Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Siobhan davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Prestige by Christopher Priest, excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The life of Pi by Yann Martel. Just finished it. It's engaging but not spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Malari wrote: »
    I'll have to ration them out :pac:

So much for rationing...there's a couple of chapters of the next installment (actually two next instalments?! Must check reading order...) so now I want to get stuck into the next one straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The Broker by John Grisham. It's fine like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Glyn Williams Voyages of Delusion - The search for the north west passage. Another good popular history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Red Plenty by Francis Spufford.

It's a series of interlinked short stories about people involved at all levels of the planned economy in the Soviet Union of the 60's; the well meaning bureaucrat, factory manager, guy trying to make a buck on the side, frustrated scientist.

It's a quirky book, but very well written, and often quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Just finished 4321 by Paul Auster (Booker long list nominee). Don't know how I got through it, is about 600 pages too long.

Read "The Shipping News" over the weekend. Lovely. Set in Newfoundland. Never realised how strong the Irish connection was. People eating spuds and wearing geansais and holding wakes.

Now on Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking for a break. Have also been half reading "The Glorious Heresies" for a while. I like her writing but the subject matter terribly grim.

Bought a few Elizabeth Strout books for 99p on Amazon last week so looking forward to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Reading Ernest cline second novel "armada"

Should of called it ready player one.five

All too familiar and not as good as ready player one so far.

bobbyss wrote:
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell. It's well written. It's a little on the slow side. So many people called Thomas it gets confusing. I would give it a good 7/10.

All the bloody Thomases. Half the characters in the book are called Thomas, it's headwrecking. Love it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Fathomless by Greig Beck. It's about a giant Megaladon that ah....causes problems.....sounds familiar right?

I like Beck's other novels with the Arcadian, total pulp, my go to non serious, guilty pleasure crap novel after a serious post apoc or autobiog...but this is really really bad. I did read Meg, I actually read the first 3 novels, they were meh enough, again in the guilty pleasure vein, but this is really bad. Like REALLY bad. I'm still going to finish it but by Jesus it better finish quick......then on to either John Kavanagh's Win or Learn or The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Read "The Shipping News" over the weekend. Lovely. Set in Newfoundland. Never realised how strong the Irish connection was. People eating spuds and wearing geansais and holding wakes.

If you liked that book about Newfoundland you should read Wayne Johnston's books - my favourite ones are "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" and "The Custodian of Paradise". Another book with some of the same characters is due out soon, it's called "First Snow, Last Light", I can't wait to get it.

Prepared to be frozen to the bone by the descriptions of the snow and the ice, and beware, seal hunting occupies quite a few pages :(, but the books are excellent and there's a lot on Newfoundland's history.

As for what I'm reading now, I'm still re-reading the exceptional "The Solace of Leaving Early" by Haven Kimmel, and I've just started "The Collected Short Stories of Saki" - very funny so far.

I've also recently finished re-reading "The Homesick Garden" by Kate Cruise O'Brien - very very good , and "The Other Boleyn Girl", which I found passable at best.

New Home wrote:
    If you liked that book about Newfoundland you should read Wayne Johnston's books - my favourite ones are "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" and "The Custodian of Paradise". Another book with some of the same characters is due out soon, it's called "First Snow, Last Light", I can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam. Set in afghanistan in the 00s, good so far. This is the second book by an Afghan author set around that time that I've read recently. I have to say it's really made me want to visit that part of the world, it's a shame those countries are so war torn because in some ways they sound amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Reading Run by Anne Patchet. A story about a birth mother who devotes a life to following the children she's adopted away in her teens and what happens when their lives unexpectedly collide.
    Very enjoyable read.

Listening to How Not to be a Boy by Robert Webb on audiobook. It's excellent. It's an exploration of how gender stereotypes, domestic violence and parental influences can hamper through the lens of an autobiographical tale. It's very well narrated, funny, personal, warm and well observed. One of those audiobooks that will keep you awake and engaged, good for driving rather than lulling you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've just finished this
    NATO's Secret Armies: Operation GLADIO and Terrorism in Western Europe (Contemporary Security Studies) - Daniele Ganser
    https://www.amazon.com/NATOs-Secret-Armies-Operation-Contemporary/dp/0714685003/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504849225&sr=8-2&keywords=operation+gladio
    This fascinating new study shows how the CIA and the British secret service, in collaboration with the military alliance NATO and European military secret services, set up a network of clandestine anti-communist armies in Western Europe after World War II.

These secret soldiers were trained on remote islands in the Mediterranean and in unorthodox warfare centres in England and in the United States by the Green Berets and SAS Special Forces. The network was armed with explosives, machine guns and high-tech communication equipment hidden in underground bunkers and secret arms caches in forests and mountain meadows. In some countries the secret army linked up with right-wing terrorist who in a secret war engaged in political manipulation, harrassement of left wing parties, massacres, coup d'états and torture.

Codenamed 'Gladio' ('the sword'), the Italian secret army was exposed in 1990 by Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti to the Italian Senate, whereupon the press spoke of "The best kept, and most damaging, political-military secret since World War II" (Observer, 18. November 1990) and observed that "The story seems straight from the pages of a political thriller." (The Times, November 19, 1990). Ever since, so-called 'stay-behind' armies of NATO have also been discovered in France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Austria, Greece and Turkey. They were internationally coordinated by the Pentagon and NATO and had their last known meeting in the NATO-linked Allied Clandestine Committee (ACC) in Brussels in October 1990.

Most interesting; I'd recommend it to anyone with a bit of an interest in not-ancient-no-recent political history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Now reading "Darkness, Take My Hand" by Denis Lehane. He's a brilliant author, I've yet to be disappointed by his books. This one is a real page turner. I've been reading constantly more or less for the past 2 days. Love the characters of Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. Highly recommend this. He was a writer on The Wire for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Finished Catch 22 on holidays, hated the first half of it and the "slapstick" nature of the dialogue, found it a real slog. Really enjoyed the second half or at leasing closing part of the book.

You have to read through the first half to enjoy the second. Wish there was a term for that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

razorblunt wrote: »
    Finished Catch 22 on holidays, hated the first half of it and the "slapstick" nature of the dialogue, found it a real slog. Really enjoyed the second half or at leasing closing part of the book.

You have to read through the first half to enjoy the second. Wish there was a term for that ...
    Marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Currently about three quarters way of Chris Jericho's book A Lion's Tale. His first of three autobiographies he's done and I find it brilliant. A real insight into what the wrestling business was like in the late 80's and 90's and Chris tells it honestly and hilariously. It's a great and easy read and even if you're not a wrestling fan, you will certainly enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The_Mac wrote: »
    Currently about three quarters way of Chris Jericho's book A Lion's Tale. His first of three autobiographies he's done and I find it brilliant. A real insight into what the wrestling business was like in the late 80's and 90's and Chris tells it honestly and hilariously. It's a great and easy read and even if you're not a wrestling fan, you will certainly enjoy it.

Cool, I might give it a go. I heard its one of the best wrestling autobiographies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

"That's Your Lot" by Limmy

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Ciara's Diary, by Ciara King. Based off the radio segment on the Chris and Ciara show. It's good, but less so when it's not Ciara reading it out - she says 'like' way too much, which I never noticed when she was reading the entries on the show, but it's very obvious in text. Still, fun read. Enjoying reading the full story rather than the random context-less entry on the show.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm not really sure what happened, but I enjoyed it anyway :p.

Starting The Grapes of Wrath, which I've seen recommended on boards a fair few times.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Dipping in and out of Hugh Thomas's The Slave Trade, a history of the Atlantic slave trade from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century.

Also dipping in and out of Lindy West's Shrill (the individual essays are perfect length to read before bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Reading 'It' before I go to see it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Just finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm not really sure what happened, but I enjoyed it anyway :p.

Starting The Grapes of Wrath, which I've seen recommended on boards a fair few times.

Recently read Kafka On The Shore too and it can be a bit of a puzzle but I liked it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Caliden wrote: »
    Reading 'It' before I go to see it in the cinema.

Me too. Brings me back, first time reading it in about 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The city of lies Micheal Russell its a thriller serious set in and around Dublin in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The premise is interesting he is half German half Irish and is in the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Bones of Avignon, a Da Vinci Code type adventure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement