Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I love my kindle, I don’t know when I last read a paper book.

The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne, a fantastic read. Really really enjoyed it. The first I’ve read of the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a combination of Kindle, audio books and paper books for me. It's just what's practical at the given time. Some books are better in audio format, some are too hefty or expensive in paper so Kindle is better but I use the library and visit Chapters a lot so I always have at least one physical book on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.
    Really well written, really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I love my kindle, I don’t know when I last read a paper book.

The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne, a fantastic read. Really really enjoyed it. The first I’ve read of the author.

I read it a while back....personally I thought it was atrocious drivel:) lol.
    Also read some of his other books which I though were quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Almost finishe “Johnny got his gun” by Dalton Trumbo
    Great read which has stood the test of time.

Incidentally if you are looking for a good movie...try “Trumbo”...excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

John Boyne is like the girl with the curl; when he's good, he's very, very good, but when he's bad he's horrid.

Good
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    Mutiny on the Bounty
    The Thief of Time
    The House of Special Purpose

Horrid
    The Congress of Rough Riders
    Crippen
    A History of Loneliness
    Next of Kin

And then a few fall into the "Meh" category, namely This House is Haunted and The Absolutist.

I haven't read Furies. I suspected I wouldn't like it based on how much i disliked Loneliness. My sister read it and confirmed my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant beat getting a bargain paperback for a Euro or two in a charity shop, I do treasure those and enjoy them more than an ebook especially reading in bed after a long day, I need my Kobo reader though, Id be bankrupt if I paid full price for everything I read. The difference isnt as big as people make out, when I think back on something I read I cant actually remember if it was an ebook or physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Thargor wrote:
    Cant beat getting a bargain paperback for a Euro or two in a charity shop, I do treasure those and enjoy them more than an ebook especially reading in bed after a long day, I need my Kobo reader though, Id be bankrupt if I paid full price for everything I read. The difference isnt as big as people make out, when I think back on something I read I cant actually remember if it was an ebook or physical.

Likewise, I usually trawl the charity shops. I'd be similarly lost without the Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Anyone still reading real books as opposed to Kindle/Ereader etc? Moved back to paper books and can't look at an ereader anymore. Not the same experience.

I got hooked on the kindle a few years ago because I had cataracts and arthritis started in my hands, making it difficult to hold a book open. Recently though, with my new bionic eyes, I read a big proper book which I propped up on an artist's easel (legless, the easel I mean, not me, at least not all the time). This was cheap to buy and is a grand solution for those of us whose mits are a bit past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Bout halfway through the last Witcher book (Season of Storms). Going to start working through the Scandinavian 6-packs of stories after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'm kind of 'in between' books as I don't want to start anything before I go away for the holidays, and I have a few things I want to devour over Christmas.

So I've been reading Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own as it is quite short. Wow. Just, wow.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Atomic Habits by James Clear.

I have this to read, probably in the New Year. Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

eisenberg1 wrote:
    I read it a while back....personally I thought it was atrocious drivel lol. Also read some of his other books which I though were quite good.

I agree re Hearts Invisible Furies, I really didn't like it at all. The humour felt forced & incongruous with the subject matter. The chosen themes are also so "right on" that u would probably be shot for criticising it despite it being badly written.
    I also loved some of his other work like
    Mutiny on the bounty & The house of special purpose.
    Pity...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

The new voices of Fantasy- collection of short stories chosen by Peter S. Beagle. Good so far and I enjoy these kinds of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Donal Ryan- From a low and quiet sea. His books are so short but so poignant. This one was hrartbreaking. Half way through Hilary Clinton book. Enjoying it more than I thought.

Just started Milkman by Anna Burns. Finding it hard to read. Lots of Northern Ireland lingo slowing me down as I have to keep rereading it? Anyone else find this an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Donal Ryan is brilliant, but didn't read his latest so far.

Currently I started reading How to hold a Grudge by Sophie Hannah.

I know Sophie Hannah as a brilliant and quirky crime writer with a devious sense of humour.
    That's why I came across this book, and the title grabbed my attention - I love a good old grudge and would like to improve this art form ... :pac:

So far I'm grinning broadly while reading. She doesn't pretend that she knows about psychology, she is just good in holding grudges and analyses them by their stages, variations, enjoyments - and benefits.

It would make a perfect Christmas gift for some, ahm, loved-ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

gutenberg wrote: »
    I'm kind of 'in between' books as I don't want to start anything before I go away for the holidays, and I have a few things I want to devour over Christmas.

So I've been reading Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own as it is quite short. Wow. Just, wow.

I have this to read, probably in the New Year. Is it any good?

Really good read, perfect time of the year to read it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Reading The wasp factory by Iain Banks. Not for the faint hearted but really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

kimokanto wrote: »
    Reading The wasp factory by Iain Banks. Not for the faint hearted but really good.

Loved that book!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

appledrop wrote: »

Just started Milkman by Anna Burns. Finding it hard to read. Lots of Northern Ireland lingo slowing me down as I have to keep rereading it? Anyone else find this an issue?

Ah,literally just started this,only five pages in and have found it phrased really strangely, so much so that I was distracted by my phone and ended up here. So it's tough going the whole way through then? Ugh,just wanted an easy read!

Finished Graham nortons new book,have to say I liked his first book and have found his second really enjoyable, a good little story told from different perspectives and I always love the familiarity of reading about Irish villages even when they are fictional (I presume!)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

The 7.5 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle- whodunit with a twist. If you like murder mystery books from Agatha Christie, you will love this book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Accidental Athlete by John Bingham
    Known by fans as “The Penguin” for his back-of-the-pack speed, John Bingham is the unlikely hero of the modern running boom. In his new book An Accidental Athlete, the best-selling author and magazine columnist recalls his childhood dreams of athletic glory, sedentary years of unhealthy excess, and a life-changing transformation from couch potato to “adult-onset athlete.”

Overweight, uninspired, and saddled with a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoking habit, Bingham found himself firmly wedged into a middle-age slump. Then two frightening trips to the emergency room and a conversation with a happy piano tuner led him to discover running and changed his life for the better.

In turns inspiring, poignant, hilarious, and heartbreaking, An Accidental Athlete is a warm and engaging book for the everyday athlete. Bingham tells stories of the joys of running; the pride of the finisher’s medal, a bureau-busting t-shirt collection, intense back-of-the-pack strategizing. An Accidental Athlete is about one man’s discovery that middle age was not the finish line after all, but only the beginning.

Followed by Michael Caine 'Blow the bloody doors off' which I've dropped my daughter enough hints for, I suspect its under the tree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Right so parking the Milkman for the moment. Just picked up Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine + I'm hooked. Already 100 pages in. It's so sad can't imagine what else is to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

M.J. Arlidge- Down In The Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Ronnie O'Sullivan's Double KIss (finished Framed 2 weeks ago) :))

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

appledrop wrote: »
    Right so parking the Milkman for the moment. Just picked up Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine + I'm hooked. Already 100 pages in. It's so sad can't imagine what else is to come.

It’s brilliant. I’m reading Crazy Rich Asians which is fantastic light escapism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I dont need to read books on ATMs, juts put your card in and type the code, easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Past Tense, the latest Jack Reacher thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Bands Of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson

I love these books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've finished An Accidental Athlete by John Bingham, done it in one sitting.

Just cracking open 'Blowing the Bloody Door Off' by Michael Caine.. Can't wait to get into the guts of this one, Michael Caine is probably my favorite actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've finished An Accidental Athlete by John Bingham, done it in one sitting.

Just cracking open 'Blowing the Bloody Door Off' by Michael Caine.. Can't wait to get into the guts of this one, Michael Caine is probably my favorite actor.

I started this about two weeks ago but I haven’t had the time to get at it much. It’s great so far though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement