Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

The Man in the High Castle.. That alternative history one where the Nazis won.

Not sure what to make of it so far. Around a fifth of the way in. Does it start coming together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Going to start Archangle by Robert Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Lisa Gardener: Look for me, starting off to a great start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh.

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Nostradamus Prophecies, a thriller by Mario Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I'm re-reading "Hunger" by Knut Hamsum.

It's a very influential novel that was originally published in 1890 in Norwegian.

The main character and narrator is a penniless, often starving, half-delirious young man who tries to make money by submitting articles to a newspaper. The novel follows his wanderings around Oslo over a couple of months as he struggles to survive.

It's edgy, often bleak but also with dark humour. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Mayan Codex, a sequel to the Nostradamus prophecies, by Mario Reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Reading 'The Girl with Seven Names' by Hyeonseo Lee. It's about a young girl who leave North Korea. Incredible story, not your usual defector stuff. Well worth a read. Got it for €8 online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Finally it came.. Emperor, The Death of Kings. Conn Iggulden.

Its the sequel to Emperor, Enemy at the Gates.

Time to hide travel back to Roman times for a few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Reading is a great gift, feel sorry for people who do not read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

mariaalice wrote: »

I don't get how some people can't immerse themselves in a novel and just escape for a day or a few days.

To think for less than a tenner you can educate yourself, broaden your horizons or escape to a time and place of your choosing for a few hours or days.

I love drunk reading lol, well not drunk. But I love to sit with a bottle of wine, RTE lyric on in the back ground and my book.

I'm heading to the beach for a jog, then I'll change and sit there for an hour with my book, magic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There is an Irish author called Ben Kane who has a lot of books on Rome, I read his Forgotten Legion trilogy and thought it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

mariaalice wrote: »

Try living with a 40 yr ol who hasn't read a book since school and considers my books "clutter" :eek: That's grounds for divorce imho.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

About 53% in and enjoying this. Not what I would normally read but bought for £1 from Amazon so well worth the price. A novel where the main character has to jump to alternative realities while trying to return to his own.

A smart, pacy novel but doesn't get too bogged down in trying to explain the tech behind the reality jumping. 7.5/10

Pat Kenny (on Newstalk) interviewed an Irish author yesterday, she was speaking about her new book set in the time of 'cruelty men' and institutional child abuse in Ireland, set I think in the 1950's.

But I was busy in work and didn't get the authors name or book title, anyone get it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

"The Campaigns of Napoleon" by David Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

'The Water Cure'. It is a debut getting rave reviews. For fans of 'Milk', 'The Girls' etc. So far it's like a novel version of 'Dogtooth'. Naivete and strange rituals and adolescent yearnings.

I read 'Grey Sister' over the weekend which was OK, but not half as good as 'Red Sister'. I like a bit of Mark Lawrence.

I read 'Circe' recently and loved it so finally picked up 'Norse Mythology', but it's not as well done.

I want to read 'The Lesser Bohemians' but can't find a cheap enough copy atm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Trying to read Fight Club again also have Rules of Attraction to start might try tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Woman In The Window by AJ Finn, excellent psychological thriller. You think you know where it’s going and it takes a completely different turn.

Grace After Henry by Eithne Shortall. Don’t bother is all I’ll say.

Skin Deep by Liz Nugent. As excellent as her two earlier books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Skin Deep was indeed brilliant. Finished it only recently.
    Thanks for the tip The Woman in the Window, sounds intriguing.

My current book is probably a bit pointless in this thread, because it's in German and there is as far as I know no English translation. But who knows, there are some German speaking folk mooching around here.

It's called "Nachruf auf Amerika" by Klaus Brinkbäumer; it translates as "Obituary on America", a brilliant analysis of European or more precisely German relations with the US and the consequences of a Trump-regime.
    Since I have my historical and actual reservations about the US-American establishment and policies, this book is an eye-opener and explains the differences and bonds we have with America. It's a critical yet understanding recount of international connections and that it's time to grow up and emancipate from the dependency and the idea of "The West".

Otherwise I despair about my "book clutter" (to quote eviltwin a few posts earlier) I collected in recent times, partly thanks to this thread - so many books, that I don't know anymore where to start.

I remember the times before kindle and especially before having enough money for then luxuries like books, when I had withdrawal symptoms after finishing a book and before I could afford another one. Libraries weren't any good either on latest releases.

Sorry for the long post, I only postpone the choice for bedtime crime reading (no politics in bed). Maybe I finally tackle Mystic River?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Pat Kenny (on Newstalk) interviewed an Irish author yesterday, she was speaking about her new book set in the time of 'cruelty men' and institutional child abuse in Ireland, set I think in the 1950's.

But I was busy in work and didn't get the authors name or book title, anyone get it?.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Current-Affairs/The-Pat-Kenny-Show-p540194/?topicId=121858482
    Emer Martin is a California based Irish author and filmmaker and her book The Cruelty Men comes out June 19 - It is about Emer’s life story and continued activism .

bonzodog2 wrote: »

That's the one, thank you. Have it ordered from Easons now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Just finished Scottish author Stuart MacBride's "Now We Are Dead", a wonderfully Winnie-The-Pooh-inspired offbeat tangent to his Logan McRea series, primarily narrated (skillfully, odd though it seems, in the third person) by McRea's boss, DI Steel, and her underling, DC "Tufty" Quirrell.

A laugh-out-loud joy.

Though not from this novel, one of Roberta Steel's best put-downs: "I'll fill your scrotum with angry bees and sew it over your bumhole."

It's that kinda novel: unspeakable horror tempered by unexpected glee.

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Crime and punishment dostoyevsky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Having read Juan Gabrial Vasquez's 'The Sound of Things Falling' a while back, I'm now reading another book of his, 'The Informers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Finished Black Mass last night. Tree story of Whitey Bulger and Boston FBI. Very good and in depth.

Now to flick through this thread for some recommendations, at a loss on what type of book to try next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

rushfan wrote:
    The Reagan Diaries, by eh, Ronald Reagan.

Literally just finished reading this, it was a hard slog, normally I'd adopt the attitude that "Life is too short " and quit it but I persisted. It's the kind of book that , if you put it down for 6 months, would make no difference as, because it's in diary form, there's no real continuity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement