Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Dead School by Patrick McCabe

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I finished Rendezvous with Rama last night, loved it from start to finish.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Still reading "Shackleton ", it's a bit of a grind. Also reading "Cockpit Confidential ", & just started "Educated" by Tara Westover, after seeing that Obama had it at the top of his summer reading list. This morning I pre ordered "Fear " by Bob Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

The open book that is Ireland’s defence. We’re so easy to read :(

3-0 Wales. HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

REading has taken a backseat to podcasts recently to my shame but going to the library today so hoping to pick up something to refuel the fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Finished Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski (book 2 in the Witcher series).

After that I read Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. Some of the short stories in it were brilliant (I particularly liked ‘the Jaunt’).

Currently reading ‘Under the Dome’ also by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

KH25 wrote:
    After that I read Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. Some of the short stories in it were brilliant (I particularly liked ‘the Jaunt’).

"Survivor Type" is my personal favourite from that collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jaunt is probably my favourite short story ever. All Kings short stories are great and they stick in your memory like no other author.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan.

SPOILER ALERT!!

He gets killed in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fermet last Theorem its one of the best popular science book. It is peppered with a few maths puzzles which are enough to get your head going but not to difficult a bit of basic algebra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa - Adam Hochschild

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Rise and Kill First. The Secret History of Israel's Targeted Assassinations.
    Ronen Bergman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Just finished "Thirteen" by Steve Cavanagh, right up my alley of courtroom/serial killer bestseller types. Would recommend and will be on the look out for more of the Eddie Flynn novels.
    Just started into "Children of the Revolution" by Peter Robinson, seems to be your standard detective investigation novel so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

About 3/4 of the way through Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty. I'm really liking it, but the first 150 pages or so could do with a trimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Spook Street by Mick Herron

It is part of the ‘Jackson Lamb’ series of espionage thrillers, which are all absolutely excellent.

Fast paced, gripping, clever and also very funny. Couldn’t recommend them enough.

Started Vox by Christina Dalcher yesterday. It's giving me serious rage, I'm actually wondering if I'll be able to finish it. It's speculative fiction very much in the vein of The Handmaid's Tale, set in a very near future where an ultra-conservative government have reinstated the ideology of separate spheres and women are confined to domestic roles and have had their speech constrained to 100 words a day and aren't allowed to read or write. It sounds a bit gimmicky but it's actually very well-written and like all good speculative fiction, scarily plausible. I can feel my frown lines getting deeper with every page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The simple truth behind reading 200 books a year.
    https://medium.com/s/story/the-simple-truth-behind-reading-200-books-a-year-1767cb03af20
    Not a book, I know, but a motivation to read more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The simple truth behind reading 200 books a year.
    https://medium.com/s/story/the-simple-truth-behind-reading-200-books-a-year-1767cb03af20
    Not a book, I know, but a motivation to read more.

Think I'll manage about 50-52 this year which I'm happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

To the Devil - A Daughter, an occult thriller by Dennis Wheatley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Edgware wrote: »
    Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan.

SPOILER ALERT!!

He gets killed in the end

Reminds me of The Bible, good story but yer man gets killed in the end as well.

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of The Bible, good story but yer man gets killed in the end as well.

But he comes back to life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

branie2 wrote: »
    But he comes back to life

Hence categorised as fiction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

KH25 wrote: »
    Finished Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski (book 2 in the Witcher series).

Any good?
    Seeing as they're making a series, I dont want to be caught like I was with Game of Thrones.
    I want to be in the smug "thread for people who have read the books"

py2006 wrote: »
    Hence categorised as fiction...

Not really, if you look at it from a certain point of view

I finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys over the weekend. It was only alright (and I'm a huge Gaiman fan). The protagonist is a bit of a gormless idiot and I find it very hard to be anything other than frustrated with such characters.

Started Heartbreaker by Claudia Dey on Saturday. It's about a woman who escapes from a survivalist commune and is narrated in three parts, by her daughter, her dog (yes, really) and a teenage boy from the commune.

I'm only a few chapters in and haven't a rashers what's actually happening, but enjoying it so far. Dey's narrative style is quite different - think Joyce Carol Oates on acid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Bothhell Hell House by Keith Linder, gonna start it this evening maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Friendly Orange Glow, The PLATO System and the Dawn of Cyberculture - Brian Dear

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Dial Hard wrote:
    I finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys over the weekend. It was only alright (and I'm a huge Gaiman fan). The protagonist is a bit of a gormless idiot and I find it very hard to be anything other than frustrated with such characters.

I have never read any of Gaiman but would appreciate a recommendation for a first read??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How To Stop Time by Matt Haig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

kimokanto wrote: »
    I have never read any of Gaiman but would appreciate a recommendation for a first read??

Me too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement