Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Couldn't get into Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, I'll try returning to it in time.

Just started 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster. It's a huge book, but it's proving readable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just started "He" by John Connolly, a kind of fictional imagining of the life of Stan Laurel. Couldn't be further from his Charlie Parker novels but first impressions are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

73Cat wrote: »
    I can highly recommend Clive Barker's Weaveworld
    A great read and a brilliantly weird book....must read it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Malari wrote: »
    I love them! I think the character development of Lyra is excellent.

He's written another series recently, as a companion trilogy, so I'm really looking forward to getting into that.

I completely agree, they're brilliant books! In the first one seems to be written for someone of Lyra's age and therefore has a more childish language and "outlook", but you can really feel her growing up as the books continue. I do think they were groundbreaking when they first were published.

The following two "spin-offs", Lyra's Oxford and the other with the navy cover (whose title escape me at the moment) were good but not as "unputdownable" as the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started reading The Hobbit. I've decided to go over Tolkiens stuff again. I read The Hobbit about 16 years ago, and then the Lord of the Rings after that. I also read The Silmarillion about 5 years ago. But now I want to over all those books again. I've also got Unfinished Tales so i'll give that a read too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Could only ever read LoTR. All his other books I found a chore to read.

Trying something new myself. The First World War by John Keegan. I'm not normally a fan of nonfiction but playing BF1 there and I'm in the mood for a bit of history/learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

I am reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. He is so inspirational. I absolutely love his writing! His anecdotes make imminently good sense. Now when I am struggling to code in work, I just think 9,999 hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

GLaDOS wrote:
    Has anyone read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman?

Rereading it atm as prep for the new books and the BBC adaptation. Enjoyed the first two but am really struggling through the third. I find the anti-religion stuff is a bit too direct and heavy (especially for YA) and I'm not religious myself in any way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I see what you mean, but if you keep thinking "fiction/parallel dimension" as you read it, it feels less "in your face", at least that's how it worked for me.

Also, I really want to say that the film "The Golden Compass" was one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen, I found it abysmally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Reading "Men without Women" by Murakami Huruki. Good so far. It's a collection of short stories which I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

New Home wrote:
    I see what you mean, but if you keep thinking "fiction/parallel dimension" as you read it, it feels less "in your face", at least that's how it worked for me.

I think what I'm not enjoying about the third book is that the first two had elements that gave the sense that there was a world around these characters I could believe in, the gypsies, the town of oxford and the scholars whereas in the third book the main characters are the main focus and there's little to interaction with anything outside the main thrust of the plot.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just started "He" by John Connolly, a kind of fictional imagining of the life of Stan Laurel. Couldn't be further from his Charlie Parker novels but first impressions are good.
    I finished it last week. I bought it because in intrigued me to see John Connolly make such a departure. I gave up on the Charlie Parker books a little while back but I was interested to see what Connolly would do with this subject matter. I loved it - the short chapters were off-putting at first (203 chapters in 449 pages!) but that format worked well. I have to say I shed a tear in chapter 182 - a beautiful piece of writing and a complete change from the brutality of the CP novels.

I just started "Fellside" by M.R.Carey. He wrote "The Girl With All The Gifts" which I liked a lot. This one has started off well...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading La Belle Sauvage, the new Philip Pullman book as part of his new Book of Dust series (prequels to His Dark Materials). Loving it so far. I adored His Dark Materials as a child and couldn't wait to read this one!

Has anybody read Frankie Boyle's new book? I think that it is a compilation of his essays from the Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Gone Tomorrow, a Jack Reacher novel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I just finished "The Accordionist" by Fred Vargas (it's a female writer btw).

I've read almost everything from her, she is a unique French writer who gives crime novels a whole new twist.

Her characters are all quirky, like that gumshoe who is actually a translator (from German to French! And about Bismarck!) and has a pet toad called Bufo that always has a sedate but important part. Or his friends who are all bonkers academics but help to solve the crime with goofy eagerness, lovable stupidity and esoteric ideas.

Her style is droll and quirky and depicts a Paris which doesn't exists as such. But who cares.

It's a joy to read, intelligent and at the same time in a "who gives a shìt" way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Colsin91 wrote: »
    I am reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. He is so inspirational. I absolutely love his writing! His anecdotes make imminently good sense. Now when I am struggling to code in work, I just think 9,999 hours to go.

Interesting I recently started listening to his podcast 'revisionist history'.
    I have never read any of his books.
    But I find myself thinking after I have listened to one of his podcast that he tells a great story whether I agree with him or not!

He very definitely leans a certain way politically though! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Michael Crichton Lost World, Love it so far, finished Jurassic Park last Monday and loved that too, they left soooo much out of the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Just finished The Boy with the Perpetual Nervousness about a boy abused in 70s in the UK. Very good read and a repeat of the Irish stories.
    Also reading Anne Enright's The forgotten Waltz and finding it hard to appreciate it.
    All courtesy of Pembroke Library, great place and great books.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Dunno if anyone’s read it but the hearts invisible furies was the best book I’ve read in years by John boyne (also wrote boy in the striped pyjamas)

It’s being made into a series and Ridley Scott is directing.

Brilliant news. Can’t recommend this book enough give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Brideshead revisited , really enjoying it and looking forward to the 1980’s miniseries which is supposed to be excellent .

Interesting I recently started listening to his podcast 'revisionist history'.
    I have never read any of his books.
    But I find myself thinking after I have listened to one of his podcast that he tells a great story whether I agree with him or not!

He very definitely leans a certain way politically though! :D

I find his writing more powerful than his podcasts. Outliers was his most convincing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

John Grisham
    Anybody on here read similar to his style/stories as Ive read most of his stuff. All except one I found were great reads/stories although some felt like variations on a theme.
    I'm looking for a similar 'easy to read' author.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

1633 by Eric Flint & David Weber

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭donegal_man

PMBC wrote: »
    John Grisham
    Anybody on here read similar to his style/stories as Ive read most of his stuff. All except one I found were great reads/stories although some felt like variations on a theme.

Have you read any of Scott Turow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

John Grisham

A while since I read any JG, but you might give Daniel Silva a try

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. I'm only 23 pages in but am hooked, I predict it will be a good one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

John Grisham

Ian Rankin's 'Rebus' series

• Advertisement

I'm having a good run. I just finished The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. It's very spooky and excellent. I've started In The Forest by Tana French. There's something about the writing that I'm not sure about but will give it a shot.

I am contemplating The Exorcist by William Blatty but I may be all horrored out :)

One of the best books I've read this year has been The Loney. It's about two boys who spend some time in a remote part of Northern England. Its one of the most unique books I've read in a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement