Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Just finished Homo Deus (the follow up to Sapiens.)

Decent read 8/10

Any recommendations of similar books along the same lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

You can't win by Jack Black

Autobiography of a burglar,safe cracker,opium addicted,freight train riding hobo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

theballz wrote: »
    Just finished Homo Deus (the follow up to Sapiens.)

Decent read 8/10

Any recommendations of similar books along the same lines?

I found Homo Deus to be a very depressing read. Not because of the writer, or the way it was written; but more about what humans are leading themselves into. A very important book.

To be a Machine is a new book by an Irish writer. Haven't read it yet, but getting good reviews, and very much is the same territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm halfway through The Ritual by Adam Nevill. I've almost had a couple of heart attacks by now. Good really atmospheric so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Chickenhawk, exciting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

2011 wrote: »
    Chickenhawk, exciting stuff.

That's like Huey 'copter flight training manual lol

I read it year again when it first came out, I think I was in Lebanon actually. Great book, just push through the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Great book, just push through the beginning.

Funny, I didn't make it too far before putting it down - was on a Vietnam reading buzz at the time, including the great Dispatches by Michael Herr, A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo and the massive A Bright Shining Lie, so presumed I was just Nam'd out - it was always recommended, so I might give it another go...

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Funny, I didn't make it too far before putting it down - was on a Vietnam reading buzz at the time, including the great Dispatches by Michael Herr, A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo and the massive A Bright Shining Lie, so presumed I was just Nam'd out - it was always recommended, so I might give it another go...

If you ever get a Vietnam buzz again I'd highly recommend 'Fields of Fire' by James Webb.. If fvcking unreal, its main characters have stayed with me since I read it in 1985 (during my army recruit training).

I've a few books which I'll always have a relationship with, this is right up in first or second place ~ it would be a toss up between this and Black Beauty.

I often think Black Beauty should be required reading for everyone. I don't think anyone who has ever read it could ever be unkind to an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Re Black Beauty, I feel the same way about Oscar Wilde’s Children’s stories, the best out there IMO.

Alway be a big fan of the Vietnam stuff, and most have stood the test of time and are worth re reading. An exception (more French Indochina) was “Devils Guard”
    I read it many years ago and thought it was superb. But I gave it another go a couple of years back and it wasn’t all that....may best not to reread some books.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Re Black Beauty, I feel the same way about Oscar Wilde’s Children’s stories, the best out there IMO.

Alway be a big fan of the Vietnam stuff, and most have stood the test of time and are worth re reading. An exception (more French Indochina) was “Devils Guard”
    I read it many years ago and thought it was superb. But I gave it another go a couple of years back and it wasn’t all that....may best not to reread some books.

I loved the Devils Guard too, but haven't read it in almost thirty years so I can't really comment too much. I know I did enjoy it at the time.

I like the idea of a German unit working for the French in Indo China, and battle hardened WWII Vets too.

• Advertisement

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Just finishing 'Emperor. The Gates of Rome', by Conn Iggulden.

Absolutely loved it and have just ordered the sequel 'Emperor. The Death of Kings' and can't wait for it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Love anything by Clare McIntosh 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just about finished Ready Player One, it's a good bedtime read and I am finding it quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Loved this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

The Fifth Sally by Daniel Keyes
    and 2nd time read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The new Stephen King, The Outsider. Very good so far and a real return to form after the terrible Mr. Mercedes trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Picked up and an omnibus edition of the inspector Mores mysteries in a secondhand shop in Manchester, perfect reading for a sunny day in the Garden.

I finished Faithful Place by Tana French. It had that sadness which I found in the previous two books. My next one was Broken Harbour and so far its my favourite. There was a lot of loneliness in it and I felt sort of empty when I finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finishing up Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker and it is brilliant, a real eye-opener (though perhaps they should be closed...!).

I'm going to Shanghai next week with work, so I have bought JG Ballard's Empire of the Sun and Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans for some Shanghai-specific reading....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Currently reading Tolkien's "The Silmarillion". I had tried to read it years and years ago and gave up halfway through. I feel like I've matured as a reader now though and am enjoying it, even if it is a little dense with detail.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The Shield of Achilles, War Peace and The Course of History... Philip Bobbitt.
    I loves a good whodunnit when the summer hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Elefant by Martin Suter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I've started My Name is Bridget - The Untold Story of Bridget Dolan and the Tuam Mother and Baby Home by Alison O'Reilly.

Fascinating and horrifying book that tells the story of the Tuam Mother & Baby Home following the life of one woman, who had the misfortune to end up there, but with lots of personal accounts of other people who survived this horror house.

The way the women are treated is nothing else but cruel, but the way the children had to suffer is simply unbelievable, as if the nuns tried to "abort" the babies after they were born and with utmost cruelty - starving them, torturing them, denying them basic hygiene and health care, not to mention love and compassion. And then there were the septic tanks ...

Highly recommended reading (especially for "pro-lifers").
    But be warned: It's a book that encourages you to go to the shed, grab the pitchfork and go after every nun that crosses your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finishing 'Emperor. The Gates of Rome', by Conn Iggulden.

Absolutely loved it and have just ordered the sequel 'Emperor. The Death of Kings' and can't wait for it!.

Great series ,liked it a lot.If your looking another fix of “ Rome “ give Harry Sidebottom a try.

Also Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I accidentally fell out of my comfort zone when I found a book someone had just finished (I hope) and left in work.

'Emperor', The Gates of Rome' by Conn Iggulden.

Started reading it in work, didn't think I'd get a taste for anything Roman and got hooked two pages in and stayed up until 3am this morning with it.

Best of all, I Googled the author and I've stumbled upon the first in a series of books. I've never heard of the author or his books and it seems I've stumbled upon a little gem

:D

Iggulden was one of the authors that started me traveling on the historical fiction road.After I finished the emperor series I read his Genghis khan series which although not on a par IMO , is still top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just finished Steve Cavanagh : Thirteen and it was an enjoyable read with plenty of twists to keep you hooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Currently re-reading The Stand for the nth time. I've genuinely lost count of how many times I've read it, all I know is that this is my second copy of it as I read the first one literally to flitters and this one is getting pretty dog-eared at this stage too.

Next up will be "The Surface Breaks".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

The spider network - absolutely gripping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Currently re-reading The Stand for the nth time. I've genuinely lost count of how many times I've read it, all I know is that this is my second copy of it as I read the first one literally to flitters and this one is getting pretty dog-eared at this stage too.

Next up will be "The Surface Breaks".
    Its a go-to Christmas present for me when I cant think of anything to get someone, nobody ever regrets reading it, the size on its own impresses them and you can get it for a fiver on Amazon whenever you want :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement