Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Birneybau wrote: »
    Also reading '2023-A Trilogy' by the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu (the KLF), not bad at all, bit mad.

If it's anything like Bill Drummond's Bad Wisdom, it's completely nuts but very enjoyable..

His 45 is one of the great music books for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I'm reading at the moment Margaret Atwood: Stone Mattress - nine wicked tales.

It's a short story collection about ageing and the people we'd like to kill, but don't, but happens anyway in some sort or other. Including death by living or loving.

I'm not into short stories usually, but this collection shows Margaret Atwood at her most sarcastic, humourous and compassionate, including all the muddled feelings one accumulates during a lifetime.

She ist one of the top three candidates for the Nobel Price for literature this year. I truly wish she gets it. I'm amazed she didn't get it earlier. That woman is just talented and literate storyteller incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Maria by Jorge Isaacs. It's considered to the first great work of literature from Colombia and one of the first from Latin America. I visited the author's childhood home a few years ago. It's located in a valley near Cali, amidst an absolutely stunning landscape. I only knew who he was because I had seen his face on the 50'000 peso note but I'm finally reading his book.

I've been making a big effort to read in Spanish lately, it helps me improve my level in the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Carry wrote: »
    I'm reading at the moment Margaret Atwood: Stone Mattress - nine wicked tales.

It's a short story collection about ageing and the people we'd like to kill, but don't, but happens anyway in some sort or other. Including death by living or loving.

I'm not into short stories usually, but this collection shows Margaret Atwood at her most sarcastic, humourous and compassionate, including all the muddled feelings one accumulates during a lifetime.

She ist one of the top three candidates for the Nobel Price for literature this year. I truly wish she gets it. I'm amazed she didn't get it earlier. That woman is just talented and literate storyteller incarnate.

Am very conflicted about her after the Steven Galloway stuff in Canada...

https://jezebel.com/margaret-atwood-others-draw-criticism-for-signing-a-l-1789094038

also Twitter #UBCaccountable

I have a good writer friend living there who knows the prof in question and some of the people who spoke out about the alleged abuse & is fairly insistent that he is a creep....she's really disillusioned with Atwood's response & now it's often popping into my head too when reading her or watching her stuff. Probably unfair as who knows what the real truth is but I trust my friend's judgment. Having said all that I absolutely love Margaret Atwood's writing so it wont stop me enjoying her output.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I just started reading Origin, the latest Robert Langdon adventure by Dan Brown. It's quite good so far.

• Advertisement

Maestra by L.S Hilton

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

re reading this at the moment... excellent book

51Y%2B4kHphTL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I just finished Origin. It was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

branie2 wrote: »
    I just finished Origin. It was very good.

I'm ten chapters in (about six pages lol)

Definitely an improvement on the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just finished the first of the Miss Seeton books by Heron Carvic....not amazing but a bit of a chuckle.

I finished 'Scuse me while I kill this guy by Leslie Langtry the other day and I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Just finished Camino Island by John Grisham, had the base of a good story but the ending fizzled out way to easy and fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm working a lot of hours so I don't have the brain capacity for a hard read. I've just finished the new Q.I fact book "1,423 Facts To Bowl You Over". I've moved on to "1,339 QI Facts To Make Your Jaw Drop".

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker. Not my usual genre. It's one weird as hell book.

gifted wrote: »
    Just finished Camino Island by John Grisham, had the base of a good story but the ending fizzled out way to easy and fast...
    This was next on my list, I'm wondering now will I bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

shoegal1 wrote: »
    This was next on my list, I'm wondering now will I bother.

Still a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Reading EXIT GHOST by Philip Roth - some of the passages describing the sentiment in US around the GW BUSH/KERRY election seem so naive now when you consider who's in the White House now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Reading 'A Doctor's Sword' by Bob Jackson

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Doctor-apos-s-Sword-by-Bob-Jackson-/332400873066

A true story, well written and well researched.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mick Costello

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer,for about the 100th time

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

11/22/63 by Stephen King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never heard of it, Wiki says its one of the top 100 bestselling books of all time, selling as much or more than the likes of To Kill a Mocking Bird and Gone With the Wind, sounds intriguing, thanks, I have a copy on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Its been a long time since I read it. Must read it again, thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I loved Jeffrey Archer books as a teen. Kane and Abel was my first. Its a gateway book. Don't read it.

Ipso wrote: »
    11/22/63 by Stephen King.

I read that a few months ago, loved it. Hope you are enjoying it.

I'm currently in the midst of my first reading of The Dark Tower series. I'm about 20% into book 4, Wizard and Glass.

I'm really enjoying the story of Roland and his journey to the Tower. Book 3, The Waste Lands, was definitely my favourite so far.

It's been a very Stephen King year for me, having barely read a book of his in 30+ years of my life beforehand.

Loooove that book. Re-reading it a few yrs ago and I realised, OMG Jeffrey Archer wrote this! Have read all his books now. Great author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I read that a few months ago, loved it. Hope you are enjoying it.

I'm currently in the midst of my first reading of The Dark Tower series. I'm about 20% into book 4, Wizard and Glass.

I'm really enjoying the story of Roland and his journey to the Tower. Book 3, The Waste Lands, was definitely my favourite so far.

It's been a very Stephen King year for me, having barely read a book of his in 30+ years of my life beforehand.

Really liking it, on the last 100 pages now. I couldn't get into book 3 of the Dark Tower series, but I must give it a shot again.
    After this I might continue with Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, also thinking of trying some Clive Barker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Ipso wrote: »
    Really liking it, on the last 100 pages now. I couldn't get into book 3 of the Dark Tower series, but I must give it a shot again.
    After this I might continue with Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, also thinking of trying some Clive Barker.

I can highly recommend Clive Barker's Weaveworld, it was the first of his that I read. Any of his books I have read are brilliant :)

At the moment I am reading One Bad Turn by Sineád Crowley and enjoying it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Invention of Nature (The adventures of Alexander Von Humboldt the lost hero of science) by Andrea Wulf. A fascinating story of a brilliant traveller and scientist mostly now forgotten but a worldwide celebrity in his day.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Has anyone read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman?

I read the first one recently was wasn't really blown away by it. Are they worth sticking with or if I'm not bothered with the first one am I wasting my time?

I know they're young adult books :) that doens't bother me in itself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Has anyone read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman?

I read the first one recently was wasn't really blown away by it. Are they worth sticking with or if I'm not bothered with the first one am I wasting my time?

I know they're young adult books :) that doens't bother me in itself.

I love them! I think the character development of Lyra is excellent.

He's written another series recently, as a companion trilogy, so I'm really looking forward to getting into that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement