Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Currently reading Richie McCaw's autobiography and also "The Choice " by Philly McMahon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

gutenberg wrote: »
    Does anyone else experience that in-between feeling with books? I've just finished one, and I have a stack of books to bring away on holiday, but I'm not departing for another few days, and I don't want to start those books just yet?! So I'm trying to find something to tide me over :)

So I'm reading Rebecca Solnit's The Mother Of All Questions, a collection of her essays, perfect for dipping in & out of.

Absolutely.
    I usually go and pick a book from my shelve that I already read, but years ago, so I don't remember the details too well.
    Incidentally, that's the reason I'm currently re-reading "The Unconsoled" by Kazuo Ishiguro. And it's just as weird second time around. Like a Kafka-esque dream, so surreal and just following its own logic, on the brink of turning nightmarish any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 60% through and enjoying it a lot,although not as much as part one in series. While there are some interesting new characters in part two
    the character Pilgrim is a big loss IMO. Killing him off at the end of previous book was a mistake IMO
    . Hunted follows straight on from the first novel, introducing two groups of new characters hellbent on finding Lacey for their own reasons. It’s a thrilling journey through a bleak landscape haunted by echoes of the past and riven by the violence of desperate people. Todd skilfully captures hope and humanity in the lives of characters whom the reader comes to care about: Hunted, like Defender, is an impressive achievement.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/may/11/the-best-recent-science-fiction-eric-brown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Horus Heresy: Book 3.

The first book was great, loved the writing style.
    Second book was ok (different writer)
    Not really digging the third at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just finished listening to 'Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?' By Jeanette Winterson - very good - if you were a fan of Oranges are Not the Only Fruit this is well worth a listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Three little lies by Laura Marshall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Finished Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, and I have to say, it was completely brilliant! I was a bit skeptical at first, but it is touching and funny. A great read.

I also read I Found My Tribe by Ruth Fitzmaurice. Different, but I liked it.

I'm currently reading Peter Hopkirk's Foreign Devils on the Silk Road about Western exploration of Central Asia in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. It's much more interesting than it maybe sounds! I recently attended a talk about the discovery of many ancient manuscripts, as well as Buddhist and other religious art in caves in western China that were once part of an oasis on the Silk Road, and it completely captivated me. Was recommended this book to find out more, and I am gripped!

I love holidays...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. I can only describe it as the kind of book written by someone who had too much success too quickly and went some way up his own backside - but is well aware of it. The first chapter starts with the real Ellis describing his life up to that point, from his childhood, his early success with Less Than Zero, and the impact of and fallout from American Psycho. After that, his character morphs into a fictional Bret Ellis who goes completely overboard on the Hollywood lifestyle, crashes and burns, and then tries to lead a “normal” lifestyle in the suburbs with a movie star wife and their two kids.

The rest of the story takes place over the course of a week, in which Bret (Easton) Ellis’ past catches up with him, in a manner of speaking. So this is a very personal book from Ellis, which I see as his way of acknowledging past mistakes. It’s a deeply weird book, though; I don’t expect we’ll see a movie adaptation any time soon.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Almost finished SPQR by Mary Beard, I enjoyed the first half more than the second. I probably would have enjoyed a primer on a someof the main events in Rome's history.
    Going to read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty next.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

rushfan wrote:
    Currently reading Richie McCaw's autobiography and also "The Choice " by Philly McMahon

Update to the above: McCaw's book is dreadfully boring, rugby, gliding and that's it. Perfect bedtime reading!! On the other hand, Philly's book is a terrific read. Hard to put it down. Might post it to McCaw and tell him "Now this is a book!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Third Antichrist, the last of the Nostradamus trilogy by Mario Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Empire, The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power - Niall Ferguson
    Very interesting and well written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexander Dumas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Just finished reading Norweigan Wood by Haruki Murakami.

brilliant book extremely well written and very moving and very funny also.

It's the first of his books I've read and I;m looking forward to reading some more of his in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Just finished A Dragon Apparent by Normal Lewis.
    It’s a travel journal written in 1951 of his time in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam during french colonial rule in what was then Indochina. The writing is superb and the images he creates of a society about to change forever is mesmerising. Highly recommended.

Just started the biography of Charlotte Bronte, A Fiery Heart by Claire Harman. A couple of chapters in and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

"Blood Brothers: The Fatal Friendship Between Muhammad Ali and Malcolm X" by Randy Roberts (who has written a number of great boxing biographies, notably on Jack Johnson and also Jack Dempsey)- a really great read. Eye-opening material about Ali's early career - most of which I knew nothing about! Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Think like a freak by Stephen levitt and Stephen dubner.

Started this morning, should be finished in the next hour. Decent read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Richard Miles' Carthage must be destroyed. I can't say I'm glued to it or even enjoying it as yet. A bit heavy going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Richard Miles' Carthage must be destroyed. I can't say I'm glued to it or even enjoying it as yet. A bit heavy going.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - One of the few things I remember from my Latin classes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexander Dumas.

Just picked up the count of Monte Cristo by Dumas today,a good few years since Ive read it,I'm enjoying it more second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Hillary Clinton Living History.
    enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Picked up a few bits in Eason's the other week and finished the last of them last night. Nothing to really write home about, unfortunately:

Gwendy's Button Box - Stephen King & Richard Chizmar
    This was unoffensive, but a bit pointless. Felt like it should have been the "bonus extra" in a short story collection rather than a book in its own right.

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel
    I expected a lot more from this given the reviews. It was only ok. Lacking something in the execution that I can't quite put my finger on.

Suicide Club - Rachel Heng
    Awful. She's trying far too hard to be Margaret Atwood, but without even a sniff of the literary chops required to pull it off. Avoid.

The Travelling Bag - Susan Hill
    A short story collection by the author of The Woman in Black. Not a single scare to be had, unfortunately, and a lot of the stories felt like she forgot a final chapter or two.

The Mermaid - Christina Henry
    This was the best of the bunch, but dragged a bit in the final quarter or so and the ending felt very rushed. It did lead me to order another of her books, though.

I ordered ten new books from Book Depository today, including three Neil Gaimans, so hopefully I'll get a better return from the next batch. Now hurry up and arrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just finishing Con Iggulden's Emperor series of books.

A really fantastic series of books, fiction but based on historic fact on the life of Julius Caesar. Brilliant and recommended.

Just ordered the first book in Iggulden's War of the Roses series.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Don't normally do this but currently reading Two at the moment due to holidays. Sword Of justice was too big to bring on hols so brought a paperback(Gardens of the Moon) with me.

Sword of Justice (Chivalry)

1367: Europe stands on the brink of total war.
    Political alliances are beginning to rupture. No state is immune: England, France, the Holy Roman Empire, Milan, Genoa, Venice, Constantinople . . . Every mercenary knight for hundreds of miles must sharpen his sword and prepare for battle.
    But Sir William Gold has other problems. Just to reach Europe, he must capture its most unassailable fortress. He must also protect his liege-lord, the Green Count, from assassins hell-bent on his demise.
    The balance of power in the West will change. William Gold must trust to hope, and his men, that he lands on the winning side
    About 90% through this.Top notch Historical fiction.
    IMO no other fictional writer probably knows more ,or has a more practical understanding of Medieval combat than Cameron. Great chartacters living through real historical events ,that are not the usual "written to death" historical events.If that makes sense ;)...........

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
    Bled dry by interminable warfare, infighting and bloody confrontations with Lord Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, the vast, sprawling Malazan empire simmers with discontent.
    Even its imperial legions yearn for some respite. For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his Bridgeburners and for Tattersail, sole surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, still holds out - and Empress Lasseen's ambition knows no bounds.
    About 60% through and liking it big time so far.Part 1 of 10,so a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm finally reading Ulysses, after years of leaving it sitting on my shelf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

About 60% through and liking it big time so far.Part 1 of 10,so a long way to go.

Worth sticking with, best series I've ever read and the first is the weakest. Side books are good too.

I read Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn this week, the story of a young girl growing up in early 20th-century Brooklyn. Really enjoyed it.

I've also been working my way through Robert Brinkley's The Great Deluge, about Hurricane Katrina and its impact on New Orleans. It's hefty, but horrifying and uplifting in turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth Ware, only bought it today and can't wait to get stuck in.

Linwood Barclay's A Noise Downstairs is another great page turner of a thriller. Highly recommend it if you like crime thrillers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement