Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Just finished oh my God what a complete Aisling.. its a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. Thoroughly enjoying it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Only 200 pages into The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne and I'm floored. Just so brilliant. It's like walking around Dublin in the 40s and he's captured the voices of his characters so perfectly. Can't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Reading Black & Blue

One of the Rebus novels by Ian McCain.

God I need to branch out, if it's not Lee Child or John Connolly it's Ian McCain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Rape of Nanking.

Humans can be such cruel bastatrds towards each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

NOTHING...... can anyone recommend a good murder mystery thriller that's a page turner but not too gruesome I don't enjoy reading about torture etc .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

NOTHING...... can anyone recommend a good murder mystery thriller that's a page turner but not too gruesome I don't enjoy reading about torture etc .thanks

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. The first Jackson Brodie book.

8mv wrote: »
    ...By way of contrast, I've started Conclave by Robert Harris. Always a quick read and usually good.

Mmm, a quick read alright, but not as good as I would have expected from Robert Harris. Some good insights into the procedure of papal elections, but the story wasn't great. It was pretty clear early on what was going to happen.

Just started "he" by John Connolly. I gave up on the Charlie Parker books a little while ago, but this has started well. The story of Stan Laurel as told from his own POV. A departure in style for John, I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

To Kill The President. Very topical given current events, good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

8mv wrote: »
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. The first Jackson Brodie book.

I looked this up and it sounds good to me . thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished 'The Snowman' by Jo Nesbo. It was good enough but I'm not really into these crime thriller type books.
    I've just started 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'. I have no idea what to expect really but I like the sound of it and the creepy pictures scattered throughout the book, so we'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished 'The Snowman' by Jo Nesbo. It was good enough but I'm not really into these crime thriller type books.
    I've just started 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'. I have no idea what to expect really but I like the sound of it and the creepy pictures scattered throughout the book, so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Just finished "Mothers and Sons" by Colm Toibin. It's a collection of short stories. It's a great read and he's an excellent writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

"From Third World to First" by Lee Kuan Yew. It's about his time as the leader of Singapore and is a great insight into the mind of, for my money, the greatest political leader in history. He really explains his long term vision very well and how that drove the decisions he took.

I can't say I agree with everything he did and how he did it but he was a brilliant man who created a fantastic city state and the book helps you understand how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bout two thirds of the way through Dracula. Fantastic book so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Bout two thirds of the way through Dracula. Fantastic book so far.

I don't read much fiction but I couldn't put Dracula down. An exceptional book.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula le Guin. A sci-fi classic, by all accounts but I find it dull and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Just finished Pet Sematary. The film didn't do it justice at all, thought it was a solid book, well written, I liked the way the
    wendigo drew people in and louis decent into madness over time was well done

Probably go onto the shining next or salems lot.

I looked this up and it sounds good to me . thanks for that

Hope you enjoy it. Kate Atkinson is probably my favourite author. Outside of the Brodie books, her family dramas are fantastic - especially "Life After Life", a book I've read twice so far and I'm sure I'll return to it again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

Just finished Cruel To Be Kind by Cathy Glass excellent read , shes a foster carer writing about some of the children she cares for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

A great new author ive discovered is Patricia Gibney she wrote The Missing Ones a murder mystery based in Athlone i couldnt put it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I'm a big Jo Nesbo fan. His later books in this series went a bit far fetched but tge earlier ones are excellent if you like crime fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am reading a big pile of pooh but want to know how it plays out so am persevering. It's called "The Last Diva" by Lee Connor.

A supernatural thriller but really badly written and edited. Ugh. Still better than some other book I attempted to read. When an "author" uses "she hitched her breath" or "her breath hitched" more than once , I am out. Yer wan who wrote 50 shades did that too. Makes me want to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Now speed reading through "The Gathering", by Anne Enright. A very tedious book, dislikable self pitying narrator and a rambling story that's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

'Don't Close Your Eyes' by Holly Seddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

'The Heart Goes Last' - Margaret Atwood. Handmaid's Tale was previously the only novel of hers that I'd read so the tv show piqued my interest again & got this from the library. Really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Caliden wrote: »
    Reading 'It' before I go to see it in the cinema.

I'm on this too, made the mistake of buying the paperback to read on holidays, 275 pages fell out due to the glue melting. It's straight in the bin once finished due to it's current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Saw a few people in this thread looking for mystery novels on the less gruesome side. I loved Sherlock Holmes - The House of Silk, not by Doyle but Horowitz does a great job and I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Saw a few people in this thread looking for mystery novels on the less gruesome side. I loved Sherlock Holmes - The House of Silk, not by Doyle but Horowitz does a great job and I loved it.

Try David Peace's Red Riding series. Corruption, prostitution, paedo rings and the Yorkshire Ripper.
    He won't be getting any tourism awards from Yorkshire!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement