Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

War of the Worlds.

H.G Wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The new Jack Reacher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

'The Domino Killer' by Neil White. I'm new to thrillers and this is fantastic so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

SPQR a history of Ancient Rome
    by Mary Beard

Fantastic!!!
    I can't put it down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TomSweeney wrote: »
    SPQR a history of Ancient Rome
    by Mary Beard

Fantastic!!!
    I can't put it down!!
    Yep, best history book Ive ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Maria Edgeworth's Letters from Ireland, edited by Valerie Packenham, provides a fascinating insight into both the writers personal life and Irish History from the late 18th to mid 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Thargor wrote: »
    Yep, best history book Ive ever read.

Its approaching it, almost as good as King Leopolds Ghost ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

FIFA by Andrew Jennings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

"Dynasty" by Tom Holland, a history of ancient Rome's Julio-Claudian emperors, beginning with August and including Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and finally Nero. Very informative, compelling and readable, for a history book it's a real page-turner. Anyone looking for an entry point into classical Roman history could do a lot worse than this, and Mary Beard's SPQR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Tesio Myth by Franco Varola

"A good percentage, if not the majority, of the winners of the top-class races in contemporary racing all over the world, trace up in tail-male line to either Donatello II, Nearco or Ribot. These three horses, along with about a thousand others, were bred on the western bank of Lake Maggiore by a man who seldom spoke to anyone, who struggled for most of his life to make ends meet, and who picked up mares and fillies at the English Sales sometimes for under 100 guineas each.

This man, Federico Tesio, worked every day of his life for over sixty years as a breeder and as a trainer of his own horses. He never had a staff of deputies, nor even assistants. His personal needs were minimal, and, as far as it is possible to know, he may have never enjoyed summer holidays or cruises to the Caribbean. Indeed, his only known instrument of work was his folding stick, on which he used to sit when the horses were back in the yard, so that he could study them at his leisure."

• Advertisement

Your Life In My Hands by Rachel Clarke, didn't enjoy this one. I thought it wild feature more medical stories but there was a lot of pages about the NHS crisis and politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

When breath becomes air - Paul Kalanithi.

Autobiographical memoir of a talented young neurosurgeon, who died at age 37 years in 2015. It definitely makes you appreciate your life, however imperfect it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Rereading 'Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss.

Waiting very impatiently for any sign of the third book coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Stephen Hawking. A Brief History Of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Autobiographical memoir of a talented young neurosurgeon, who died at age 37 years in 2015. It definitely makes you appreciate your life, however imperfect it might be.

Just looked up this book as hadn't heard of it. Wow it looks amazing I have just ordered it. Thanks for the review.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Rereading 'Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss.

Waiting very impatiently for any sign of the third book coming out.

I loved 'The Name of the Wind'. Thought 'The Wise Man's Fear' was considerably weaker.

Have consigned the third volume to the "Never going to happen" scrapheap alongside the rest of A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I loved 'The Name of the Wind'. Thought 'The Wise Man's Fear' was considerably weaker.

Have consigned the third volume to the "Never going to happen" scrapheap alongside the rest of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Hopefully book three this year! I live in hope .

I'm not reading anything ATM, looking for something interesting in the urban fantasy genre.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A Little Life.

I've read it before but it's such an amazing book I have had to pick it up again. Just as heart wrenching second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Educated by Tara Westover, an memoir about growing up in a fundamentalist Mormon family in Idaho, and how she escaped through education.

I also have Colm Tóibín's Bad Blood on the go, his memoir about walking the Northern Ireland border in the late 80s. It is insightful in places about aspects of the Troubles and the difficulties of the peace process, but it also shows him to be a moany fécker at times...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Er Ist Weider Da' ~ Timur Vermes.
    In 2011, Adolf Hitler wakes up in a vacant lot in Berlin which appears to be the location of the garden outside the bunker where he was burned, with no knowledge of anything that happened following his death in 1945. Homeless and destitute, he interprets everything he sees and experiences in 2011 from a Nazi perspective — for instance, he assumes that Turks in Germany are an indicator of Karl Dönitz having persuaded Turkey to join the Axis, and thinks that Wikipedia is named for Wikinger (“Vikings”). Although everyone recognizes him, nobody believes that he is Hitler; instead, they think he is either a comedian or a method actor. He appears on a variety television show called Whoa, dude!, going off-script to broadcast his views. Videos of his angry rants become hugely successful on YouTube, and he achieves modern celebrity status as a performer. The newspaper Bild tries to take him down, but is sued into praising him. He is beaten up by far-right extremists who think he is mocking the memory of Hitler, unaware that he is the genuine article. In the end, he uses his popularity to re-enter politics.

Hilarious. I haven't laughed so much since I read James Harriots series of 'All Creatures great and Small'.

Highly recommended.

I start it this morning, ironically enough the date of Hitlers birthday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just ordered the Children of the Famine trilogy by Marita Conlon-McKenna after hearing her on the Last Word today.

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of these books before, but my little boy of 8 is mad about history and I got them for him, as he has already been reading about the famine and I think these would be good to own.

Might read them myself, even though they are supposedly books for children. Might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. Brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Er Ist Weider Da' ~ Timur Vermes.

Hilarious. I haven't laughed so much since I read James Harriots series of 'All Creatures great and Small'.

Highly recommended.

I start it this morning, ironically enough the date of Hitlers birthday lol

It's great but unfortunately more relevant than ever now. There's a film too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

pitifulgod wrote: »
    It's great but unfortunately more relevant than ever now. There's a film too.

Seen the movie (Netflix), as funny as the movie is I'm finding the book much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

With a Boards name like mine, it'll be no surprise to learn that I'm currently reading "Great Expectations". Hmmmm.

I'm trying to read a few 'classics' that we've all heard of, but I've never read before. So at the moment, that's Dickens.

Having done a little reading about the man himself, some of what he writes is a social commentary - and quite chilling some of it is, too. But what I really love is his style, and precise use of grammar. (thank God for Kindle, highlight a word and get a dictionary definition). Although, on occasion , reading a sentence can be like trying to read an algebraic formula!!

Anyway, hopefully, Pip will realise his great expectations!

Edit: the hmmm above is to indicate that the jury (of one) is out at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Laura Synder's The Philosophical Breakfast Club. A great bend of history and science plotting the lives of Charles Babbage, William Whewell, John Herschel and Richard Jones.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Donal Ryan, from a low and quiet sea.

I found the first 10pages difficult to get into but now I just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished this book. Heaetbreaking read.

Half way through Educated, very good. The father was a nutter don't know how they survived through it all.

• Advertisement

I've moved on the third novel by Tana French. This one is called Faithful Place. Previous to that I read The Likeness. The actual plot while fine wasn't the most interesting. What I did love were the characters and what they had to say for themselves. It was kind of heartbreaking in places.

I'm also dipping in and out of Victor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning and whatever poem happens to catch my eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement