Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Martian. It’s a bloody brilliant book. Even more enjoyable than the movie, which I enjoyed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Elly Griffiths - The Crossing Places.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Vietnam by Max Hastings & Dan Carter's autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Simon Garfield - On The Map - Why the world looks the way it does

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just finished End of Watch by Stephen King (the third in the mr. mercedes series).

and started robogenesis (sequel to robopocalypse) by Daniel H. Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Malazan Book of the Fallen, big fecker (10 individual books in one) only been reading it for 5 years now :rolleyes: Doesn't help I'm reading it on my phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Firblog wrote: »
    Malazan Book of the Fallen, big fecker (10 individual books in one) only been reading it for 5 years now :rolleyes: Doesn't help I'm reading it on my phone..

If you like long epics would highly recommend the wheel of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Halfway through "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight. It's an account of the trials and tribulations the founder of Nike went through to get the company off the ground. It's very enjoyable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just finished reading The circus animals by James Plunkett he wrote Strumpet city, its staggering the control the catholic church had in the 1950s and the book is about the very tentative questioning of the power of the church that was starting to happen. The book is a lovely story and very readable as well, has a very sad ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kindle has a selection of Noam Chomsky books for 99p today if anybodys interests head in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Firblog wrote: »

Just about to jump into House of Chains. Stormed through the first three but needed a break after them and went for a couple of lighter books.

Erikson is a seriously talented writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ten Million Aliens by Simon Barnes. Any easy read through the variety of animal life, in short entertaining essays.

Kindle has a selection of Noam Chomsky books for 99p today if anybodys interests head in that direction.

Thanks for that, I've just bought 6!!

Thanks for that, I've just spent £5.94!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rushfan wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've just bought 6!!
    See you in March:D

Reading Year One by Nora Roberts, a post apocalyptic novel where the majority of humanity dies off and the remaining have different super powers and abilities. Interesting enough but fairly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. He's a mad bastard but can certainly tell a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Drood by Dan Simmons
    Historical fiction with Charles Dickens - all right so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman, the follow up to Beartown and really love him as a writer. The town has such character about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Anyone still reading real books as opposed to Kindle/Ereader etc? Moved back to paper books and can't look at an ereader anymore. Not the same experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Anyone still reading real books as opposed to Kindle/Ereader etc? Moved back to paper books and can't look at an ereader anymore. Not the same experience.

Bit of a mix for me... I read about 50 books a year so way more straight forward to not have physical copies all the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Only paper books, here. :) The e-readers might be handy, but to me it's like eating space food: nutricious, but you miss out on so much more!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

E-reader virgin here. Only ever read actual books.

See you in March

March? Which year? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

A mix too, but find myself reading paper books a lot more lately, e books just aren't the same thing.
    I get the attraction they make a lot of sense, but damn it I just can't sniff an e book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I travel a lot for work. E-readers are second best, but a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Vengeful - sequel to Vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Atomic Habits by James Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Dorothy Koomson the Brighton Mermaid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I run and travel a lot, Audible for me, find it an effective use of time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement