Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

On a bit of an anthropology binge at the moment so got Sapiens by Yuval Noah Hararai. Serious page turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Downloaded "Fire and Fury" onto the Kindle today. Looking forward to reading this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

rushfan wrote: »
    Downloaded "Fire and Fury" onto the Kindle today. Looking forward to reading this one.

Finished it last night, interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Fergal Keane's Wounds: part memoir, part family history, part history of revolutionary Ireland. I like his narrative and writing styles, so I'm enjoying it so far.

Currently reading Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, the 2017 Booker Prize winner.
    Got it as a Christmas present and have about 50 pages left to go.
    It's........strange. Very very strange. But (mostly) in a good way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Currently reading Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, the 2017 Booker Prize winner.
    Got it as a Christmas present and have about 50 pages left to go.
    It's........strange. Very very strange. But (mostly) in a good way!

I've been in an out of it, will get stuck in. The audiobook is incredible:

http://time.com/4631970/george-saunders-lincoln-in-the-bardo/

Nick Offerman as HANS VOLLMAN
    David Sedaris as ROGER BEVINS III
    Carrie Brownstein as ISABELLE PERKINS
    George Saunders as THE REVEREND EVERLY THOMAS
    Miranda July as MRS. ELIZABETH CRAWFORD
    Lena Dunham as ELISE TRAYNOR
    Ben Stiller as JACK MANDERS
    Julianne Moore as JANE ELLIS
    Susan Sarandon as MRS. ABIGAIL BLASS
    Bradley Whitford as LT. CECIL STONE
    Bill Hader as EDDIE BARON
    Megan Mullally as BETSY BARON
    Rainn Wilson as PERCIVAL “DASH” COLLIER
    Jeff Tweedy as CAPTAIN WILLIAM PRINCE
    Kat Dennings as MISS TAMARA DOOLITTLE
    Jeffrey Tambor as PROFESSOR EDMUND BLOOMER
    Mike O’Brien as LAWRENCE T. DECROIX
    Keegan-Michael Key as ELSON FARWELL
    Don Cheadle as THOMAS HAVENS
    and
    Patrick Wilson as STANLEY “PERFESSER” LIPPERT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ann and Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk
    https://www.amazon.com/Great-War-Civilisation-Conquest-Middle/dp/1400075173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514033731&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+fisk

Its very long, sometimes not very pleasant reading, but its very very good.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I've been in an out of it, will get stuck in. The audiobook is incredible:

Wow, that's some cast! :eek: (Stiller and Dunham irritate me hugely, but you can never have a perfect lineup I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Great-War-Civilisation-Conquest-Middle/dp/1400075173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514033731&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+fisk

I like Fisk,I might have to warez that one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

bonzodog2 wrote:

A fantastic read. I read it myself a few years ago, got bogged down a bit on the Albanian situation, but yeah it's very very good alright. It's only a couple of euros on Amazon Kindle atm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton.

Part of a series about a detective called Kinsey Milhone that started at A.
    Sadly she died a week ago so the alphabet will end at Y as she promised to haunt her kids if they ever sold the rights to her books or called in a ghost writer!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

The good daughter by Karin Slaughter
    Excellent thriller, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Currently reasing Dynasty by Tom Holland and SPQR by Mary Beard.
    Very contrasting voews of the end of the Roman Republic and the emergence of Empire.
    Both great books and both offer contrary views and interpretation of that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Here's another, its maybe 3 years since I read it, but its also good
    The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of a New World Order (Council on Foreign Relations Books (Princeton University Press)) Ben Steil
    https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Bretton-Woods-Relations-University/dp/0691162379/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515326751&sr=8-3&keywords=bretton+woods

Another was a bio of the Dulles brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cathar, a novel set in 13th century southern France

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Couldn’t resist the hype, reading Wolff’s “Fire & Fury” about the Trump White House

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Midnight Line....a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

It's good if a little formulaic....but I like the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Trump expose "Fire and Fury"

It's certainly worth the read, even in a WTF comedy sense, although the reaction from the White House and Trump himself suggests that there's a lot of truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost. Juvenile dossier type yoke trying to explain what's going on from the great TV show. Not everything needs to be explained to be enjoyed and too much explanation will kill the enjoyment. Got it as a gift. Ok for reading while sitting on the jacks and that's about it.

The Last London by Iain Sinclair. Sinclair's latest lament at the current state of the city he has lived in and spent so much time writing about. Sinclair is in bad form about it all but still a very entertaining read. The descriptions of gibberish statements roared into smartphones on the streets is worth the price alone.

The Oxford Illustrated History of Witchcraft and Magic by Owen Davies. Beautiful hardcover copy with great colour plates and illustrations. Owen Davies is a total master of social history, his book on Grimoires is also a great read but this is outstanding work. Ten out of the Ten.

Sive by John B. Keane. Going to see this next month, seen it last in the Gaiety back in 1994 or that so catching up on it. Always a pleasure from the genius mountain man magician John B

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How Not To Be A Boy, by Robert Webb, very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

The Tin Man by Sarah Winman. Meh, so far. Another one of those poetic yokes with admittedly lovely prose and no speech punctuation recollecting the impact of an intersection of lives. Rarely do the characters jump sufficiently off the page for me to really care. It's a short one, though, so I'll finish it and maybe even be surprised.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I rarely read non-fiction and never read more than one book at a time, but I'm breaking both of those trends at the moment.

"Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright is one I've had on my list for ages

And of course, Fire and Fury (though the non-fiction description could be disputed)

Makes for some interesting parallel reading!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Fire and Fury and also the Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt. There is no hope. I think I'm going to read some Thomas the Tank Engine for a while after I get through these :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Hate U Give, it's a young adult book which is a genre I usually avoid but this is a great book. It's about the aftermath of a policeman shooting an unarmed black teen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

ankles wrote: »
    Fire and Fury and also the Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt. There is no hope. I think I'm going to read some Thomas the Tank Engine for a while after I get through these :(

That's why I avoid to read even more about the desperate situation of mankind, for my own sanity. Hannah Arendt analysed a past, so I thought, but the present is even more frightening.

I love crime novels and thrillers, because there is always someone good who keeps evil away, or whatever. But looking at reality I think no crime writer can keep up with all the cruelty and bull**** in our current world.

At the moment I'm on a discovery mission of probably obscure Irish crime fiction as escapism reads.

Currently it's Jo Spain's With our Blessing. I'ts no great literature, but a good solid police procedure novel. It's about the murder of a nun and a priest and digging into their past concerning a Magdalene Laundry in Limerick. Actually, I felt satisfied that they were killed...

Next is Andrea Carter's The Well of Ice. It's the latest in her series about a solicitor in Inishowen who always manages to get involved into bizarre and very parochial crimes. A kind of sexy Miss Marple in Malin and in a sweet way undemanding, but a satisfying bedtime read.

Bending down my dining table, just by weight and size, is that massive tome Atlas of the Irish Revolution. I'm not even halfway through browsing - reading it will take months, if not years. But boy it's fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Carry wrote: »
    Currently it's Jo Spain's With our Blessing. I'ts no great literature, but a good solid police procedure novel. It's about the murder of a nun and a priest and digging into their past concerning a Magdalene Laundry in Limerick. Actually, I felt satisfied that they were killed...

Thanks for the recommendation, just bought this on Kindle (£1.99 if anyone's interested ) Looks intriguing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Started 1984 George Orwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The Hearts Invisible Furies - John Boyne

Awful aul rubbish....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement