Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Reading " Devil's Bargain " about Steve Bannon and Trump , also "3 minutes to impact " about the BA crash in Heathrow some years ago. Both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm having a good run. I just finished The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. It's very spooky and excellent. I've started In The Forest by Tana French. There's something about the writing that I'm not sure about but will give it a shot.

I am contemplating The Exorcist by William Blatty but I may be all horrored out :)

One of the best books I've read this year has been The Loney. It's about two boys who spend some time in a remote part of Northern England. Its one of the most unique books I've read in a long time.

I read all her books and I know what you mean, to me it seems like "over characterisation" and almost like creating drama where there is none.
    Also some of it seems like it was written in the hope of a tv show in mind.

Ipso wrote: »
    I read all her books and I know what you mean, to me it seems like "over characterisation" and almost like creating drama where there is none.
    Also some of it seems like it was written in the hope of a tv show in mind.

I've just been introduced to the detective and already am rolling my eyes at how he is being described and also the female detectives rise through the ranks. I might go with The Exorcist after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.

Wow so creepy and addictive, now I'm really looking forward to the films release in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Norwegian wood coping, stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way by lars matting. And I've picked up a few tips and tricks and would recommend it to anyone cutting up their own wood this winter.

I kid you not.

41WC6Cs2LtL._SY400_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

73Cat wrote:
    Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. I'm only 23 pages in but am hooked, I predict it will be a good one

I'm having a good run. I just finished The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.

These are the last two books I read. I'd read King's shopping list if he published it but I'm not blind to his shortcomings andI was afraid Sleeping Beauties was going to be another Under the Dome with the feral menfolks but he restrained himself, or perhaps Owen did. I enjoyed it. Nowhere near his best, but definitely good for a week's worth of distraction.

The Woman in Black is a lesson in Gothic spookiness, despite having been written in the 80s. A lovely, atmospheric read. I (inadvertently) saw the TV film when I was about 8 and it scared the living fcuking daylights out of me. I think I took a lot of that into the book with me.

I started Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust today. I love Malcolm already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Anyone interested, Joe Hill (son of Stephen King) is doing a q&a and signing in Easons, O'Connell Street., Dublin Thurs 9th November (next Thursday). Tickets free, I'll post a link when I get to laptop.

Le link:

https://ti.to/eason/dept51-presents-joe-hill-in-conversation-with-deirdre-sullivan

This is the kind of writing that grates on me
    "Few people would have considered her beautiful, but my tastes have always leaned towards bespoke rather than brand-name"

Or

"I wanted to dry her gently with a big fluffy towel in front of a roaring fire".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I am contemplating The Exorcist by William Blatty but I may be all horrored out :)
    Go ahead, it's an excellent book.

Currently reading, The Handmaid's Tale.
    Praise be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Finished reading the first Hunger Games book yesterday (which was very good once you properly get into it) and started reading Squirting Milk at Chameleons: An Accidental African last night. It seems interesting so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Reality Is Not What It Seems Carlo Rovelli. Its a very good book. He simplifies the physics a lot but some of the concepts are still difficult to grasp, its a thinking about book.

The Girl Before by JP Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. I'd read a lot of mixed reviews but I'm really enjoying it. It's an interesting character study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Cornflakes for Dinner -Aidan Comerford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

eviltwin wrote: »
    Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. I'd read a lot of mixed reviews but I'm really enjoying it. It's an interesting character study.

I read that about 2 years ago and thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

One from times past - 'To kill a mockingbird' absolutely great read, funny, sad and thought provoking. I can see now why it became so famous and well liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

The KLF. Chaos Magic and The Band Who Burned A Million Pounds.

John Higgs biography of the electronic pop music outfit from the late 80's early 90's. This was really brilliant, more of a tale concerning cultural ideas, stories and how we all try to tell them, not just what the KLF were all about. Gives a great account of the early nineties and it's cultural significance up to now so this is a good recommendation to anyone who grew up around that time or has an interest in that part of history. Grand short book, would make a great little Christmas present to that sort of folk, not just fans of The KLF

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Anyone given this a go - this year's is fiendish!

http://caboodle.nationalbooktokens.com/hiddenbooks/?competition

buried wrote: »
    The KLF. Chaos Magic and The Band Who Burned A Million Pounds.

Thanks a mill, I know someone who'd love this!

I finished The Book of Dust the other day. It was enjoyable, not as good as His Dark Materials, though, imo. Now commences the interminable wait for the next volume.

Currently re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, then after that it'll be Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

mariaalice wrote: »
    Reality Is Not What It Seems Carlo Rovelli. Its a very good book. He simplifies the physics a lot but some of the concepts are still difficult to grasp, its a thinking about book.

It's on my bedside pile, really looking forward to it :)

As much as I enjoy (and need) my "away with the fairies" thrillers, but a "thinking about" book in between is a must to keep life in perspective.

I enjoyed "Astrophysics for people in a hurry" a lot, though sometimes the author was a little bit too flippant and simplicistic for my taste. But then, it was for people in a hurry after all ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

optogirl wrote: »
    Anyone given this a go - this year's is fiendish!

http://caboodle.nationalbooktokens.com/hiddenbooks/?competition
    Ive had a book or two on the go non-stop for the last 20 years and I completely failed at that, is there a solution anywhere?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reading Arabian Nights (aka 1001 Nights). Very easy to read and very enjoyable so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Daemon Voices by Philip Pullman. It's a collection of essays on the art of storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Flying through IT by Stephen King now that I have a commute. Was finding it hard to dedicate time before that even though I bought it in September.
    Hadn't read a classic King book in years, really enjoying it.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

I enjoyed it very much, though it took some pages until I got into the plot. The final twist is stunning.

I'm reading at the moment John Boyne's The Heart's Invisible Furies.

It's so far absolutely fascinating, a story that spans Irish history from 1945 to 2015, told by a man who was adopted and is looking for his identity (and his sexual orientation).

It's furious about the clergy, starting with a priest who literally kicks a 16 year old girl out of the church and the village after shaming her for being pregnant and unmarried and going on with the very quirky upbringung in a posh household of her child, the narrator, and his time in a church run school with godawful priest teachers.

It's incredibly funny at times, no "poor me" story at all, but it gives an insight in a society of old in a way that is novel at least to me.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Hawksmoor - Peter Ackroyd

Dark occultish crime thriller from 1985. Brilliantly alternates between two timelines, one in the 18th century when a master builder 'Nicholas Dyer' designs and builds 7 London churches that hold energies of darkness, then to the 1980's, where a London detective 'Nicholas Hawksmoor' investigates a series of murders at the scene of these churches. This is Dark Dark stuff but really entertaining, fans of Stephen King and David Fincher serial killer/crime films would be well into this. Was initially put off by Ackroyd's usage of 18th century prose and speech for Dyers timeline but the more I read it, the more real and visceral the language and prose felt compared to the 1980's timeline. Highly highly recommended.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Stoner by John Williams.

Ragdoll by Daniel Cole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

From a Clear Blue Sky by Timothy Knacthbull and also Three Weeks in October by Charles Moose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement