Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Turned back the clock twenty plus years and reading Frederick Forsyth's 'The Odessa File' and can hardly put it down, reading almost 200 pages yesterday.

Fantastic stuff. I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a very long time.

Ah, I remember it well, I was hooked, brilliant read. Should pick it up again.

Apropos going back in time: I'm reading atm A Legacy of Spies, the latest novel by John le Carré.
    If you can still remember 'The spy who came in from the cold' and are a fan of George Smiley you're going to enjoy this one.

It's about the British spy business in modern times when the young lawyers run the business and take one of Smileys people to account about the wrongs they supposedly did in the fifties. It's part flashback what really happened in Cold War Berlin (or did it?) and part dealing with the fallout in modern times. Brilliantly composed, elegantly written and utterly gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Nostradamus Prophecies - a thriller about the search for lost verses that Nostradamus wrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

bnt wrote: »
    Turning back the clock about 40 years, I just started Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. The death of the latter a couple of months ago reminded me that I'd read very little of his work. Lucifer's Hammer was nominated for a Hugo Award aan is probably the book that did the most to kickstart the comet-hitting-the-Earth genre. The justifiably-forgotten movie Meteor, starring Sean Connery, came out about 2 years later. I've only just started, but it's using a structure I've seen from these authors before: the need to explain things to the scientifically-illiterate media of the story conveniently justifies chunks of exposition. :P

Slightly on the theme of something hurtling toward earth, I would recommend Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Carry wrote: »
    Ah, I remember it well, I was hooked, brilliant read. Should pick it up again.

Apropos going back in time: I'm reading atm A Legacy of Spies, the latest novel by John le Carr
    If you can still remember 'The spy who came in from the cold' and are a fan of George Smiley you're going to enjoy this one..

Ah, thanks. Something to consider.

I've left the last few pages for this evening and have nothing as a follow up.. I dread finishing a brilliant novel.. I'm delighted I've revisited Forsyth after so many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If you ever want to assassinate someone, The Day of the Jackal could help you plan it.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    If you ever want to assassinate someone, The Day of the Jackal could help you plan it.

I loved it, must have read it three or four times. And tbh, I'm tempted to go again :D

I just finished Tana French' In The Woods. The ending was disappointing because I had the culprit pegged early on. I kept reading hoping I was wrong.

Next up is Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Choice by Edith Eger. I cannot praise this book enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I just finished Tana French' In The Woods. The ending was disappointing because I had the culprit pegged early on. I kept reading hoping I was wrong.

Next up is Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg.

Can't remember In the Woods anymore, but the most recent books by Tana French are way more superior, especially Faithful Place, Broken Harbour and The Trespasser.

Miss Smilla is wonderful! Should revisit it. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Mila 18...Leon Uris....I have all his books in hardback and every few years go back to them...finished Exodus last week for probably the 5th time over the years, my favorite would be Battle Cry.

• Advertisement

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Mila 18...Leon Uris....I have all his books in hardback and every few years go back to them...finished Exodus last week for probably the 5th time over the years, my favorite would be Battle Cry.

Leon Uris, amazing story teller.

In Exodus I love the part where he describes the feeling the lads looking down from the mountains over the Galilee, I've actually read that part whilst on the Lebanese/Israeli border and looking down over Galilee.

I haven't read that book since 2000.

Battle Cry is another amazing book, but funnily enough I tried reading it a few times, couldn't get into it. Then after maybe the their or fourth attempt I pushed on through to find it was one of the best books about men at war I've ever read.

In a similar fashion if you enjoy Battle Cry I'd suggest you read James Webb's 'Fields of War'.

Also largely told by the first person, but gives individual accounts of all the main players. I've read this maybe five or six times.

Ok so to present times.

ATM I'm reading Robert Harris 'Fatherland', read a good bit of it on Christmas Eve but I was pissed on Tyskie followed by a lot of whiskey so I've to start again because I can't remember a thing I read lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Just starting th3 biography of Robert Enke. Rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Just finished 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. Enjoyed it a lot. A clever novel initially about a global virus that wipes out most of the human race that picks up the story twenty years later with a group of travelling musicians / actors. Lots of flashbacks and different threads connecting up.
    Just read the first few pages of 'Nutshell' by Ian McEwan

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

ordered Roomies by Christina Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

The Ascent, by Barry Ryan. About Irish cycling in the 80's and all that. Halfway through and an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The hearts invisible furies. It’s amazing but I don’t like one central character so I’m struggling. But Cyril Avery is a fantastic character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finished Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari. It turns out that I'm not going mad, and in fact the modern ways of finding relationships are as fscked-up as they appear to be. Starting David Brin's Existence next.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I've just started An Outcast of the Islands by Joseph Conrad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Lisha wrote: »
    The hearts invisible furies. It’s amazing but I don’t like one central character so I’m struggling. But Cyril Avery is a fantastic character.

Stick with It. It’s really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Darkness, Take my Hand by Dennis Lehane. Amazing writer.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

greenspurs wrote: »
    Darkness, Take my Hand by Dennis Lehane. Amazing writer.....

The film's made of his books are great but the original books are stunning.

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished "Holding" by Graham Norton today. Really really enjoyed it, fanatically well written.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Square and the Tower by Niall Ferguson. Its always good to have your ideas challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. The first half was a bit meh but it's really picking up in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Finished "Holding" by Graham Norton today. Really really enjoyed it, fanatically well written.

I thought it was horrendous glurge altogether, tbh.

I read Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and Anthony Warner's "The Angry Chef" over Christmas. "Neverwhere" was enjoyable, but it's no "American Gods". "The Angry Chef" should be on the school curriculum.

Currently reading Bryan Cranston's autobiography. If he hasn't already, he should record it as an audiobook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm about halfway through Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
    The novel centres around the adventures of Peter Grant, a young officer in the Metropolitan Police; who, following an unexpected encounter with a ghost, is recruited into the small branch of the Met that deals with magic and the supernatural.

Peter Grant, having become the first English apprentice wizard in over seventy years, must immediately deal with two different but ultimately inter-related cases. In one he must find what is possessing ordinary people and turning them into vicious killers, and in the second he must broker a peace between the two warring gods of the River Thames and their respective families.

There is a series of them....I've already gotten 2,3, and 4. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

It's an easy read and I'm getting through it very quickly, but I feel like it's building up to something and that I'm going to be disappointed when nothing happens...

• Advertisement

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Really enjoying it so far; reading it ahead of the upcoming film release :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement