Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beyond my pensioner means and that is fine

i used to use the Gutenberg site; must try it again. need books! I buy at charity shops and return them there but cannot get out just now

http://www.gutenberg.org/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

lawred2 wrote: »
    well that's subjective no?

what's not a real book?

Something that needs batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

New Home wrote: »
    Something that needs batteries.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

New Home wrote: »
    Whatever the pros and cons of e-readers, real books are NOT clutter!

Completely agree!
    A home without books is somewhat soulless and speaks volumes (!) about the homeowner.
    But that is probably a very continental perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lawred2 wrote: »
    what's not a real book?

Oh come on, it's clear he meant physical books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm going to back off - feels like some bickering is brewing. I didn't want to derail the thread which seems to be happening. If discussion of books is not to include any mention of e-readers then maybe New Home could make such a mod statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Folks I am no mod or anything but this is a great thread, can we keep it to what book you are currently reading and your thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Reading The Alienist. It's beautifully written but fairly slow.

Ipso wrote: »
    I enjoyed her books, but I found some of the characterisation a bit “over done”.
    Another Irish crime writer I’d recommend is Alan Glynn.
    He has a trilogy; Winterland, Bloodland and Graveland that are worth checking out.

On the whole I do enjoy her characters and find that I care about what happens to them. However you do have a point. There is the incredibly earnest and incredibly loving boyfriend, the quirky and fearless young detective, the salt of the earth families with stereotype in tow.

I'll check out Alan Glynn next :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in that twilight zone of bookless atm.

Nearing the end of Er ist weider da' I was tempted to order Mein Kampt, but went with 'The Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler' instead, so I'm out of here for a week :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What about when you doze off and it falls onto your face?.

I have a case on my kindle that doubles as a stand so I just put the book on the bed and lay on my side. Often I just doze off to sleep mid read. It's great!

Nearing the end of Er ist weider da' I was tempted to order Mein Kampt, but went with 'The Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler' instead, so I'm out of here for a week :/

Forget about Mein Kampf. It's pure drivel.

You might want to read Hitler's Peace by Philip Kerr. It's on my pile , but I didn't read it yet, though so far I loved every book by Kerr.
    Autumn 1943. Since Stalingrad, Hitler has known that Germany cannot win the war. The upcoming Allied conference in Teheran will set the ground rules for their second front-and for the peace to come. Realizing that the unconditional surrender FDR has demanded will leave Germany in ruins, Hitler has put out peace feelers. (Unbeknownst to him, so has Himmler, who is ready to stage a coup in order to reach an accord.) FDR and Stalin are willing to negotiate. Only Churchill refuses to listen.

At the center of this high-stakes game of deals and doubledealing is Willard Mayer, an OSS operative who has been chosen by FDR to serve as his envoy. He is the perfect foil for the steamy world of deception, betrayals, and assassinations that make up the moral universe of realpolitik. A cool, self-absorbed, emotionally distant womanizer with a questionable past, Mayer has embraced the stylish philosophy of the day, in which no values are fixed. In the course of the novel, his beliefs will be put to the ultimate test.

But as compelling as Mayer is, the key players in this drama-FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Hitler, as well as Himmler, Bormann, Molotov, and Schellenberg (with marvelous walk-ons by Kim Philby, Anthony Blunt, and Evelyn Waugh)-are astonishingly true-to-life.

Hitler's Peace is Philip Kerr in top form. With his sure hand for pacing, his firm grasp of historical detail, and his explosively creative imagination about what might have been, he has fashioned a totally convincing thinking man's thriller in the great tradition of Eric Ambler and Graham Greene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You might also like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/317457.Making_History

Read it years ago and have just dug it out again to reread.

You might also like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/317457.Making_History

Read it years ago and have just dug it out again to reread.

That sounds interesting and fun, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Glass bra's by semour diddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

decky1 wrote:
    Glass bra's by semour diddy.

Yellow river by IP Freely

Carry wrote: »
    Forget about Mein Kampf. It's pure drivel.

You might want to read Hitler's Peace by Philip Kerr. It's on my pile , but I didn't read it yet, though so far I loved every book by Kerr.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn, just placed an order for it via ebay.. Danke schön

Woops, Amazon.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn, just placed an order for it via ebay.. Danke schön

Woops, Amazon.

Gern geschehen ;)
    Let us know what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Nineteen minutes - Jodi Picout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro. Can't fault it so far. He's one of those rare writers that can draw you deep into their world.

• Advertisement

I am reading The Witcher series by Andrezj Sapkowski. (Translated from Polish)As the books progress in this series so too does the quality. I am not a regular reader of fantasy but really enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

The Green Fool - Patrick Kavanagh. The main man Patrick Kavanagh's own account of his own rural upbringing in the village of Mucker. Total genius work. If you have never dipped into this thing, do yourself a massive favour and buy this thing and read it out ye're back garden when the good weather manages to arrive for whatever three or four days it shows itself. Brilliant light-hearted bleak real life gold Irishness

From Hell - Alan Moore. Alan Moore's graphic novel of the 'Jack the Ripper' murders in late 19th Century London. Another good read for out the back garden n the late Springtime/early Summer weather because it is bleak and terrifying as f**k in parts, so out in the sun reading this thing gives great balance. Have read this over 10 times and it never gets old. Brilliant stuff.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

kimokanto wrote: »
    I am reading The Witcher series by Andrezj Sapkowski. (Translated from Polish)As the books progress in this series so too does the quality. I am not a regular reader of fantasy but really enjoying this.

Are they the books that the Witcher game is based on? The young lad spent hundreds of hours playing that game. Best ever according to himself.

I've started reading Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari. It's a book about the future of humanity. It's all rather bleak and apocalyptic at the moment. Some very deep philosophical questions are posed early on. It would make you want to get rid of Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Facebook.

Are they the books that the Witcher game is based on? The young lad spent hundreds of hours playing that game. Best ever according to himself.

The same ones, he won a fantasy fiction award, the David Gemmell award, which is awarded by other fantasy authors for one of the books- The Blood of Elves.
    There are a lot of parallels with real life themes(racism, the environment) which makes these very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just started The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride. The style takes a while to adjust to but I am motivated to stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

optogirl wrote: »
    Just started The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride. The style takes a while to adjust to but I am motivated to stick with it

She's... challenging, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Donal Ryan's 'All we shall know' and Meg Wolitzer's 'The Female Persuasion'.

Bit of a difficult one for me this one.

I started Mads Gilbert 'Eyes in Gaza'
    Despite the Israeli authorities' attempt to shut out aid workers and the media from the conflict zone, NORWAC (the Norwegian Aid Committee) succeeded in getting some of its envoys into the heart of Gaza City including two doctors: Erik Fosse and Mads Gilbert. For some time, the two were the only Western eyewitnesses in Gaza. This book is an account of their experience during sixteen harrowing days from 27 December 2008 to 12 January 2009. Each chapter covers just one day, as the reader follows the doctors' journey through the ravaged city, treating local Palestinians and hearing their stories. Hailed by the influential Norwegian Newspaper Klassekampen as the 'best book of 2009,' Mads Gilbert's and Erik Fosse's shocking, yet sober account sheds much-needed light on this recent chapter of one of the most prolonged and complex conflicts of our time.

Last year but I was giving me bad dreams and memories of one particular tour of duty I done to Lebanon, so I put it down.

I'm between books at the moment (hurry up Mister Postman) so I picked it up again, and last night got the same dreams flooding back.

Its a fairly graphic and harrowing account of two volunteer doctors serving in Gaza, and they pull no punches in describing the life and death under the Israeli siege of Gaza.

I'll push on through with it and hopefully get it finished this evening.

I won't put a youtube link to Doctor Gilbert up here, they're mostly very graphic and contain scenes of death.. Anyway, I'm hoping to finally finish this.. Waiting for 'The Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler', hopefully here Tuesday.

That's heavy stuff to read, Makikomi.

I'm reading Disorder by Gerard Brennan.

It's Belfast, a "protest" by red-blue-white thugs in front of City Hall, maybe because of "flegs", maybe because of just having a recreational riot. Main thug is Clark Wallace.

Into the riot walks stoned-to-his-eyeballs student Jimmy McAuley, gets hurt by Vic Wallace, cousin of Clark, and subsequently interviewed by "investigative" TV-journalist Grace.
    Stoned Jimmy makes a speech into the mike that goes kind of viral.

In comes cop Tommy Bridge with dubious morals and an axe to grind with the Wallaces.

Hilarity and mayhem ensues.

So far very enjoyable and a fantastic exaggerated but true picture of Belfast and a fine portrayal of the local nutcases and oddballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo

Another in the Harry Hole series....what a name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement