Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Educated by Tara Westover, one of those memoirs that reads like an amazing novel. The fact it's true is the horrifying part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I started this about two weeks ago but I haven’t had the time to get at it much. It’s great so far though.

Blowing the bloody doors off'?.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

batgoat wrote:
    Educated by Tara Westover, one of those memoirs that reads like an amazing novel. The fact it's true is the horrifying part.

I read somewhere during the summer that this was one of Obama's favourite books , so I downloaded it. Terrific read.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

batgoat wrote: »
    rushfan wrote: »
    I read somewhere during the summer that this was one of Obama's favourite books , so I downloaded it. Terrific read.

Read it a few months back, it's brilliant!

I have Norman Davies' Beneath Another Sky, part travelogue, part history book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A Room Swept White by Sophie White.
    I'm making my way through her books at the minute. I love her.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I am snuggling up and enjoying a few easy readers for the Christmas.

A couple of books from Angela Marsons - Kim Stone's series, an Elly Griffiths and C.J. Sansom's Tombland.

Lovely jubbly!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I finished Janesville by Amy Goldstein this evening. Thought it wasn't great. The book looks at the decline of a rust belt manufacturing town in Wisconsin. Interesting concept I thought. The book covers some aspects ok like documenting the hardship faced by local families but the author glosses over the ineffectual social/government response to the town's declining fortunes. Didn't think the book was as good as some of the praise it received.

I'm on to Crisis and Comeback: Cork in the Eighties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Just finished Elinor Oliphant, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished Elinor Oliphant, really enjoyed it

I just finished it aswell. I have to say one of the best books I have read in recent times. Don't want to give too much away but it's insight into loneliness + mental health was astonishing. We sometimes think we have an idea what it must be like for people suffering in this way but only when you read a book like this that it really clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Red Sister and Sleeping Giants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

In the Dark by Mai Jia, a chinese author. It's about codebreakers. Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert.... What kind of a mind comes up with a story like that

Golden Son by Pierce Brown, know it suffers from an unstoppable protagonist but still rather enjoying the series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Tony 10 about the post office official who gambled 14 million with Paddy Power partly funded with post office money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Starting 1984 by George Orwell later.

Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Noveight wrote: »
    Starting 1984 by George Orwell later.

Looking forward to it.

Great read. It’s best known as a commentary on totalitarianism but I think it’s a great look at hyper partisan politics.

eviltwin wrote: »
    The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.

Loved that, would recommend following it with 'Educated'. Holds a weird amount in common and factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

batgoat wrote: »
    Loved that, would recommend following it with 'Educated'. Holds a weird amount in common and factual.

Have Educated in my tbr pile, will read that next. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert.... What kind of a mind comes up with a story like that
    Nothing matches it for scale, but I found a number of his other stories far stranger. Hellstrom's Hive, or Under Pressure, for example.

If you find Herbert interesting, there's a decent and free book about him here: https://www.oreilly.com/tim/herbert/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Lone Wolf Saga atm on me phone, just being nostalgic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am reading
    "i am watching you" by Teresa Driscoll, its pretty gripping so far, good bet if you like a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I'm on to Crisis and Comeback: Cork in the Eighties now.

Got this as a Christmas present, haven't started it yet, looks interesting, what did you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ulysses. I think my voyage is tougher than the one the Greek lads had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The internal monologues and the Bene Geserit stuff made me wonder if there are other philosophy texts I should be reading, he was an absolute genius.

If Battlefield Earth had been written as well as Dune Id be a Scientologist now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ipso wrote: »
    Great read. It’s best known as a commentary on totalitarianism but I think it’s a great look at hyper partisan politics.

Really enjoying it thus far. Loving the abstractness of it all.

Terribly hard to put it down! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Charles Bukowski - Post Office

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just finished "Ascent into Hell" which was fantastic, basically an everyday mans (he's Irish) experience start to finish on summiting Everest. I love those type books but anyway but found this particularly good.

Just moved onto "And on that Bombshell" by a crew member (script editor I believe) of Top Gear from 2002-2015, its very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Thargor wrote: »
    Blood Meridian is so intense and so grim, you can definitely tell its the same author as The Road.

Read both and enjoyed them both big Time.Although I did find Blood Meridian a tough read , I was glad in the end to have stuck with it.

If you liked Blood Meridian , i would recommend giving In the Rogue Blood by James Carlos Blake a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Thargor wrote: »
    The internal monologues and the Bene Geserit stuff made me wonder if there are other philosophy texts I should be reading, he was an absolute genius.

If Battlefield Earth had been written as well as Dune Id be a Scientologist now. :D

I find myself watching people's facial expressions and nuances to see what they really feel lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement