Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just ordered the Children of the Famine trilogy by Marita Conlon-McKenna after hearing her on the Last Word today.

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of these books before, but my little boy of 8 is mad about history and I got them for him, as he has already been reading about the famine and I think these would be good to own.

Might read them myself, even though they are supposedly books for children. Might learn something.

Oh I loved those! They were really popular when I was a child. I remember feeling so sad for the characters. Definitely read them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"The Rose Stone: by Teresa Crane.. sad themes but fine story

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Almost finished Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man. Maybe it just hasn't aged well but I can't say any of the stories so far (other than the framing device of the Illustrated Man himself) have been particularly well-written. The man certainly had plenty of imagination but his writing skills leave a lot to be desired, imo.

While on a little break from that I read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, which I enjoyed a lot more than I was expecting.

Laura Synder's The Philosophical Breakfast Club. A great bend of history and science plotting the lives of Charles Babbage, William Whewell, John Herschel and Richard Jones.

Highly recommended.

Good to hear. I've just read a biography of Babbage - not a particularly well written one. Looking forward to TPBC next!
    I've moved on the third novel by Tana French. This one is called Faithful Place. Previous to that I read The Likeness. The actual plot while fine wasn't the most interesting. What I did love were the characters and what they had to say for themselves. It was kind of heartbreaking in places.

I'm also dipping in and out of Victor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning and whatever poem happens to catch my eye.

I really enjoyed In The Woods and looked forward to the sequels, but they left me disappointed. I probably expected too much. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I enjoyed her books, but I found some of the characterisation a bit “over done”.
    Another Irish crime writer I’d recommend is Alan Glynn.
    He has a trilogy; Winterland, Bloodland and Graveland that are worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm reading Das Reich - the March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division through France, June 1944. Its amazingly insightful into the French resistance. I've read the history of Oradour-sur-Glane and will be visiting this summer, so it's especially interesting.

Next up is All You Zombies, by Robert A Heinlein. I saw the movie Predestination the other night, which I enjoyed a lot, so thought I'd check out the short story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm rationing the last few pages of 'Er ist weider Da', its been fantastic. Hilarious, proper laugh out loud stuff and politically very clever (and brave).

But I'm in that place where I'm in a panic for a follow up. I hate those few days when I don't have a book at hand, or knowing there's one in the post ~ hence the rationing.

Dunno where to go from here, but Er ist weider da' has been brilliant ~ highly recommended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm rationing the last few pages of 'Er ist weider Da', its been fantastic. Hilarious, proper laugh out loud stuff and politically very clever (and brave).

But I'm in that place where I'm in a panic for a follow up. I hate those few days when I don't have a book at hand, or knowing there's one in the post ~ hence the rationing.

Dunno where to go from here, but Er ist weider da' has been brilliant ~ highly recommended :D

kindle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I hate those few days when I don't have a book at hand, or knowing there's one in the post
    I am packing my books into cardboard boxes.
    So far I have filled 22 boxes 18"x12"x12" and am just getting going. :(

lawred2 wrote: »
    kindle

I've tried them, had two as presents and had to return them.

I love the feel of a book, turning the pages. Closing it a realizing I've just read half the book in one sitting. Some books even have their own smells, like their own personalities.

I just can't like a Kindle, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Advertisement

I too have a kindle, unused.

diomed wrote: »

I've never had THAT many lol, but I have had boxes at times.

After reading Er is weider Da' I'm tempted to give Mein Kampt a read, anyone?.

I like the idea of books

But I detest clutter or dust collectors

It was an inner battle that eventually my kindle won out

Plus I can read in the dark now like I did when I was 12 - this time without the flashlight

diomed wrote: »
    I got those measurements from the invoice but when I read it again I knew it was wrong.
    They are 18"x18"x12" and when I tried to lift one it wouldn't leave the ground. :)

I like the idea of books

Plus I can read in the dark now like I did when I was 12 - this time without the flashlight

What about when you doze off and it falls onto your face?.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Love all her books and writing style; apparently she may have another book coming out this year so I am looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

taken a break from my Dennis Lehane books.

Reading "into the Wild" by Jon Krakaeur --- Its a bit .... Meh.
    Cant wait to get finished it. I dunno how they got a movie out of his book (I love the movie, esp the Music :) )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You wake up :D

A kindle is very handy for when you run out of books. Since I got a tablet (with kindle app) as a present I'm pleased that I can have a book ready to download, in case I get withdrawal symptoms, especially when I finished a book on Saturday evening and I'm stuck for the weekend.
    But I do prefer "real" books.

I do have a huge bedsite pile that will keep me going for months, though, but these are mostly non-fiction books or so-called high-brow literature I feel I have to read but which are rarely gripping.

At the moment I'm reading Arnaldur Indridasons The Shadow Killer, the follow-up of The Shadow District.

They are set in Iceland during the early 1940s when Iceland was occupied by the British and then the American army. Highly interesting to read about a society so far removed from the modern world and still rattled by world events and about the arrogance of the Americans who treat the locals like some underlings.
    I like especially the no-nonsense and unagitated language of Indridason, a style that I consider as very Icelandic whatever that means (I only ever met one Icelandic person im my life).

Candie wrote: »

I really enjoyed In The Woods and looked forward to the sequels, but they left me disappointed. I probably expected too much. :(

I've a feeling I'm going to be disappointed with Faithful Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carry wrote: »
    You wake up :D

A kindle is very handy for when you run out of books. Since I got a tablet (with kindle app) as a present I'm pleased that I can have a book ready to download, in case I get withdrawal symptoms, especially when I finished a book on Saturday evening and I'm stuck for the weekend.
    But I do prefer "real" books.

I do have a huge bedsite pile that will keep me going for months, though, but these are mostly non-fiction books or so-called high-brow literature I feel I have to read but which are rarely gripping.

At the moment I'm reading Arnaldur Indridasons The Shadow Killer, the follow-up of The Shadow District.

They are set in Iceland during the early 1940s when Iceland was occupied by the British and then the American army. Highly interesting to read about a society so far removed from the modern world and still rattled by world events and about the arrogance of the Americans who treat the locals like some underlings.
    I like especially the no-nonsense and unagitated language of Indridason, a style that I consider as very Icelandic whatever that means (I only ever met one Icelandic person im my life).

Would love a kindle but the cost.. And does running it cost also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

With the End in Mind

Kathryn mannix

Its a great book but sad and sometimes harrowing.read it in stages.
    It has definitely opened my eyes to the process of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Graces7 wrote:

I bought a kobo ereader rather than the kindle. The reason being that you can "borrow" books from the library at no cost!! Kindle does not enable this option. The one I got was kobo aura h2o. I had to buy from Currys UK & parcel motel it to here but I am very happy so far after 6 months of use. Books can be bought from the Kobo store & are a bit pricier than kindle store but I feel that the library option outweighs this.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

No Running costs Associated with Kindle. Has to be one lf my best buys ever. Have not read a paper book in years - Kimdle all the way. My suitcase going on hols used to be ful of books - now it's just my Kindle in My handbag. Far less clutter in the house too. Would be lost without mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I have a kindle (Fire), a Kobo and stacks of paper books still! I flit from one to another depending on where I am and what I want to read.

I wake up and read some more until I fall asleep and it hits me in the face again :D

rinse and repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Graces7 wrote: »
    Cheap smartphone and download the kindle app.

I don't even know where my kindle is now, download most books on my phone but I still like the feel and smell of books.

And bookshops:)

Cheap smartphone and download the kindle app.

I don't even know where my kindle is now, download most books on my phone but I still like the feel and smell of books.

And bookshops:)

too small

would at least need to be a cheap tablet really or else you'll get eye strain

and really even at that it might save a few quid but it would be for a poorer experience - the best kindle is the paperwhite - no glare, light to hold and very comfortable on the eyes in all levels of background light. The paperwhite is purposely designed for reading.

The kindle app is just not the same - too much glare. Tablets are not designed with the single minded purpose of reading in comfort. I have a kindle fire and the reading experience compared to the paperwhite couldn't be more different.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

lawred2 wrote:
    and really even at that it might save a few quid but it would be for a poorer experience - the best kindle is the paperwhite - no glare, light to hold and very comfortable on the eyes in all levels of background light. The paperwhite is purposely designed for reading.

Second this! Bought mine 28 months ago, swear by it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I like the idea of books

Whatever the pros and cons of e-readers, real books are NOT clutter!

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Whatever the pros and cons of e-readers, real books are NOT clutter!

well that's subjective no?

what's not a real book?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement