federico Tesio (1869-1954) was regarded as the greatest thoroughbred horse breeder ever. Mario Inchesa was his business partner.
    It had one chapter on Tesio's superstitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I'm reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. There is something unsettling but very compelling about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene.

It's a very good book. Funny, thrilling and also a good piss take of spy fiction in general.It has a bit of everything and there are a few genuine laugh out loud moments in it. Wormold is a great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's a very good book. Funny, thrilling and also a good piss take of spy fiction in general.It has a bit of everything and there are a few genuine laugh out loud moments in it. Wormold is a great character.

I had meant to read this previously but never got around to it. I liked The Quiet American, couldn't get into Brighton Rock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I am reading The Music of Chance by Paul Auster and it is up there on my list of top 10 books I have read. I read it about 15 years ago and loved it. I came across a copy in a charity shop and couldn't resist. I enjoyed reading it more this time then the first time. Have never read anything else by Paul Auster but now I can't wait to read more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ipso wrote: »
    I had meant to read this previously but never got around to it. I liked The Quiet American, couldn't get into Brighton Rock though.

The Quiet American is probably my favourite of his.The Heart of The Matter and The Human Factor are excellent as well.

I felt the same about Brighton Rock just didn't really do it for me.It was decent but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

''Revolution'' by Piet Hein Wonke , and two books by James Herbert, ''The ghosts of Sleath'' and ''48''.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Been meaning to get this for ages, thanks for the reminder.

€6.53 used on amazon in postage, it'll be here in time for my holidays. Wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just finished Lynwood Barclay's latest 'Parting shot'. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The Mighty Dead: Why Homer Matters by Adam Nicolson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Recently returned from travelling and forgot to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 busheisha

Yuri Evich 'V okopah Donbassa' / 'In the treches of Donbass'. There is not in English, only in Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Just finished
    Operation Gladio: The Unholy Alliance Between The Vatican, The CIA, and The Mafia - Paul L Williams
    https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Gladio-Alliance-Between-Vatican-ebook/dp/B00MKZ0R4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497952424&sr=8-1&keywords=gladio

Very good. If you thought you knew already what arrogant, double-dealing, scumbaggy mofo's the CIA and US State Dept were before, read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Days Without End by Sebastian Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

gutenberg wrote: »
    Days Without End by Sebastian Barry.

Are you enjoying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I just finished I am Pilgrim and I really enjoyed it.

I'm now on Rebel Sisters by Marita Conlon McKenna - So far so good! Its historical fiction and based on the Gifford sisters duing The Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Just finished
    Operation Gladio: The Unholy Alliance Between The Vatican, The CIA, and The Mafia - Paul L Williams
    https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Gladio-Alliance-Between-Vatican-ebook/dp/B00MKZ0R4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497952424&sr=8-1&keywords=gladio

Very good. If you thought you knew already what arrogant, double-dealing, scumbaggy mofo's the CIA and US State Dept were before, read this.
    Books like this just depress me anymore tbh, feck knows what revelations about todays shenanigans in Wall St and the Middle East we'll be reading about in 20-30 years time, probably a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

The Dead House by Billy O’Callaghan - a Cork writer. Just starting it. I saw him do a reading in Waterstones and it sounded interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Beckhampton
    The men and horses of a great racing stable
    By Paul Mathieu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

diomed wrote: »
    Beckhampton
    The men and horses of a great racing stable
    By Paul Mathieu

Really enjoyed that myself. Don't think you'd be able to achieve that sort of success today with that type of operation. Which is more the pity. Looking to the NH game for the next generation of great stories.

Reading Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart.

It's about a journalist who decided to traverse the Congo river in 2002. Following in the footsteps of Stanley. It's a very balanced and harrowing account of how colonialism, the independence, and the disaster that emerged came about. Great travel writing as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've started reading Inishowen by Joseph O'Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am reading

Story of a Death Foretold: The Coup Against Salvador Allende, September 11, 1973 - by Oscar Guardiola-Rivera (Author)

I thought it would be a good read there is about 300 pages in the book. About the overthrow of Allende in a CIA backed coup and the installment of Pinochet.

It is a bit of a slog already, I am only on page 70 and I had to wade through three chapters of ideological/philosophical waffle about Chile's history.

Not only that it is very hard to read with no nice flow.
    It is not surprising when you find that the author is in the bubble of academia.
    The sleeve styles the author as person who has lectured on all continents.
    His areas of expertise are international law, philosophy and history.

Unfortunately, it reads like high-highfalutin incontinent waffle, and is more then a bit dull.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement