Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

Currently reading Joyce In Court by the late Adrian Hardiman. Cool mix of Joycean analysis, biographies, the legal history of Dublin, and of Joyce's characters.

There's also an interesting, unexpected essay at the back of the book (kinda like a hidden track on a CD) on the trial of Robert Emmet, who's my favourite historical character, so I love it.

Beautifully produced book, also, so I'd recommend it as a gift.
    appledrop wrote: »
    Reading Hillbilly Elegy by J.D Vance. Flying through it. Really interesting book on white poor working class in America.
    That's sitting on my kitchen table, can't wait to start it. Haven't heard a single negative review and it's a fascinating subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Saints if the shadow bible...another Inspector Rebus novel.

Not too far into it....not grabbing me so far, but early days

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline (2011). It's also the basis of an upcoming American science-fiction adventure film co-produced and directed by Steven Spielberg.

Anyone else read it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Tonight I'm starting Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Looking forward to it:)

That is the one Stephen King book that genuinely scared me witless !

I am reading The Survivor by James Herbert. It is good but am having deja vu at some parts, so I think I probably read it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lucifer31 wrote:
    Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline (2011). It's also the basis of an upcoming American science-fiction adventure film co-produced and directed by Steven Spielberg.

Read it when the movie was announced, it's a great premise that's completely wasted imo. I was underwhelmed and there were a LOT of references and Easter eggs I didn't get, which the writing style almost makes you feel about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TabletTease

The hearts invisible furies - John Boyne. Wonderful, and so so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Today, with my giganormous wad of disposable income, I bought "A Job to Love" and "On Being Nice" from The School of Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Children of Men by PD James.

Picked it up as I'd seen the recent film. That film was shot in grey filters, had no smiles and was pretty bleak.

Book is bleaker.

8/10 would be melancholic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Half way through Colson Whitehead 'The Underground Railroad. It's an outstanding book about slavery in America in 1800's through the eyes of one girl who escapes her plantation. It's one of those books that in a way I'm afraid to get to end in case she doesn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Half way through Colson Whitehead 'The Underground Railroad. It's an outstanding book about slavery in America in 1800's through the eyes of one girl who escapes her plantation. It's one of those books that in a way I'm afraid to get to end in case she doesn't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

I finished The Underground Railroad yesterday! After reading the reviews on Goodreads, it seems people either love it or just can't get into it. But I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.
    Just started Middlesex now, and not sure if I'll be able to put up with the slow pace.

I'm tempted by A Little Life, might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I got through "A little life", "The wonder" and "Bring up the bodies" in the last ten days or so. The former an amazing book.

Now on "Swing Time" by Zadie Smith. There is an annoying Madonna like character in it, I was loving it until she arrived.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've just started Skintown by Ciaran McMenamin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

A Little Life. I forgot how excellent that book was. It stayed with me long after I read it. My friend hated it though!

I've just finished a fairly light series of books by Kate Griffin about urban magic set in London. I'm trawling for something else I can get stuck into. Might give Ready Player One a go, even though my entire gaming experience comprises Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Having a trend of reading books that are a) adapted into films/tv and b) depressing ;

A Monster Calls.

Don't care if it's described as young adult, very very good, very raw, no spoonful of sugar here just a real, captivating tale. Illustrations help immensely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage. A popular history well written on Meriwether Lewis, Ben Franklin and the famous Lewis Clarke trek across the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage. A popular history well written on Meriwether Lewis, Ben Franklin and the famous Lewis Clarke trek across the US.
    Just after starting 'Lewis and Clark' by Ralph K Andi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

"The Stand" Stephen King. 30% done ....liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Patser wrote: »
    Children of Men by PD James.

Picked it up as I'd seen the recent film. That film was shot in grey filters, had no smiles and was pretty bleak.

Book is bleaker.

8/10 would be melancholic again.
    appledrop wrote: »

I have both of these for my upcoming holiday. Maybe I should pack some cheerier things alongside them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

eviltwin wrote: »
    A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Excellent read.

I read that a while ago and enjoyed it, too.
    Though I did have the feeling that the author somehow had grown to like her own characters too much - she placed almost all bad, negative, traumatic events in their past, with all that love and money and success thrown at them in the present. It is almost surreal at times.
    Of course, she does keep the tension as her main character in particular never actually really gets to really enjoy all the goodness heaped upon him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

"The Stand" Stephen King. 30% done ....liking it so far.

So another 2,000 pages left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Started reading Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas. I love The Three Musketeers so I have high expectations for this. It hasn't let me down so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Ipso wrote: »
    So another 2,000 pages left.

Kindle version...It says 20 hours left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Patria by Fernando Aramburu.

A Spanish book about the effects of ETA and Basque nationalism on friends and family in a Basque village. It's quite fascinating as there quite a lot of similarities between the situation and that of our own. It's a very well written book but it can be tough going as there are dozens of characters and the story continues with the same character for two or three chapters before changing to a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Cases of a Forensic Anthropologist - William Maples
    https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Men-Tell-Tales-Anthropologist/dp/0385479689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502273383&sr=8-1&keywords=dead+men+do+tell+tales

edit: YAY! 5000 posts !

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Victoria Hislop's The Island recently, set in Crete and a kind of family saga. Good stuff for the flight to Greece for summer holidays!

Now reading Diana Nyad's Find A Way. She's a long-distance/marathon swimmer, with her most famous achievement being to swim from Cuba to Key West in Florida without a shark cage. An interesting read about her life and endurance swimming so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell. It's well written. It's a little on the slow side. So many people called Thomas it gets confusing. I would give it a good 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

To Kill the President, a novel that is eerily similar to current events that are happening right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement