Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Reading the Steve Jobs book. I'm nearly done. What a lovable d.ickhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Read this a few years back back and enjoyed it.Still have my copy.Picked it up at the time with a a copy of Devils Guard.(The SS joining the French foreign legion in Indochina).Controversial book..........
    Went through my WW2 stage ,still have my Sven Hassel collection somewhere.:D

Enjoyed Guy Sajer. And loved Sven Hessel as a teenager, the perspective of the war from a German penal battalion was brilliant and unique even in the 70's/80's. The characters were all colourful individuals I did like the Legionnaire like many books didn't transalate to film too well

One poignant scene I recall is at the end Porta plays his trumpet in the night. Which book was that??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, what a book, about the lives of 4 people in 1970's India, quite hard in some chapters but complusive reading, its a long book but beautifully written.

Just finished The Secret Lives Of Bee's by Sue Monk Kidd, a really lovely read based in 1960's South Carolina, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

A dance with Dragons, the lastest book in the Game of Thrones series, just collected it tonight from my work collegue, devastated to find out its the last one for the moment. She got me reading them just before christmas and i am hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

John Lonnergan's book about mountjoy and all that. I'm about half way through and it's an interesting read. he's also an admirable person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gingermagic

Earths Forbidden Secrets
    Searching for the Past
    by Maxwell Igan

Discusses the many fallicies in ancient history
    Very interesting, if you like that stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You should read the book. I thought that Slash was more than fair with trying to see/get across Axl's point of view as well.

I'm sure anyone who was at the O2 (in 2010) for the last show would be able to validate the points that Slash tries to get across in the book (from 2007).

I must give it a read so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tebowfan

Working on Fight Club at the moment.

Having never seen the film in its entirety I'm getting a better idea of what it's actually about instead of relating it to the film. Something I'm sure people have trouble with considering it's more well known as a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Comeagain

DAYS OF HEAVEN -Italia 90 and the Charlton Years by Declan Lynch.

Who's old enough and cool enough to remember it in detail???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I enjoyed this also, read it last year, the Scottish accents can be tough, but some of the stories are excellent, sort of surreal. Trainspotting's good too.
    trainspotting would nearly be my favourite book ever, re-reading the acid house at the moment, some very good stories in it, even if they're only a few pages.

I've (more than) half read The Informers, by Bret Easton Ellis, and half way through re-reading it, its hard to keep interested in it, havnt picked it up in a while...

Half way through The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, by David Mitchell, havnt picked that one up in a while either, enjoyed his other books.
    And i am currently reading From Eternity to Here, the quest for the ultimate theory of time, by Sean Carroll, dont know if i'll last the distance with this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

The Hunger Games Trilogy, fantastic read.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just finished 'Fly away Peter' by David Malouf. A beautiful story about a young man and nature lover from Queensland and his brutal trench experiences during WW 1. Memorable.

Now reading Jon McGregor's 'if nobody speaks of remarkable things'. Beautifully written story about ordinary city people living ordinary lives in England. So far an absolute joy to read.

Just finished this wonderful and intensely lyrical book. It's effect is difficult to describe, there is a huge sense of familarity of the various characters/lifestyles yet one feels dazed with the series of seemingly unconnected individual poignant lives of various people who live on th esame street in any city. The story teems with emotion.

I am so glad I decided to purchase 3 Jon McGregor books, looking forward to now starting 'this isn't the sort of thing that happens to someone like you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Once again, I am reading a book by Nelson Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom. I find it a staple to revert back to for inspiration at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

sports illustrated swimsuit edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Once again, I am reading a book by Nelson Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom. I find it a staple to revert back to for inspiration at times.

Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

the GALL wrote: »
    The Forgotten Soldier
    By Guy Sajer
    About a french teenager fighting in the Gross Deutschland division WWII

That's a good book, I've read it twice.There's an argument going around online about whether its true or fiction.Opponents say his description of his uniform and his various unit's position's suggest he made it up.
    It's still a good read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Still on 11:22:63 by Stephen King..

Just not getting the time to get stuck in. Love his work and so far its a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Still reading "the better angels of our nature", a great read, highly recommended, I am learning so much from it.

BUT
    It's a hardback with 800 pages and it weighs a ton, it has inspired me to buy a kimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Haven't read anything in couple of months but devoured four of John Connolly's Charlie Parker books over Xmas...must get the rest over next few weeks. Also recently read John Daly's autobiography "Life in the Rough", Interesting read for anyone who knows the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Bill Bryson, The Lfe and Times if the Thunderbolt Kid, laugh out loud for real :p

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Haven't read anything in couple of months but devoured four of John Connolly's Charlie Parker books over Xmas...must get the rest over next few weeks. Also recently read John Daly's autobiography "Life in the Rough", Interesting read for anyone who knows the man.

I love those books, my favourite was Bad men even though Parker was only mentioned once in the whole book. its one of those novels that still lingers with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

Why the West rules - for now

by Ian Morris - history written with the pace of a novel. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Reading the grey goose of kilnevin by patricia lynch.

It's an Irish childrens book and it's incredibly surreal.

Read it as a child and never forgot it.

Just remembered another I read recently. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Had to Google it there because I couldn't remember the author's name and discovered that they're releasing a movie of it this year starring Johnny Depp (who I think could be miscast).

I'm usually not the type to get all gushy about anything but an absolutely amazing book based on life of the author. Made me want to visit India. About 800 pages long but couldn't put it down. Highly recommended. Five stars.

This guy had enough experiences to fill three or four lifetimes but for first couple of hundred pages very little happens which is why I found it strange that I liked it so much. I like a bit of action/thriller in a read but it's all very descriptive and beautifully written

Collie D wrote: »
    Just remembered another I read recently. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Had to Google it there because I couldn't remember the author's name and discovered that they're releasing a movie of it this year starring Johnny Depp (who I think could be miscast).

I'm usually not the type to get all gushy about anything but an absolutely amazing book based on life of the author. Made me want to visit India. About 800 pages long but couldn't put it down. Highly recommended. Five stars.

This guy had enough experiences to fill three or four lifetimes but for first couple of hundred pages very little happens which is why I found it strange that I liked it so much. I like a bit of action/thriller in a read but it's all very descriptive and beautifully written

It was a great read and if you go by the description, Indian prisons makes the bangkok hilton look like a real hilton. truly horrific. But I ended up not believing the author, I kind of came away think he was a spoofer. Also i think I fell for Carla as well.

I disagree with you Johnny Deff has a great range as an actor, with a bit of make up and weight I think he would be perfect.

44leto wrote: »
    It was a great read and if you go by the description, Indian prisons makes the bangkok hilton look like a real hilton. truly horrific. But I ended up not believing the author, I kind of came away think he was a spoofer. Also i think I fell for Carla as well.

I disagree with you Johnny Deff has a great range as an actor, with a bit of make up and weight I think he would be perfect.

I would agree that it does seem far fetched that one man could go through so much but the part about him escaping the Aussie prison and being on their most wanted list is factual. I remember Googling the story when I'd finished the book. Either way, should make a great movie. I always associate Depp with oddball roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Finished 'Less than Zero' by Bret Easton Ellis, a brilliant book. It did seem rather mild mannered in contrast to American Psycho. However there was one particular scene in it that I found to be far more disturbing than anything in American Psycho. Not sure what i'll start reading tonight, tempted to read Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe'. Should probably be reading college related material but eh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

i am bookless at the mo and there is no worse feeling than having nothing to read. i have five books ordered from amazon but they wont be here till fri . so to tide me over i bought a book in tesco and its crap i am not reading on, so i am bookless till fri

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Have to say re Shantaram, that in no way was everything in that actual, was def more fiction novel. An awful lot of bull****.
    He tries so hard to portray himself as such a good guy, it almost annoyed me.

Great read though it has to be said :)

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Have to say re Shantaram, that in no way was everything in that actual, was def more fiction novel. An awful lot of bull****.
    He tries so hard to portray himself as such a good guy, it almost annoyed me.
    Great read though it has to be said :)

Another thing I agree with, I find it hard to believe that he never killed anyone and he points that out repeatedly throughout the book (assuming it's true that is :P). I like to ignore whether it's fictional or not kind of like when watching Idiot Abroad andnot wanting to believe it's scripted. A kind of ignorant bliss.

On another note, to 44leto...we seem to have similar taste so I'll be watching your posts in this thread for tips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement