Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mister Postie arrived with two books this morning, Hitlers Peace and 'A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler' ~ I'll read the biography first and get back to the forum with a little review later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

"Napoleon's Campaign in Poland, 1806–1807" - F. Lorraine Petre

Just starting Melissa Explains It All: Tales from My Abnormally Normal Life by Melissa Joan Hart. Big fan of Sabrina The Teenage Witch tv show when I was growing up so thought I'd give her autobiography a read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The man in the high castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just finished Old Man’s War by John Scalzi. It has a strong Heinlein Starship Troopers homage going on, but with much more emphasis on characters and philosophy. Quite brilliant, I thought.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

The third book of Storm light Archive. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm reading "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard and so far so good!
    This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Dig Tree by Sarah Murgatroyd.

A popular history of the Burke and Wills expedition across Australia. Just began it but so far it's riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

ive just read Monty Dons book about his dog Nigel and all the dogs in his life .a perfect Sunday afternoon read sitting out the back garden with your own dog at your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Blood River.
    A travel book by Tim Butcher, travelling the length of the Congo river.
    I never want to go to Congo..so dangerous.
    Very well written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

A Very English Scandal by John Preston, all about Jeremy Thorpe's murder plot during 60s. Reads like a thriller and pretty fascinating read.

I wrote earlier that I had started A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler.

Well its not grabbing my attention. Its more or less facts, or trivia about Hitler and not really a time line of his life, so there's no real storyline to follow.

Has anyone read 'Stuka Pilot' by Hans Ulrich Rudel?.. Considering it as my next read.

The Woman In The Window by A.J. Finn. Not bad and an easy read; the ending was just ok. It's going to be made into a film apparently with Amy Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Worth checking out.

I'm struggling with book 2 of Hugh Howey's 'Wool' trilogy - 'Shift'. I'm about 65% the way through now.

The books were recommended to me by a friend who has previously recommended many great reads, so I will see out the trilogy. Plus, Book 1 was actually good.

It's just, Book 2 is a bit of a different beast with its narrative style of jumping between timelines and areas. Book 1 was quite tight and straight-forward, Book 2 expands the scope and the lore.

Same as most Book 2s in many series in the genre, but it's not carried out as well here as I've seen it done elsewhere.

I'm hoping for a strong finish, and a lot more from Book 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Ipso wrote: »
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Worth checking out.

I got halfway through this and put it aside. Totally forgot about it until now, should I pick it back up?

Currently reading 'The Abominable' by Dan Simmons. Hope the ending isn't as disappointing as I found the ending of 'The Terror'.

Would really love a good horror/ ghost story, will have a look at what Valancourt have published lately. Enjoying what they're rereleasing.

Anyone read Sapiens? Started it earlier and enjoyed it, but the writer's style was a tad annoying for some reason.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I got halfway through this and put it aside. Totally forgot about it until now, should I pick it back up?

Currently reading 'The Abominable' by Dan Simmons. Hope the ending isn't as disappointing as I found the ending of 'The Terror'.

Would really love a good horror/ ghost story, will have a look at what Valancourt have published lately. Enjoying what they're rereleasing.

I'd definitely recommend finishing it, about two thirds of the way through and really like it.

I haven't read much horror recently, but have you heard of Let the Right One In?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anyone read Sapiens? Started it earlier and enjoyed it, but the writer's style was a tad annoying for some reason.

It's a tad over long. He is a bit presumptuous at times but it's still a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm reading "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard and so far so good!
    Ah FFS how many times has that plot come up in the last decade? This young adult crap is getting so tiresome, Hunger Games has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

Currently just finished part 3 of the Scarlett City books on Audible, I do a lot of walking and driving so this form of literature suits me and is no doubt frowned upon here. Looking for some audible recommendations if anyone could help, currently filling in with the complete work of Sherlock Holmes.

Anyone know of a good historical fiction series on The Norman Invasion of England?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh, another thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Ipso wrote:
    Anyone know of a good historical fiction series on The Norman Invasion of England?

The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth is set in the time just prior/around the Norman invasion. Not a series but an obscure interesting novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Just finished "A Higher Loyalty " by James Comey, found it an excellent read, not just about Trump but also his relationship with previous Presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ipso wrote: »

This is set a little bit further on that the Norman invasion, but its supposed to be excellent its next on my list.

The Last Hours (Black Death #1)
    by Minette Walters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm just about to start Eleanor Oliphant today.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Going on in my quest for Irish crime thrillers I finished a couple of days ago The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan.

Location is Galway, and there is a new cop in town. Plot is a connection between a suspicious but unsolved death 20 years ago and the alleged suicide of the then victim's son in present day.
    The new cop, transferred from Dublin, has not only to fight against hostility in his station because, well, new cop from Dublin, but is also the only one who sees a connection between the two deaths. Some Irish history of children's abuse in it and for a first novel very well written. Spent many a night reading until dawn because it was so gripping.

As for Galway thrillers I'm glad that Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor got a more realistic competition. The last few books in this series got more and more shoddily written.

Just started Liz Nugent's Skin Deep. Boy, she has a knack for making her main characters highly unlikable and yet fascinating. So far, so good. She is after all a brilliant storyteller.

I accidentally fell out of my comfort zone when I found a book someone had just finished (I hope) and left in work.

'Emperor', The Gates of Rome' by Conn Iggulden.

Started reading it in work, didn't think I'd get a taste for anything Roman and got hooked two pages in and stayed up until 3am this morning with it.

Best of all, I Googled the author and I've stumbled upon the first in a series of books. I've never heard of the author or his books and it seems I've stumbled upon a little gem

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

I discovered this author's name (Conn Iggulden)on this thread a few weeks back & have just started his book Darien & really enjoying it so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement